Airbrush spray booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Jim,
Get the rusty tools out, oil up the electric drill buy some 10mm MDF and build your own to your size. The fan, pipe, filter etc can all be bought online and it all works out cheaper than buying...
20230320_090652_HDR.jpg
Here is mine. I can send you a copy of the drawing to help you out and then just adjust to the size you want.
Mike.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Lots of interesting and helpful advice.
The model I'm interested in (BV300S-D) is the vented to the outside version and has a particulate filter. The BV300S is the recirculating version which has a particulate and a carbon filter. The BV300S is £100 more expensive and venting through a window works fine for me. Even the very expensive models, over £1200, which vent to the outside, do not have carbon filters.
Jim, mine vents outside, a BV300S-D and has both a carbon and particulate filter. image.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A nice idea Mike but you ain't seen my DIY skills. I'll bite the bullet and exercise the credit card.
Jim, mine vents outside, a BV300S-D and has both a carbon and particulate filter.
Maybe they have changed the specification since you bought yours. Their website certainly looks as if there is no carbon filter now in that model. I sent them an email query.
Thanks all.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use both MRP paints and have the Benchvent Exagon BV555-D which looks very similar. The booth, after 5 years vents really well and is still working as it should. In facts it sucks so well I often turn it on at least 5mins before airbrushing as it will draw in any small particles and pet hairs that happen to be around. I use a filter mask whenever airbrushing both acrylics and MRP/Tamiya lacquers but I can still safely remove it after a few minutes of airbrushing, or even after spraying rattle can primer.

The filters are available in packs of three (£57) now as well as six £108) so are good value. Obviously it all depends on usage but I avargae around three a year. I made a cut out for the hose through my wooden insulated mancave into one of those exterior flap type vent covers (it remains closed to the outside when no air pushes it open so keeps the creepy crawlies out).

My only bugbear is with its size. It does take up a lot of space especially in my cave (3x2m) but other than that, no problems whatsoever.

View attachment 477475View attachment 477476
Looking well organized Los :thumb2:

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Jim, mine vents outside, a BV300S-D and has both a carbon and particulate filter

Hi Barry, Jim et al,
It seems there is something very wrong here! and also some fundamental misunderstandings!

I am concerned some previous comments in this thread may mislead other hobbyists and apologise for hijacking the thread but feel that some information needs to be clarified...

The 300S-D is NOT intended by the manufacturer to be fitted with the carbon filter.

The filtration description taken directly from their website states the following;

"The particulate (intake) filter is a three stage graduated fibre filter with a high ‘dust’ holding capacity for long life. Filtration to 5 micron particles. NB: Spray particulate sizes vary from 10 to 20 microns. The dual process of filtration and then extraction to atmosphere via flexi-duct, vastly reduces and/or eliminates operator exposure to potentially hazardous substances."

The website categorically states;

"This is an extraction unit i.e. all odours and gases are extracted to atmosphere."

This booth uses the IFA3P filter which does not contain carbon is also not a HEPA Grade filter and is 'particulate' only in order to protect the internals of the spray booth, the fans blades and the duct, the motor design on the spray booth is suitable for;
  • Aerosol paints
  • Lacquers
  • Adhesives (glue booth for Spray Mount)
  • Airbrush over-spray
  • Solder fume
  • General solvent vapours and gases
  • Grinding dusts
  • General particulates
  • Powders
  • and more…
What I believe is causing some confusion here is the 'Standard' common label that Benchvent fit to all of their extraction units which do include ones fitted with carbon filters and more importantly ones which are designed for re-circulation such as the BV300S which is designed to re-circulate and DOES have a carbon filter, the various boxes on this table are supposed to be 'ticked' during final assembly in order to identify the Model, Voltage and what filters are fitted, it appears from the picture you have posted that these boxes have not been ticked or correctly ticked / highlighted or an X added in your case, it is very important that the 300S-D and 300S are not confused, the addition of the -D is a significant difference in design and operation.
Your unit should have the BV300S-D box ticked and then the IFA3 box ticked below, it clearly does not have the FKA3 box ticked and should not have.

The filtration description for the 300S is as follows;

"The particulate (intake) filter is a three stage graduated fibre filter with a high ‘dust’ holding capacity for long life. Filtration to 5 micron particles. NB: Spray particulate sizes vary from 10 to 20 microns. The carbon impregnated fibre filter (behind intake) assists in the reduction of solvent odours. Through the process of filtration, adsorption and dilution, operator exposure to potentially hazardous substances is vastly reduced."

The 300S also states;

"The BV300S is not recommended for continued use, such as in production applications, especially in extremely confined areas where harmful solvent vapours and fumes may accumulate."

The product data sheet goes to categorically state;

"These units are designed as predominantly ‘spray traps’ for studio/workshop cleanliness and for immediate operator protection from concentrations of airborne contaminants. They are not recommended for continual usage, i.e. production applications, particularly in confined and/or badly ventilated areas.
See extraction cabinets BV300S-D, BV200H-D and BV100H-D for total solvent odour and gas extraction, or BV660H-C or BV930H-C filtration cabinets for higher specification filtration"

This is because the BV300S DOES NOT vent to outside such as the BV300S-D, which is why it is fitted with carbon filtration....

It is VERY important to note that the 300S-D is designed to move more air than the 300S (355m3/hr compared to 325m3/hr) and has a higher Air velocity at the filter face (0.6m/sec vs 0.5m/sec, but even more importantly has a higher velocity at the hood face (0.50m/sec Vs 0.35m/sec), in basic terms the 300S-D moves more Air...

The 300S-D is designed to only use the IFA3P filter.

The 300S however can use a variety of filters and combination filters depending on the particular re-circulating application, these include the standard FKA3 particle and impregnated carbon filter, the IF3P particle filter + CHA3 charcoal impregnated filter, above combinations + PRE45 pre-filter and also the HE495P HEPA filter + PRE45 pre-filter where it is only particulate that is being protected against.

The important point here is that by fitting a carbon filter into the 300S-D you will be reducing the air flow due to the pressure drop across the filter, not only that but in real terms it is entirely pointless, as well as expensive!! unless you wish to reduce emissions to atmosphere and are looking for Brownie points from Greta Thunberg!!
In reality it is a pointless exercise as a hobbyist considering how much solvent laden air is vented from car repair shops and industrial spray paint plants!

Fitting carbon filters to the 300S-D is detrimental to its operation and serves no purpose.

I should also point out that those who own the Benchvent will know that the OEM filters IFA3P are quite expensive but with a little study and investigation many have identified that the actual filter material used is in truth a very low quality filter material and can very easily be replaced using the same frame (existing carefully modified with the use of a craft knife and some tape) using products such as DuplexPro which is a high grade fibreglass free synthetic dual layer spray booth filtration medium. Using DuplexPro you can replace the filter for a little as £1.18 a filter and thats without any discount and at full list price!!

My apologies for the long post but I very much feel it is important that misleading information about these spray booths is not circulated and becomes 'Modelling fact'.

In respect to replacement frequency for the particulate filter on the 300S-D, without having expensive measuring equipment such as an accurate hot-wire anemometer or a Velometer then it is basically down to a matter of visible contamination, this will entirely be based on usage frequency and also very much the types of paint being used.
Heavy primers which have a high pigment particle size will contaminate the particulate filter far quicker than lacquer paints being thinned 50/50 or more which will inherently have a very much smaller pigment particle size (in general).
In simple terms a fixed replacement frequency cannot be stated for this type of particle filter and is entirely subject to usage, it will not degrade just based on time.

Just to be clear on this, I do not work for Widespread Solutions Ltd (Graphic Air / Benchvent) but I do have some extensive experience in this area, I am a retired Engineer who worked in industry for over 36 years during which time I was not only a design engineer for LEV (Local Exhaust Ventilation) systems as well a paint spray systems I was also the UK National Maintenance Manager for a large international Gases company and which used extensive extraction and ventilation systems for not only large paint spray systems including those using isocyanates (2 Packs / base + hardeners) but also for Toxic gases in fume cabinets, pharmaceutical biological & chemical fume cabinets and systems subject to validation under GAMP 5 & MHRA approval (I was fully trained and a member of The ISPE) as well as HGV vehicle exhaust extraction systems.
During this time I spent weeks if not months dealing with the complexities of extraction systems as well as many filtration methods and mediums including all types of particulate filters including the design, operation and maintenance of ISO Class 5 Cleanrooms. This included dealing with sales persons from companies who would promise you the world then unfortunately fail to deliver, luckily the requirements to fully pass validation protocols meant that if their equipment did not perform they did not get the contract or if (unlikely) it had been installed they did not get paid and were contracted to remove it and recompense fully!

Hope my information helps..

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Barry, Jim et al,
It seems there is something very wrong here! and also some fundamental misunderstandings!

I am concerned some previous comments in this thread may mislead other hobbyists and apologise for hijacking the thread but feel that some information needs to be clarified...

The 300S-D is NOT intended by the manufacturer to be fitted with the carbon filter.

The filtration description taken directly from their website states the following;

"The particulate (intake) filter is a three stage graduated fibre filter with a high ‘dust’ holding capacity for long life. Filtration to 5 micron particles. NB: Spray particulate sizes vary from 10 to 20 microns. The dual process of filtration and then extraction to atmosphere via flexi-duct, vastly reduces and/or eliminates operator exposure to potentially hazardous substances."

The website categorically states;

"This is an extraction unit i.e. all odours and gases are extracted to atmosphere."

This booth uses the IFA3P filter which does not contain carbon is also not a HEPA Grade filter and is 'particulate' only in order to protect the internals of the spray booth, the fans blades and the duct, the motor design on the spray booth is suitable for;
  • Aerosol paints
  • Lacquers
  • Adhesives (glue booth for Spray Mount)
  • Airbrush over-spray
  • Solder fume
  • General solvent vapours and gases
  • Grinding dusts
  • General particulates
  • Powders
  • and more…
What I believe is causing some confusion here is the 'Standard' common label that Benchvent fit to all of their extraction units which do include ones fitted with carbon filters and more importantly ones which are designed for re-circulation such as the BV300S which is designed to re-circulate and DOES have a carbon filter, the various boxes on this table are supposed to be 'ticked' during final assembly in order to identify the Model, Voltage and what filters are fitted, it appears from the picture you have posted that these boxes have not been ticked or correctly ticked / highlighted or an X added in your case, it is very important that the 300S-D and 300S are not confused, the addition of the -D is a significant difference in design and operation.
Your unit should have the BV300S-D box ticked and then the IFA3 box ticked below, it clearly does not have the FKA3 box ticked and should not have.

The filtration description for the 300S is as follows;

"The particulate (intake) filter is a three stage graduated fibre filter with a high ‘dust’ holding capacity for long life. Filtration to 5 micron particles. NB: Spray particulate sizes vary from 10 to 20 microns. The carbon impregnated fibre filter (behind intake) assists in the reduction of solvent odours. Through the process of filtration, adsorption and dilution, operator exposure to potentially hazardous substances is vastly reduced."

The 300S also states;

"The BV300S is not recommended for continued use, such as in production applications, especially in extremely confined areas where harmful solvent vapours and fumes may accumulate."

The product data sheet goes to categorically state;

"These units are designed as predominantly ‘spray traps’ for studio/workshop cleanliness and for immediate operator protection from concentrations of airborne contaminants. They are not recommended for continual usage, i.e. production applications, particularly in confined and/or badly ventilated areas.
See extraction cabinets BV300S-D, BV200H-D and BV100H-D for total solvent odour and gas extraction, or BV660H-C or BV930H-C filtration cabinets for higher specification filtration"

This is because the BV300S DOES NOT vent to outside such as the BV300S-D, which is why it is fitted with carbon filtration....

It is VERY important to note that the 300S-D is designed to move more air than the 300S (355m3/hr compared to 325m3/hr) and has a higher Air velocity at the filter face (0.6m/sec vs 0.5m/sec, but even more importantly has a higher velocity at the hood face (0.50m/sec Vs 0.35m/sec), in basic terms the 300S-D moves more Air...

The 300S-D is designed to only use the IFA3P filter.

The 300S however can use a variety of filters and combination filters depending on the particular re-circulating application, these include the standard FKA3 particle and impregnated carbon filter, the IF3P particle filter + CHA3 charcoal impregnated filter, above combinations + PRE45 pre-filter and also the HE495P HEPA filter + PRE45 pre-filter where it is only particulate that is being protected against.

The important point here is that by fitting a carbon filter into the 300S-D you will be reducing the air flow due to the pressure drop across the filter, not only that but in real terms it is entirely pointless, as well as expensive!! unless you wish to reduce emissions to atmosphere and are looking for Brownie points from Greta Thunberg!!
In reality it is a pointless exercise as a hobbyist considering how much solvent laden air is vented from car repair shops and industrial spray paint plants!

Fitting carbon filters to the 300S-D is detrimental to its operation and serves no purpose.

I should also point out that those who own the Benchvent will know that the OEM filters IFA3P are quite expensive but with a little study and investigation many have identified that the actual filter material used is in truth a very low quality filter material and can very easily be replaced using the same frame (existing carefully modified with the use of a craft knife and some tape) using products such as DuplexPro which is a high grade fibreglass free synthetic dual layer spray booth filtration medium. Using DuplexPro you can replace the filter for a little as £1.18 a filter and thats without any discount and at full list price!!

My apologies for the long post but I very much feel it is important that misleading information about these spray booths is not circulated and becomes 'Modelling fact'.

In respect to replacement frequency for the particulate filter on the 300S-D, without having expensive measuring equipment such as an accurate hot-wire anemometer or a Velometer then it is basically down to a matter of visible contamination, this will entirely be based on usage frequency and also very much the types of paint being used.
Heavy primers which have a high pigment particle size will contaminate the particulate filter far quicker than lacquer paints being thinned 50/50 or more which will inherently have a very much smaller pigment particle size (in general).
In simple terms a fixed replacement frequency cannot be stated for this type of particle filter and is entirely subject to usage, it will not degrade just based on time.

Just to be clear on this, I do not work for Widespread Solutions Ltd (Graphic Air / Benchvent) but I do have some extensive experience in this area, I am a retired Engineer who worked in industry for over 36 years during which time I was not only a design engineer for LEV (Local Exhaust Ventilation) systems as well a paint spray systems I was also the UK National Maintenance Manager for a large international Gases company and which used extensive extraction and ventilation systems for not only large paint spray systems including those using isocyanates (2 Packs / base + hardeners) but also for Toxic gases in fume cabinets, pharmaceutical biological & chemical fume cabinets and systems subject to validation under GAMP 5 & MHRA approval (I was fully trained and a member of The ISPE) as well as HGV vehicle exhaust extraction systems.
During this time I spent weeks if not months dealing with the complexities of extraction systems as well as many filtration methods and mediums including all types of particulate filters including the design, operation and maintenance of ISO Class 5 Cleanrooms. This included dealing with sales persons from companies who would promise you the world then unfortunately fail to deliver, luckily the requirements to fully pass validation protocols meant that if their equipment did not perform they did not get the contract or if (unlikely) it had been installed they did not get paid and were contracted to remove it and recompense fully!

Hope my information helps..
Thanks for all this.

Can I interpret this as follows:

There is no need for the internal (black) filter because it vents outside, regardless of what it says on the label?

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Can I interpret this as follows:

There is no need for the internal (black) filter because it vents outside, regardless of what it says on the label?

YES...

The label is a common / standard label used on all bench vent products. Fitting the black carbon filter will reduce the airflow and serves no purpose on a 300S-D

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Alex and Barry. As I said earlier I appreciate the people on the forum who go out of their way to share their knowledge. Things are now much clearer. I have ordered the 300S-D and a set of three filters.
Now all I need to do is get the quality Barry does with his painting and I'll be a happy bunny, poorer but happy.
Thanks guys.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That is an exceptionally well argued treatise by Alex’s. It’s much clearer and better focussed than mine. I wish he hadn’t brought up GAMP 5 though. That particular mares nest of a nightmare is behind me ;).

As further explanation of hazardous substance control, here is the associated hierarchy of control diagram…
C9EF74FC-8BC9-4029-B814-D87D2AFF8C19.jpeg
This diagram reads from top to bottom, with the top tier being the most effective, and the lowest giving the least effective control.

In terms of spray control, if you substitute water based acrylics for lacquers you are performing (obviously) substitution . Using an inbuilt carbon filter or venting to outside is using engineering control. Lastly, if you wear a mask you are using PPE, which is the lowest form of control in an industrial setting.

I would suggest that if you spray for a couple of hours a day, every day, as part of your hobby, you should be looking at kit that gives you engineering control as a minimum, and seriously think about moving up a tier and employing a substitution strategy. If, like me, you spray maybe once or twice a month for perhaps half an hour at a time, then PPE and a well vented area will do you.

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
That is an exceptionally well argued treatise by Alex’s. It’s much clearer and better focussed than mine. I wish he hadn’t brought up GAMP 5 though. That particular mares nest of a nightmare is behind me ;).

As further explanation of hazardous substance control, here is the associated hierarchy of control diagram…
View attachment 477491
This diagram reads from top to bottom, with the top tier being the most effective, and the lowest giving the least effective control.

In terms of spray control, if you substitute water based acrylics for lacquers you are performing (obviously) substitution . Using an inbuilt carbon filter or venting to outside is using engineering control. Lastly, if you wear a mask you are using PPE, which is the lowest form of control in an industrial setting.

I would suggest that if you spray for a couple of hours a day, every day, as part of your hobby, you should be looking at kit that gives you engineering control as a minimum, and seriously think about moving up a tier and employing a substitution strategy. If, like me, you spray maybe once or twice a month for perhaps half an hour at a time, then PPE and a well vented area will do you.

Nice explanation @Tim Marlow

Yep GAMP 5 is a true nightmare especially when external validation consultants are involved!! :confounded::confounded::tired::rolling:

I remember many projects that never got beyond the URS and Initial Risk assessment stages lol.... Killed dead by estimates for Engineering Controls that made the sirens sound in the Accountants Offices lol.... Started using an intermediate stage with a broad Engineering Design for the FDS and then a broad scope RA and pricing submission to the steering group lol...

Now back to the Hobby Stuff lol....

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Agree with everything written regarding carbon filters. I operated ours in a clean room environment so atmospheric contamination would have been far better controlled, leading to better operational life cycles. I never took that into account.

I would also say that it’s your lungs, you protect them as you see fit. I’ve just typed this up as it may be of interest to some.

Those particulate filter change times are simply outrageous. To me that means one of two things. Either the filters are not correctly sized so they are quickly overloaded, or (cynical view) the company has decided that overselling consumables is a way to supplement income.

A HEPA filter is not a sieve (common misconception), it is a maze. I attended several (five I think) courses run by Pall filtration in the course of my Pharmaceutical production career, and they used very good graphics illustrating this concept.

To summarise, the depth of filtration material to be crossed is what makes a particulate filter effective. The particles drawn in by the air have to navigate labyrinthine pathways as the air crosses the matrix, and eventually, due to the many changes of direction they are subject to, become impacted on the filter wall and are removed from the airstream. As more particles are impacted, the “maze” becomes more involved, so removing particles more effectively.

There are three ways you can get particulate breakthrough in this type of application. The first is mechanical failure of the filter matrix. The second is by the contaminant challenge at one time being too great for the filtration matrix’s ability to remove particulates, and the third is that the challenge partials are too fine for the filter to remove them all so they are carried through on the airstream. The first is eliminated by use of quality components. The others are eliminated by utilising a HEPA filter that has been appropriately sized for the task in hand.

With use a HEPA filter becomes more effective at its primary task, removing particulates. However, as it becomes more efficient at removing particulates, the airflow velocity drops off until it is lower than an effective threshold so rendering the filtration device ineffective. This is when the filter needs to be replaced.

Here’s some background.……My reasons for attending these filtration courses was to enable me to fully understand the concepts involved in worker protection and the design, installation, testing, and maintenance of bio containment equipment. This equipment included protected powder discharge systems and biological laminar flow safety cabinets.

These systems were velocity airflow tested daily, and smoke tested (particulate challenge) at three monthly intervals. No HEPA in my experience had a life of less than two years, and most of these systems ran 24/7/365. I realise that nobody on this forum has the ability to do this at home, but it is the most reliable measurement of filtration efficacy. If you do want to investigate this further, airspeed velocity meters are cheaply available on Amazon…..

However, my experience and knowledge tells me that In infrequent home use a filter in this sort of application should have a much greater life than two months……the HEPA should easily outlast the carbon filter.
It's the same in the aquarium world, filter manufacturers recommend changing the filter media every X months. But this is where the bio-filter that actually does the work lives, so you're basically resetting the aquarium each time.
Best practice is to rinse the media, in aquarium water, to remove solid waste. And only replace once it's broken down too far, and never the whole lot at once.

The bio-filter is a bacteria that eats ammonia (Toxic to fish, but in their waste.) to produce nitrite (Still toxic) which is eaten by other bacteria in the bio-filter to produce nitrate. (Not as toxic, but lots safer.) We remove the nitrate when doing water changes.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This is the reply to my query from Graphicair.

Thank you for your email,

Correct, the carbon filters are to capture fumes and odours so that we can filter the air and recirculate it back in the room.
You’d spend a lot more on filter replacements for these units.

Ducted ones – all the fumes and odours are extracted straight to atmosphere so less filtration is needed.
We do always try to suggest if suitable a ducted unit over a recirculating one.

I think we are all of one mind now and I feel I have a better understanding than I did 24hours ago :smiling:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The Hierachy of Controls takes me back to my lab days, when I was on the units COSHH Committee and reviewing safety controls for the various chemicals in use.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
The Hierachy of Controls takes me back to my lab days, when I was on the units COSHH Committee and reviewing safety controls for the various chemicals in use.
Takes me back to today, currently PPEd up in a biohazard lab, lone working, looking at the diphoterine cabinet wondering what's in here that requires it to be present and why it wasn't mentioned during my walk through earlier. (It was mentioned when I done the clean rooms here.)
Do daily Dynamic Risk assessments here and is sometimes too easy just to tick boxes.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Takes me back to today, currently PPEd up in a biohazard lab, lone working, looking at the diphoterine cabinet wondering what's in here that requires it to be present and why it wasn't mentioned during my walk through earlier. (It was mentioned when I done the clean rooms here.)
Do daily Dynamic Risk assessments here and is sometimes too easy just to tick boxes.
Probably just for acid or alkali spills Karl. Pretty much standard kit in a lab handling corrosive chemicals these days because it’s much more effective than just rinsing with water.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Probably just for acid or alkali spills Karl. Pretty much standard kit in a lab handling corrosive chemicals these days because it’s much more effective than just rinsing with water.
Oh it's great stuff, just on lab walk throughs I'm told where it is and where the relevant nasties are stored so I can make a note on my DRA, though to be fair when I'm the only person in the lab and there are no proceses running the risks drop away. I did throw an unlabelled beaker of IPA over myself once, a quick "What's this?" and an equally quick answer saved me jumping under a shower.......
I've got a higher risk lab this morning.......must be accompanied as there's no lone working allowed, even with everything shut down. Infact this is the lab with a recirculating fume cabinet that inspired me to add activated carbon to my spray booth, which recirculates. And allowed me to do more than prime with lacquers.
(I knew there was a point to my posts.)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Karl and Tim ;) . I hadn't heard of Diphoterine so I went down the rabbit hole of looking it up, then looking up the terms used to describe it...
My experience of risk assessment is mainly about electrical and machinery safety. I kept well away from the process side of things!
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.