Airfix 1/48 Gannet, completed

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, what a joy this kit was to build! Everything just fits and works. There are a few options included and scope for the super detailing types to add their mark.

The crew are disappointing and nowhere near the standard of the rest of the kit. I managed to crack a couple of the bubble canopies by being a bit heavy handed whilst sanding out the seam line but that can't be blamed on the kit.

The final piece I fitted, the arrester hook, just wouldn't go in as the instructions suggested, so I just lopped the end off and glued it in place!

Anyway, enough waffle, here are some pics

1000006631.jpg
1000006632.jpg
1000006633.jpg
1000006634.jpg
1000006635.jpg
1000006636.jpg
1000006639.jpg
1000006637.jpg1000006641.jpg

And on the new display shelf (I need more shelves already!)

1000006647.jpg

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Absolutely fantastic. And a good companion /comparison to the Swordfish up on the same shelf

Like you said, pity about the crew figures, but that does seem to be the one drawback of modern shake'n'bake kits. That and the pilots don't fit!

BTW, what IS that on the bottom right shelf, a Beaufighter?

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I asked because the angle made the fuselage look really short, though at that angle the wings and power eggs are pretty distinctive.

Checked the build, Looks quite a nice kit

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BRILLIANT BUILD Andy just how i remember the real plane from 50 or so yrs ago at RAF COLTISHALL B/B DAY but the one i see had a yellow an black spinner on the props an what a niosey devil it was
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a great result Andy. Love it. Might bump my one up in the que lol.
Did you sort out the paint problem? It looks great in these photos.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all so much for the great comments, and I'll soon need another shelf just to house my dogs awards! :smiling4:

My wife will try to send some pics to her uncle Peter, who worked with these aircraft. No doubt he'll pull it to pieces for accuracy :tears-of-joy:

That is a great result Andy. Love it. Might bump my one up in the que lol.
Did you sort out the paint problem? It looks great in these photos.
I think the quality of the kit has inspired a couple of others here to purchase it too.

Paint is fine to the naked eye now. I can see it under magnification but that's never going to bother me :nerd:

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice, Andy. The last time I saw one of these was about 1960, on board a carrier (HMS Eagle, I think ) in Tobruk harbour. Ugly, big beast when you are young.
John.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Another great model. Looks like you’ll soon be needing to add extra shelves, though :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again everyone

And seriously missed when withdrawn from service.
The guy I mention above commented that they would have been very handy in the Falklands conflict. I've no idea myself but he was pretty certain they'd have made a difference.

Another great model. Looks like you’ll soon be needing to add extra shelves, though :smiling3:
Yes, I'm still awaiting another bookcase too. This new finish has proved so popular that my local Ikea aren't expecting any stock until March!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks again everyone

The guy I mention above commented that they would have been very handy in the Falklands conflict. I've no idea myself but he was pretty certain they'd have made a difference.
Andy, the Gannet would have given the fleet an advantage in that the aircraft and its radar gave the fleet an over the horizon view of what was ahead. Together with a data link it would have enabled the fleet to collate the data from the Gannet and feed it into the weapon systems and enable over the horizon targeting, (OTHT). Remember this was about the time GPS was coming in. Albeit some aircraft/vessels had a military system called NavStar, it wasn't as accurate as it need more satellites back then to give an accurate position.
The gap from loosing the Gannet and the introduction of the AEW* Sea King was a bad time for any fleet. No eyes in the sky. Having to rely on the RAF and USA to provide long distance vision. Captain of ships lost the ability to get an AEW aircraft airborne swiftly!

*AEW - Airborne Early Warning