Airfix 1/48 Gannet, completed

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Albeit some aircraft/vessels had a military system called NavStar, it wasn't as accurate as it need more satellites back then to give an accurate position.
Navstar was the original form of what’s now called GPS, with ten satellites launched from the late 1970s to the mid-80s. The second generation, which would become the GPS as we know it, started with 24 satellites launched in the late 80s to early 90s.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Navstar was the original form of what’s now called GPS, with ten satellites launched from the late 1970s to the mid-80s. The second generation, which would become the GPS as we know it, started with 24 satellites launched in the late 80s to early 90s.
I was never in a position to use it, (NavStar), it was only fitted to deployed front line units. Listening to other crews who had used it, to get any form of accuracy with it the NavStar system need 5 satellites to give moderate accuracy.
I was a child of the TANS system, (Tactical Air Navigation System). Input Lat and Longs to use the equipment. Very good. In Sea Kings our TANS had up to 100 waypoints. Later on when I was instructing on the export Lynx, (Mk99 ROK version), it had TANS N which had up to 1000 waypoints!! So useful in a tactical environment.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thats stunning andy , a beautifully built and painted model. Its a brilliant subject the Gannet , very successful at its job , ingenious design and - shall we say - “interesting “ looks . It looked a great build too , Airfix have hit the bullseye with this one , cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
to get any form of accuracy with it the NavStar system need 5 satellites to give moderate accuracy.
That’s not easy when there are only ten in orbit. GPS needs three satellites above the horizon, IIRC, to give a decent position (more is better) but it had 24 of them specifically so that there could always be three visible.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That’s not easy when there are only ten in orbit. GPS needs three satellites above the horizon, IIRC, to give a decent position (more is better) but it had 24 of them specifically so that there could always be three visible.
You're right from what I understand Jacko, 3 satellites needed for accurate GPS. From what I believe, the civil GPS system piggybacks the Military system. Don't know how accurate that statement is.
Probably why TANS was pushed through as the tactical navigation of choice.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
AFAIK, GPS has basically two levels: one for civilian use and one for military. Any GPS receiver can handle both, but there is some kind of setting that, when enabled on the satellites, makes civilian receivers much less accurate than military ones (in the order of 10 m vs. 1 m, IIRC). However, that setting has been switched off in the mid-1990s and never re-enabled.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Andy, a superb build, panel shading very good. Bit late for when you had cracked the canopy, on your next one if there is a seam line, fill the canopy with BluTac, it gives that little bit of support and does not leave any oily residue.
And as JR and the committee has said 'The Dogs B's'.....

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks once again everyone for the great comments. Much appreciated.

After this and the Me410 I'm sure to be buying more Airfix kits in the future. Looking forward to their Chinook especially.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Andy, I'm really late in again...A super finish to a bird I know nothing about!!! Sure looks like it was armed to the teeth too. I just wonder why the one poor blighter has to always sit so far away in the back of a 3-crew plane. Was it the beans or maybe he didn't shower regularly? Another great build and even better paint finish out of your new workshop my friend...

Prost
Allen

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Sorry Andy, I'm really late in again...A super finish to a bird I know nothing about!!! Sure looks like it was armed to the teeth too. I just wonder why the one poor blighter has to always sit so far away in the back of a 3-crew plane. Was it the beans or maybe he didn't shower regularly? Another great build and even better paint finish out of your new workshop my friend...

Prost
Allen
Allen, in reality the Gannet wouldn't be armed at all. It needed the payload for fuel as it was usually employed well ahead of the fleet. Eyes and ears. The poor guy at the back was the Observer or navigator and aerial tactician. It was always first off the catapult and was usually the very last aircraft barring the plane guard helicopter. It was a busy machine!!!