Airfix 1/600 Mauretania

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a disappointment with the aborted USS Yorktown - I browsed the stash & came up with two candidates - the Revell 1/700 Titanic, or the Airfix 1/600 RMS Mauretania. The Titanic has figured in several blogs ( of various scales ), so that went back into the stash & I'm going to see if the fragile mojo will survive building this.
DSCF3527.JPG
This will be a bit of a mixture of parts - the original moulds date back to 1964 - I have one box, with a complete set of parts & another box, with two partly complete sets of bits - however, the bits have been in storage for a long time & some have suffered, so I'm going to have to lay the bits out & sort out which are the the best. Hopefully, I'll have one good model, another which will need a bit of repair & the bits of a third - I know there is a deck missing, which would take a bit of scratching. The models were all from ebay & were sold as 'possibly not complete'. If I make a hash of one, at least I have another in the stash ( and some spares ).
As is my habit, I'm going to waterline this model - it's not my usual scale ( 1/700 or 1/350 ), but as a stand alone model that really doesn't matter.
There will be some pictures of the bits, but I don't reckon there is one complete sprue! I had the original idea of doing the Mauretania dazzle painted, as when she was a troopship in WWI, but on research, the camo is much too intricate for me & the details of her armament & added lifeboats are somewhat sketchy. A lot of detail seems to come from a card model from the late 80's. The later Airfix boxings had an alternative of all-white ( with green stripes ) as a WWI Hospital ship, but that looks a little stark.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The instructions, do not have any sprue layouts - which will cause a few problems as there are a few boat davits & ventilator cowls loose in the bottom of the two boxes & some other not recognised parts!
I have 3 sets of instructions - the oldest being with the original Airfix method of actually naming the parts - rather than the latest, which is all pictures & the parts are all anonymous!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've spent a while sorting the bits out & it's not as bad as I originally thought. Helpfully the 3 sets of bits are moulded in 3 colours white ( the oldest ). mid-grey & blue-grey ( newest ). The white mouldings were produced in France - no idea about the other two!
These are the most complete sprues, - from the latest boxing
DSCF3530.JPG
DSCF3534.JPG
Considering the moulds date back to 1964, they are in pretty good shape, a bit of flash, but no short moulds....
DSCF3536.JPG
Comparing the 3 hulls, there a few ragged edges on the latest ( left ), but considering the ages between production, nothing to worry about!
DSCF3535.JPG
DSCF3533.JPG
Surface detail is sparse - I did briefly think of drilling the portholes ( very briefly!!!! ). I only have two of the foredecks - that is the major missing part.
DSCF3537.JPGDSCF3538.JPGDSCF3539.JPG
There is very little to choose from any of the boxings
However there is some damage - the weedy staircases have suffered in some cases
DSCF3540.JPG
By mixing parts I can get a complete set!

I have two sets of instructions - the oldest being yellow with age & in the original Airfix style with exploded drawings & parts individually named................
DSCF3529.JPG
The newest instructions are only pictures ( no problems with language! )DSCF3543.JPG
The latest does have the colour option of the Mauretania as a WWI hospital ship
DSCF3541.JPG
DSCF3542.JPG
I think that the standard Cunard livery will my choice.
I'm going to select the cleanest & complete parts from the 3 sets, so I can have one model that can be made OOB. First job will be to run masking tape along the waterline, as a guide to chop it off. I might just dig out the Dremel, as it's quite a long cut that will be needed ( I'll check to see if the different plastics are harder, or softer, as that can make a difference ).
I must say, the moulds have stood the test of time & been kept in good order
Dave

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Glued the hull together & added the maindeck & foredeck. This gives a sturdy box-section, which is easier to cut than two separate hull halves.
DSCF3545.JPG
DSCF3544.JPG
The masking tape marks out the cut line - ready for my Dremel to separate the parts - always a messy job ( why I don't bother with it on smaller ships ). That's a job for tomorrow............
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Taking shape Dave.
Yes indeed 'Dremeling' the hull is messy and not for the faint hearted.
I've never tried this surgery on the separate hull sections. I wouldn't want to either.

Don't let Chris see what you are about to do. He hasn't got over my 'Bismarck Butchery' quite yet!

Good luck.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Dave you always manage to entertain us with something different. Glad you didn't choose the Titanic as it has been moddelled to death really. I'm sure you'll get one decent ship out of this. Rather you than me cutting the hull - have the hoover ready.
Poor Chris. He has had enough grief recently :tongue-out3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well Dave you always manage to entertain us with something different. Glad you didn't choose the Titanic as it has been moddelled to death really. I'm sure you'll get one decent ship out of this. Rather you than me cutting the hull - have the hoover ready.
Poor Chris. He has had enough grief recently :tongue-out3:
The Titanic has been overrepresented, given she never completed her first voyage. The Mauretania held the Blue Riband both ways for 22 years - she was built for speed, with four steam turbines, making 28 knots on trials. The Titanic was 100ft longer, 15000 tons heavier, had two steam reciprocating engines on her outer shafts & an exhaust steam turbine on the centre shaft. She was built for comfort, not speed & never could have been the Blue Riband holder. The owners, White Star Line, despite being British registered was funded with American money. The Mauretania, owned by Cunard was partly subsidised by the UK government to carry mail - hence Royal Mail Ship ( also strengthened to carry guns, as an Armed Merchant Cruiser ).
The Mauretania was withdrawn from service in 1934 & scrapped - a great deal of her internal furnishing and decorations were auctioned off & still survive in hotels & pubs in the UK
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Made a start on the superstructure - you have to paint as you go along, as areas of the wood deck can be seen, but not reached further on in the assembly.
One thing that you don't have to worry about is weathering, these ships were kept immaculate
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further progress, the superstructure is dry fitted after painting the decks
DSCF3550.JPG
Despite me choosing the best of the parts, I've found that all suffer from a degree of warping & I'll probably need to use CA for the initial tack. As always in these models, the process of touching up is an ongoing process, but I hope to get that done before adding the lifeboats & davits, which will complicate things even more.
One thing that I find on most ship kits is that the lifeboats are modelled uncovered:
boats.jpg
On the one passenger ship I served on, the lifeboats all had canvas covers, and a bit of digging found this
maurteania boat deck.jpg
The Mauretania boat deck with the row of neatly covered lifeboats ( early morning/late evening by the shadows ). I thought at first there might be a boat drill in progress, but on closer inspection the people just appear to be chatting also, too few people, no crew & no lifejackets! There are pictures with the lifeboats uncovered, but they look like they were taken during maintenance, or drill.
I'll add filler to the boats to replicate the covers ( the thwarts are massively overscale anyway ).
Dave
edit - found another pic of the starboard side
Boat_deck_promenade_(Mauretania)_(6046544881).jpgi

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave well looking fairly good :thinking:but my heart sunk to see the hull cut down like 570 did on his bismark OH DEAR :thinking:im sure he did that to wind me up LOL;):crying: but at least this ship is gettin built oh it hurts me to see that done :sick: :anguished: but i know you have your reasons for doin it but couldunt you have made a bit deeper seascape to allow the hull to sit in full hull :crying: ? AN yes i know the bottom part of the hull wont be seen as its underwater but with a full hull at least we know its there lol
Chrisb

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
HI Dave well looking fairly good :thinking:but my heart sunk to see the hull cut down like 570 did on his bismark OH DEAR :thinking:im sure he did that to wind me up LOL;):crying: but at least this ship is gettin built oh it hurts me to see that done :sick: :anguished: but i know you have your reasons for doin it but couldunt you have made a bit deeper seascape to allow the hull to sit in full hull :crying: ? AN yes i know the bottom part of the hull wont be seen as its underwater but with a full hull at least we know its there lol
Chrisb
Chris,
when you look at a ship in it's natural environment, you don't see the hull! The only time you would see the full hull of a completed ship is when it's in dry dock, or has run aground! I agree the massive full hull models seen at the Science & the National Maritime Museums are stunning, but at the scale of 1/700, I prefer waterline. Deepening the base to enclose the hull would be a lot of work for little purpose, except to increase the weight & use a lot of material.
I'm going to continue my surgery - I have several 1/350 models ready for the saw - including Scale Model Shop Emden, HMS Dreadnought & HMS Agamemnon. I do have a couple of models that will be done full hull - the 1/144 Fairplay tug & the 1/72 Viking ship - mainly because of the extreme difficulty you'd have cutting the hulls!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK Dave many thanks for your reply an exsplanation but next time i'll look through slitted fingers lol
chrisb

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some of the smaller ventilators had flat faces...................
DSCF3577.JPG
Exactly the small job that I got my rotary tool for - a few minutes work with a burr...............
DSCF3578.JPG
It would have been better to do his before painting - hence the rather fuzzy edges!
I'd filled the lifeboats with putty, then used the drum sander bit to smooth them out
DSCF3579.JPG
Getting there.............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
How to go from reasonably happy to p****d off in a few minutes!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad:
Just putting the finishing touches to this - these are the Airfix Instructions for painting:
morrt line.jpg
I'd just accepted that these were correct - I must have looked at a lot of pictures of the Mauretania & never taken notice.
Mauretania 01.jpg The hull black is virtually a straight line from the foredeck aft - no step up and down, as the Airfix drawings have. The Airfix drawings say '1909', so conceivably she had this scheme that year, but haven't found any pictures that show this. Very annoying - so do I correct it as per photographs, or leave it as the Airfix drawings?
Just goes to show that you can do research, but not see what is really obvious.............
Dave