Alternative to Dremel?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The whole point is that I would like a cordless gizmo - I have a Dremel, but it takes up too much room on my bench & the cables are a drag. It means that when I could use it for a small job, I don't. If I have a cordless, then I can use it straightaway & keep it immediately to hand.
When I think on how many times I have used the Dremel, twice this year & not much more in the preceding years, then I realise it was NOT one of my most cost effective purchases - one of those 'got to have it' moments that I normally resist! I realise that I don't need the power that the larger rotary tools have - only working on plastic & at a push modelling clay doesn't need a lot of Oomph!
I'm going to get one of the cheaper ones - my brother has expressed a liking for the Dremel & I'll gladly post it to him.
Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
The whole point is that I would like a cordless gizmo - I have a Dremel, but it takes up too much room on my bench & the cables are a drag. It means that when I could use it for a small job, I don't. If I have a cordless, then I can use it straightaway & keep it immediately to hand.
When I think on how many times I have used the Dremel, twice this year & not much more in the preceding years, then I realise it was NOT one of my most cost effective purchases - one of those 'got to have it' moments that I normally resist! I realise that I don't need the power that the larger rotary tools have - only working on plastic & at a push modelling clay doesn't need a lot of Oomph!
I'm going to get one of the cheaper ones - my brother has expressed a liking for the Dremel & I'll gladly post it to him.
Dave
Understood Dave, But suggested the COMO as an alternative. I am the same with the Dremel, got the drill, stand etc and used it only a couple of times. And since then it has been hung up in the shed keeping the spiders happy....
Mike

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Dave, if you do take a punt then please let us all know how you get on with it,
i'm currently toying with grabbing another, but it's all down to how much i think i'll use it..

(my father is a yorkshire man, so i'm guessing some of the caution i have about throwing good cash around must come from him...does that now make me an honorary Yorkshireman ?)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave, if you do take a punt then please let us all know how you get on with it,
i'm currently toying with grabbing another, but it's all down to how much i think i'll use it..

(my father is a yorkshire man, so i'm guessing some of the caution i have about throwing good cash around must come from him...does that now make me an honorary Yorkshireman ?)
Chris,
sorry - to be a Yorkshireman. you not only have to be born in Yorkshire. but both parents have to be Yorkishire born as well - on my maternal side we've gone back to the 1780's ( all textile workers in Bradford ), but my paternals only goes back to the 1900's! ( my great - grandmother came from Derbyshire )
I'll certainly post up a review when I get it ( ordered 10 mins ago )
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Damn.. the nearest I can get to that is my father, and his father were born in Yorkshire...(Scarborough to be exact), my Mother was born in Derby, funny thing is though that my surname apparently comes from around the Bradford area .... so i guess I could claim to be some sort of Hybrid ...lol

looking forward to your review mate

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Damn.. the nearest I can get to that is my father, and his father were born in Yorkshire...(Scarborough to be exact), my Mother was born in Derby, funny thing is though that my surname apparently comes from around the Bradford area .... so i guess I could claim to be some sort of Hybrid ...lol

looking forward to your review mate
The maternal side all seemed to be employed by one or two woollen mills & live locally - often on the same street & all went to the same church for births, marriages & deaths - so it was easy to track them down! The only one that stood out in the census returns was a 'Jacquard Card Puncher' - which had to be looked up! he rejoiced in the name of Orlando ( must have been a Shakespeare influence somehow )
One of the hopes in doing a family history is that something juicy turns up, but the maternal side were all solid law abiding citizens, with no scandals ( at least none we could track down ). On the other hand, the paternal side...................
Dave

First Name
Adam
I've just been waterlining the Airfix Mauretania hull
View attachment 464621
I've had a Dremel for quite a long time. I never leave it set up, because of the cables & the need to have a spare electric socket. In consequence I don't tend to use it as much as I might. I wonder if anyone if anyone has a rechargeable/cordless alternative to a Dremel - their cheapest is around £70 - it doesn't have to be a 'professional' heavy duty model, just the occasional use - there are a few around, but some of them are pretty cheap & look it! I'm not really wanting to drill with it, just use a slitting saw, sanding drum & burrs - all for short periods.
I'd be grateful, if anyone could point me in the right direction ( especially through personal experience )
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave, Aldi had a rechargeable one for about £16 the other day,

First Name
Noel
The Parkside tools in Lidl are quite good. I have their bench disc sander that works well for me. I would imagine their cordless tool will be very good for the price.
Besides the cordless tool every now and again they have sets of mini tools in a round container for sale that can be used in their cordless mini tool and others like Dremel, Proxxon etc.

Incidentally, Proxxon make a large range of small power and hand tools for the modeller. They probably have a cordless rotary tool in their. They make good quality tools.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Parkside tools in Lidl are quite good. I have their bench disc sander that works well for me. I would imagine their cordless tool will be very good for the price.
Besides the cordless tool every now and again they have sets of mini tools in a round container for sale that can be used in their cordless mini tool and others like Dremel, Proxxon etc.

Incidentally, Proxxon make a large range of small power and hand tools for the modeller. They probably have a cordless rotary tool in their. They make good quality tools.

Thanks for that Noel - I went down the ( really ) cheap route:
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/tacklife-rechargeable-rotary-tool-review.40311/
So far it does exactly what I want - it's only for light duty stuff on plastic, but I'm happy with it!
Dave

First Name
Noel
It is horses for courses with mini power tools whether cordless or not. If used only very infrequently on plastics and wood then a real cheapo will suffice. The Parkside tools sold in Lidl are good quality tools for the price. The only downside is now Lidl markets those tools. They appear for a few weeks then disappear for another year. So buy when you see them!
If you are looking to use the tools a lot then I would suggest going a bit upmarket and look at Dremel, Proxxon or similar

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Dave, just found this on the rainforest site
whizzy grindy thingy me jiggy it might help..

Hiya Dave,
I have one of these, mine is branded as TackLife but is the same and was bought off Amazon. I have had it for about 2 years and for the price is a nice little tool. I particularly like it because its a lot smaller than others and very easy to handle in tight spaces and is very light weight.
It has 3 speed settings and works fine for light duty sanding / cutting etc..
It is not as powerful as the 7.2V or mains versions but for a 3.7V tool works fine. It uses the standard Dremel / David Union type collets and mine came with 1/8", 3mm & 2.35mm collets.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That Dremel looks like a very nice bit of kit Barry.
It is and while I don’t get a great deal of use out of it, it proves it’s worth when I do. I have sometimes wondered whether it might be worth getting a stand for it.

First Name
Noel
Long time since I looked at this thread. A Dremel of similar is like having a Bosch or Black and Decker Drill. Hardly ever used but priceless when you need it!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ain't it strange, My Dremel sat unused for yonks until I took up modelling, now it's used more than ever. Have it hung on a hook just off stage so to speak and the cable is neatly hidden away. Mind you, I don't have the stand or any of the gizmo's that are usually associated with it. It's useful for me. Horses for courses I guess!!

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brought mine thinking it was the bee's knees, only used it twice .