Andrew's 1/48 Tamiya Raiden

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all!

That's right.........for those of you that know my work I am deviating from the one true scale that is 1/72.

Having acquired sixteen 1/48 wingy kits in 6 months, it was about time I actually built one. This will be the first ever 1/48 wingy kit I have built and is also my first Japanese plane as far as I can recall - certainly not since I came back to the hobby.

As this is the first large(r) scale aircraft I have built, I will be keeping it very simple. So no mass use of AM parts or PE, aside from some metal barrels. No point in biting off more than I can chew given I'm brand new to this scale and know virtually nothing about Japanese planes. This does though mean that I will have to put up with the heavy Tamiya decals.
:'(

So initial impression is that it's huge....certainly compared to 1/72!!! Truly massive!!
???
:o

Second impression is that for a kit that was first released in 1973 (HERE), it looks pretty good, albeit this is the 2008 reboxing. Obviously not up to modern standards but should turn out a decent enough plane and for the very reasonable price of £13.53 delivered.

I also had to buy some IJN paints for the build too and went for my usual Vallejo ones, and of course having got the paints I was forced to go out and buy more IJN kits to make the most of them!
8-)
So you might see a second one if I can turn this around quickly!! :smiling5:

Oh and in a nice touch is that it contains a couple of good quality pictures of the planes you can build, I assume to make up for the 1973 black and white instructions.

As Andy is also doing one, it will be interesting to see how we approach our respective offerings.

So no more now on this until 1st July!

ATB

Andrew

------------------------

Some vintage instructions......nice and simple.....

And the nice colour shots

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
The Raiden is one of my all-time favorite aircraft, and 1/48 scale is the preferred scale of genteel modelers the world over (as well as the occasional barbarian and ruffian, myself excluded from the latter of course ;)) :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: Those decals do look rather industrial though. I am sure you will enjoy the build; it looks like a decent kit.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The Raiden is one of my all-time favorite aircraft, and 1/48 scale is the preferred scale of genteel modelers the world over (as well as the occasional barbarian and ruffian, myself excluded from the latter of course ;)) :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: Those decals do look rather industrial though. I am sure you will enjoy the build; it looks like a decent kit.

Looks like a very nice kit Andrew, and I’m sure you’ll do a cracking job. Looking forward to it.

Looks good Andrew, good luck with your build :thumb2:

Geoff.

Thanks guys and apologies for the belated response! Not long now is it!

ATB

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
:cool:Thanks guys and apologies for the belated response! Not long now is it!

ATB

Andrew
Good evening Mr.Andrew Sir :smiling3:
Sorry for not chipping in earlier... It's been hard keeping up with everything in this past, very hectic, week ;)
That Raiden really is a pretty big beastie eh!??... Should look rather nice though :thumb2: .... In respect to your build of it, I'll do mine 2nd,after my Hasagawa bomber kit:cool:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening Mr.Andrew Sir :smiling3:
Sorry for not chipping in earlier... It's been hard keeping up with everything in this past, very hectic, week ;)
That Raiden really is a pretty big beastie eh!??... Should look rather nice though :thumb2: .... In respect to your build of it, I'll do mine 2nd,after my Hasagawa bomber kit:cool:

Damn! My plan had been to follow you and pick up on any issues you had......foiled again! ;) :smiling5:

Believe it or not I have actually not cut any plastic yet. focussing on my JPs!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good afternoon all

So as the GB this is for started yesterday, I have been cutting a small bit of plastic.

Now, I will probably be incurring the wrath of the Modelling Gods but I have not started with the cockpit!
That's right....a wingy build not starting with the cockpit!!

Instead I have started with the pilot...purely so the rattle-can primer would have a chance to dry whilst I got on with the rest of the build. There was a bit a seam line all the way around him but nothing too major.

All things considered, he's not looking too bad considering he's 50 years old, albeit his current perch looks a tad uncomfortable!
;)

Its our model club tomorrow night and so I think I'll hold off cutting any more plastic, so I can work on it then but at least I have started!

ATB

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,a start is a start Andrew :cool:
I have had a cursory glance at the pilot in my one too,my first thoughts, he looked a little "chunky",be interested to see how yours paints up,and fits :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well,a start is a start Andrew :cool:
I have had a cursory glance at the pilot in my one too,my first thoughts, he looked a little "chunky",be interested to see how yours paints up,and fits :thumb2:

Good luck with this Andrew, looks like a great kit

Thanks guys! Glad you like it!

OUCH!!! That's gotta hurt Andrew..............

He got the point though.....

Don't forget I had to drill the hole first....... ;) :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I am far from an expert in Japanese warbirds, but that looks like a good one.
Feel sorry for the pilot though!

Neither am I.....it kinds of reminds me a bit of the early 'razorback' versions of the P47...or at least a slightly chubby cousin! :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

So Monday night was club night and so I took this kit to work on. By the end I had the fairly basic cockpit constructed. The fuselage halves and wings were also off the sprue by the close.

This has allowed for a bit of a rudimentary dry fit. This has highlighted that there is not much support for the rear of the underside wing to grab on to where it joins the fuselage when it's put in place but I have a cunning plan.

Wings are now gluing with the help a 'few' 'clamps'.

Best of all the pilot actually fits in his seat!! This is unlike every 1/72 Airfix pilot I have ever used......I now cut their flying boots off before bothering to paint them, I've had that many problems in the past.

Is it an uber detailed modern kit? Nope!!! but it's going together ok so far!

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

----------------------------

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking very neat and tidy there Andrew :thumb2: ,
It is quite a "chubby" looking plane isn't it? You're right about that pilot....he looks very "at home" in there!:cool:
Good stuff mate.
P.S. I'm sure you could've got another couple of "clamps" on there!;)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very neat and tidy there Andrew :thumb2: ,
It is quite a "chubby" looking plane isn't it? You're right about that pilot....he looks very "at home" in there!:cool:
Good stuff mate.
P.S. I'm sure you could've got another couple of "clamps" on there!;)

Junior was the typical blunt teenager and just called it fat....I was trying to be a little more circumspect!

I think I also need to educate him on racial stereotyping. When I told him it was a Japanese plane, he immediately asked where the sushi storage compartment was.... :sad-face:

Looking good Andrew. Interesting subject.

Thanks Tim. It is a bit different....although I'm still coming to grips with how big it is!

ATB

Andrew