Andrew's 1/48 Tamiya Raiden

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

And so on the final day of the GB and with approx. 1hr 40 minutes to go.....I present the closing post of this thread!

I didn't want too shiny a finish, so rather than my usual satin finish I experimented with a final coat of a 50/50 mix of Vallejo's Matt and Satin Resin varnishes......which leaves just a light sheen.

The undercarriage posed the worst problems.....part of it was my fault, with me not properly reading the instructions that made it clear the undercarriage parts were slightly different for each side.....and so should have been impossible to put them together the way I did!

....but the worst part was that the sockets for the undercarriage were 'generously' sized, making it hard to get them at the correct angle and lined up with each other.

As you will see below, once they were reasonably solidly glued in, I left it hanging to dry properly....I didn't want to risk it spreading under the weight of the plane as it dried. I'll leave it overnight like that.

I hadn't appreciated just how much of the cockpit would be visible at this scale and so I am glad I scratched a new radio, which I am really pleased with.

A few pics of the final stages and the finished article are below but I'll post some more in the finished gallery when I get the chance.

Thanks to all who have stopped by and offered their support during this build!

ATB

Andrew

------------------------------------------------------

Prepped for the final assembly....

I'm really liking the final finish....

White blotch on the rear of the wing root must be light reflecting somehow, as it's not there in real life.

Getting the undercarriage right - hopefully!!

Left hanging to set properly when I went out for the evening.

Not looking too bad at all, even if I say so myself...but better pics to follow!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Very nicely done Andrew and congrats on getting it over the line before the finish :smiling4:

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, lovely stuff indeed ,:cool:
Nice clear pics too,which really show off the Pilot and interior as well.
Congratulations Andrew:thumb2:.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done Andrew and congrats on getting it over the line before the finish :smiling4:

Geoff.
Excellent work Andrew, a great result.
Great job Andrew. Excellent result.
Yep, lovely stuff indeed ,:cool:
Nice clear pics too,which really show off the Pilot and interior as well.
Congratulations Andrew:thumb2:.

Thanks chaps!!! Glad you like it too.

Unfortunately, decent pictures will have to wait..... currently sat in A&E with Junior.

He saved an extremely powerful shot and certain goal Friday afternoon in PE and ever since he has been in severe pain.... swelling has not subsided either.....

Last time he hurt himself like this, we ignored his complaints for a week..... Turned out he had a hairline wrist fracture!

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What a bummer!! Hope it's nothing major and the swelling subsides soon:hugging-face:.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
What a bummer!! Hope it's nothing major and the swelling subsides soon:hugging-face:.

Thanks Andy.

Queue was fortunately very short when we arrived.... He's had x-ray just waiting on results.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hope its nothing serious andrew , at least he saved the goal . Raiden looks excellent , cheers tony

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi al

Hope its nothing serious andrew , at least he saved the goal . Raiden looks excellent , cheers tony

Thanks chaps! Turns out Junior had a buckle fracture.

As he is still young, his bones still have a bit of spring to them and so rather than break or fracture, they bend a bit if the force is not too great. Painful in the short term but it is treated as a soft tissue wound, with a wrist support. He should be fine in 3-4 weeks. Thanks for asking!.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi al

Thanks chaps! Turns out Junior had a buckle fracture.

As he is still young, his bones still have a bit of spring to them and so rather than break or fracture, they bend a bit if the force is not too great. Painful in the short term but it is treated as a soft tissue wound, with a wrist support. He should be fine in 3-4 weeks. Thanks for asking!.

Andrew
Good news,send him our best :smiling3:
.... sounds like a budding Peter Shilton is in our midst :cool:.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Superb job Andrew

My apologies for not seeing and commenting on this great build!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Superb job Andrew

My apologies for not seeing and commenting on this great build!

No problem at all Bob, I know you have had a lot on your mind what with your mum!

Speak soon.

Andrew