Attitude Change!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Since my return to the world of modelling I find I have changed my attitude to a few things. Recycling for example.
Instead of dumping stuff straight into the respective bin to be carted away. I now find myself asking, 'could I use that'. An example, yesterday, wife had received a Mothers day gift from No2 son! A very tasty Cornish Scone box. The usual scones, cream and jams. Well!! My eyes were drawn to the jam pots!!! Nice and small!! They'll be just right for pre mixing paints I thought - They were salvaged! Some paint brushed I had received the day before, the brushes were protected by small rigid clear plastic tubes! Again - salvaged!
Just a couple of examples. I am totally looking at things differently these days. Anyone else?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Since my return to the world of modelling I find I have changed my attitude to a few things. Recycling for example.
Instead of dumping stuff straight into the respective bin to be carted away. I now find myself asking, 'could I use that'. An example, yesterday, wife had received a Mothers day gift from No2 son! A very tasty Cornish Scone box. The usual scones, cream and jams. Well!! My eyes were drawn to the jam pots!!! Nice and small!! They'll be just right for pre mixing paints I thought - They were salvaged! Some paint brushed I had received the day before, the brushes were protected by small rigid clear plastic tubes! Again - salvaged!
Just a couple of examples. I am totally looking at things differently these days. Anyone else?
Have several of those jam pots.... So many in fact I had to send some for recycling as I had more than I could store!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I've become a hoarder :smiling6: besides practical usage I find myself looking at things that have scale usage in 1/35. Marie biscuit clear holders are the latest for waterfall.
I'm with Andrew as well recycling the collection of containers and polystyrene trays.

Cheers,
Wabble

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN YES im also a hoarder as i use the clear plastic covers on things that i buy an use the cover it protect any eletric unit to stop damp gettin in
chrisb

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I have the same attitude: before binning something, especially when it's a pot or has an original shape, I consider it's possible use in modelling.
My bench drawers are full of those objects whose reason for being there has often become unretrievable. :upside:
What I really find useful are those graduated plastic cups for mouthwash or cough syrups (which are useful but I'm not fond of) and wooden sticks from ice creams (which are useful and I'm very fond of):tongue-out:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I have the same attitude: before binning something, especially when it's a pot or has an original shape, I consider it's possible use in modelling.
My bench drawers are full of those objects whose reason for being there has often become unretrievable. :upside:
What I really find useful are those graduated plastic cups for mouthwash or cough syrups (which are useful but I'm not fond of) and wooden sticks from ice creams (which are useful and I'm very fond of):tongue-out:
Thanks for that , several items added to my 'keep an eye out for' list!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Foil containers from Indian & Chinese takeaways - cut into fine strips for seatbelts & straps, slings etc ( remember to wash them! ), will hold shape very well. If you want something thicker cut a Coke can up, you can run a flame over the material to burn off any paint & laquer coating & with care you can get a large piece out.
Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Foil containers from Indian & Chinese takeaways - cut into fine strips for seatbelts & straps, slings etc ( remember to wash them! ), will hold shape very well. If you want something thicker cut a Coke can up, you can run a flame over the material to burn off any paint & laquer coating & with care you can get a large piece out.
Dave
Will have to remember those two Dave!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The lidded plastic tubs that our local Chinese takeaway use are perfect for storing "scenic" materials for diorama. I horde them all and have a load chock full of bought stuff like static grass etc but then many with home made items like old coffee grounds, used tea leaves, sawdust, sand, soil, twigs and just about anything I see lying around that might come in handy!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The lidded plastic tubs that our local Chinese takeaway use are perfect for storing "scenic" materials for diorama. I horde them all and have a load chock full of bought stuff like static grass etc but then many with home made items like old coffee grounds, used tea leaves, sawdust, sand, soil, twigs and just about anything I see lying around that might come in handy!
Love them too!!! Also the perfect size for 1/72 scale WW2 and even small 1/35 AFVs!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
All my basing materials are held in those…..extremely useful things….

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Caught myself on and stopped hording, I used to but never really looked at any of it.
Don't even keep left over kit bits.
Do keep decals though.

I do however re-purpose stuff, takeaway containers, Gú pots, various lids etc.
I also tend to keep packaging boxes for packing stuff up to post out.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
My problem though Tim is that ill keep an old kit box with all the old sprues in just because there might two grab handles left over :tears-of-joy:
I must admit I clip them down and just keep the spare bits, and even then only when I know what they are……got three boxes of scrap etch, scrap plastic, and metal odds and sods though……at least 99.9% of which will probably never be used……

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Yes, I too have become a hoarder of thing that I think may be of use at some time, for something.
However, as has been noted, a lot will no doubt never be used, but, just let me throw it away and it would be just what I needed for the next thing I'm making.
So atm nothing gets thrown out before very careful consideration, even SWMBO keeps asking me whether I need this or that before chucking it.