Battle in the city (Nam) start construct.

T

thanan

Here is my new diorama and I start construct it on yesterday. This diorama decide to scene of Vietnam war in Hua city. It is about 50% finish and if any ideas to this diorama please give me some suggestion. Thank you.

B

bikerbart

Thanan, this is simply awsome diorama building, im blown away by the detail and build of it. Superb, im very much looking forward to watching it continue to come together, regards Martin :smiling:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I like the look of this one. Defo gonna follow it

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice start. What will you out into your diorama? I don't know much about the fighting in Hue but I'll be watching this one.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Superb detail already Thanan.

With you saying you use Gypsum plaster, is this what you are using here or is it polystyrene sheets?

I can't tell from your pictures, but which ever you are using it is very good.

Thank you for showing us.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think, Ron, That they are plates of plaster which are being carved/sculpted. With exeptional skill I might add!

My Humble opinion on this that the plaster is probably much easier/better to carve as you can get much more detail into it. I think expanded poly would just end up as bean bag fill in no time!!

I must say this is exelent work you are doing Thanan.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I thought they would be slabs of gypsum plaster Ian, going by the detail....

Thanan, what I find it hard to understand is how you can handle big pieces without them breaking. Is it just gypsum + water, then cast in a mould or do you add anything to the mix for strength?

Thank you,

Ron

B

bikerbart

I disagree im afraid chaps!!! That looks very much like foam board to me, i might be wrong, it would not be the first time. You know the stuff you can get it has a plain sheet of thick paper/card that covers the foam board, you simply peel that paper/card off tboth sides to reveal the foam, you can get it in art shops etc and all sorts of thickness. Cab be used to superb effect for dio's, it is very easy to sculpt, and is not at all like the usual polystyrene, this stuff is really heavy density so does not break up like the normal polystyrene. I will wait to be proven wrong now lol. :smiling:

R

Richy C

Whatever it is made of I also would like to know , but one fantastic build Thanan , 1st class work and I can`t wait for the next stage

will be watching with much interest , always liked the Nam stuff ( I think quite a few of us can relate to getting in from the pub on a friday night half cut with a takeaway and finding Tour of duty on the box , happy days )

Richy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanan we need an answer so we can go and buy whatever you are using!

Martin, I never realised such stuff was around, thanks for the info. it will be interesting to read what Thanan actually uses to such good effect.

Richy, I have always been interested in the Vietnam conflict (For once we kept our noses out!) I was in my mid/late teens when it kicked off and I well remember watching it every single night on the T.V. news in all it's nastiness for something like 5/6 years. Then U.S. public opinion kicked in when the body count mounted.....Do I detect a parallel somewhere.......!!

Ron

Sorry Thanan, I'm stealing your thread a bit.

T

thanan

Hi all friends, I am so glad to receive all of yours reply and comments and thank you so much to all of you.

Hi Ron, as your question of the material use for this is gypsum plaster mix with a little glue(latex) to make it a bit harder.

I shall start next step on today and maybe can post on tomorrow. Thanks again to all friends.

Thanan.

B

bikerbart

Well i'll be ......told you i would be wrong lol. Shows what i know!!! :smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Na na, na na, na!! lol

Joking apart, thank you for answering our question 'What is the material you use?"

Thanan, finding out it is Gypsum you are using for this diorama makes your skills even more impressive.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
:tongue-out:

Told you so. A mix of plaster of paris, with PVA thinned down with water. Great for carving just cast a block or sheet let it cue 110% and get to work. If you are nervous about the flat sheets breaking, you can put a piece of gauze or net in the middle to reinforce it.

If you want to make the same mix for filling and forming be warned, it does go over pretty quick so dont mix more than you can use. About 5mins and you have a large rock with a spatular sticking out of it!!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hey guys, what about Nam as the next GB theme ??????
NO WAY! that would mean I would have to but that 1/35 Chinook! (and probably a new house).

B

bikerbart

Whooooaaaa a 1/35 Chinook......now that would be awsome...come on Ian you know you want to lol :smiling:

T

thanan

Hi, come again with some of reference images to this diorama. I'm start making doors windows and stair but every work that I plan to do for this day stop after my friends bring me a dozen of beers, so drink it first for this holiday and start all work on tomorrow cheer!!!!!!!!!!!.

B

bikerbart

Some amazing ref photos. Hope you enjoy the beers, must say its got me wanting one now :smiling: Best not do anymore to this dio until ya friends have gone back home and the holiday has finished !!! Enjoy the rest, regards Martin