Billings HMS Victory

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Hi Paul,The build looks great! Very nice work with the gallery. I took your advice with the admiralty paints - its such a painstaking process getting the colour just right (and uniform!) if you've watered down the mix.

In case you missed it, i'm also making a build log; i'm slightly behind you but it may be of some use to you sometime. The link for the thread is: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/general-boat-chat/19238-cadgeys-billing-hms-victory.html#post167317

Keep up the good work,

Sam
Thanks Sam... I know what you mean about matching the paint. I found if I wanted a uniform finish I just made lots of that colour, but I like a subtle difference in colour across the different decking.

I looked at the decking on the Victory herself and noticed the different decks were slightly different shades. I guess with the elements and seawater or lack of changes their appearance.

Paul

R

Retep406

Hi Paul, nice work on the planking, its all loking very nice and accurate. I was wondering if you could upload a few photos of the kit contents/parts. I am looking to buy the billings victory after my current ship is complete! Thanks very much,

Pete

S

Screw Loose

Hi all... No probs Pete I will put some on now.

I am still on with the planking obviously... I think this is going to take some time. I have found that soaking the planks in water overnight and using a small kitchen steamer for the extreme bends has worked quite well.

Its a bit of trial and error as I said previously this is a new one for me.

Here are some pics.

View attachment 66315 View attachment 66316

As you can see its a bit rough at the moment as I haven't rubbed any of it down.

Paul

View attachment 67398

View attachment 67399

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Hi Paul, nice work on the planking, its all loking very nice and accurate. I was wondering if you could upload a few photos of the kit contents/parts. I am looking to buy the billings victory after my current ship is complete! Thanks very much,Pete
Here are a couple of the remaining contents of the kit Pete..... Still a fair bit left :rolleyes:

View attachment 66319 View attachment 66317View attachment 66318

View attachment 67400

View attachment 67401

View attachment 67402

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

S

Screw Loose

Hi folks.... Still ongoing with the Planking, most of the lower hull is done and the planks are now past the Wales.

I might be completely wrong here but on the upper section of the hull to the bottom of the Wales do you plank from the Deck down to the completed lower hull planking? Or just carry om planking from the keel up to the Decks?

I know that sounds like rubbish lol

Just found this link on how to Plank Boats... pretty comprehensive to say the least. Downloads as a PDF.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmodelshipworldforum.com%2Fresources%2FFraming_and_Planking%2Fplankingprojectbeginners.pdf&ei=MTr9UYrDFMXa0QWFxYH4CQ&usg=AFQjCNG_bjD-yBKre4UG7l32q07GjeOl-w&bvm=bv.50165853,d.d2k

Paul

Last edited:
R

rusty

Paul,

very interested to see how you are tackling the planking, I am just about to start this, but am having difficulty in working out how the stern goes, there doesn't seem to be any drawing, photos of the stern area to give a clue, how did you approach it?

Rusty

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Paul,very interested to see how you are tackling the planking, I am just about to start this, but am having difficulty in working out how the stern goes, there doesn't seem to be any drawing, photos of the stern area to give a clue, how did you approach it?

Rusty
Hi Rusty.... I started from the Keel upwards. I have soaked the Planks in the bath overnight and have found this to be helpful in bending them. On the Stern I have let them take a natural course and trimmed off the excess off when dry. When starting from the keel they have bowing out and when it came to bending them around the frame steaming them and pinning in place. I decided to plank horizontally along the Whales and join just below.

Here is a picture of the progress and a reference shot I found on the Internet.

When all the planking is in place I am going to Plane the extreme edges off, small amounts of Filler and them sand smooth. That's after cutting out all those Gunports....

Paul

View attachment 68118

View attachment 68119

DSC_0444.jpg

Victory_W_Stern_View.jpg

M

mudslide

hi paul here is a little cheat when planking, if you have little gaps to filll in, lie your shlp on its side. get your spare bits of wood, put pva glue in gap, use sandpaper to put sawdust in gap. leave to dry overnight . sand off with fine sandpaper leaving a nice filled gap good luck regards rob

R

rusty

\ said:
hi paul here is a little cheat when planking, if you have little gaps to filll in, lie your shlp on its side. get your spare bits of wood, put pva glue in gap, use sandpaper to put sawdust in gap. leave to dry overnight . sand off with fine sandpaper leaving a nice filled gap good luck regards rob
Paul,

thanks for the info, I am finding this build quite a challenge and your photos have helped a lot

Rusty

S

Screw Loose

:smiling3:

\ said:
Thanks for that, just tried that it works really well! :smiling3:

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Paul,thanks for the info, I am finding this build quite a challenge and your photos have helped a lot

Rusty
No problems I am glad they helped. I am no expert at this so hoping I get it right :smiling3:

I have been cutting out the Gunports and putting more of the planking up the hull. Just had to stop until the glue dry's.

Paul

View attachment 68339

DSC_0446.jpg

Last edited:
M

mudslide

hi paul, here is another tip a little further into your project. when you come to your rigging i.e tying knots from location to location . when you have them where you need them held in place permantely held, dont use superglue. use cheap clear nail varnish with cocktail stick. blow on it to set holding tension on tweezers

M

mudslide

hi paul i have done a few pof models. also was a plater/ shipwright in shipyards many moons ago very happy to help. here is another tip if you do another ship kit. try and research your project on line or in library be surprised how you can beef up your detail it to a superb model regards rob

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
hi paul, here is another tip a little further into your project. when you come to your rigging i.e tying knots from location to location . when you have them where you need them held in place permantely held, dont use superglue. use cheap clear nail varnish with cocktail stick. blow on it to set holding tension on tweezers
Thanks I will try that.... seems ages away yet but will get there in the end. :smiling3:

What yard were you in? Tyne or Wear?

Last edited:
M

mudslide

i worked in both yards on the tees . swan hunters and smiths dock to finish my time swans was my favourite holiday camp. Oh well happy days! Let me know if you need anymore help. also remmember keep workin g both sides at same time keeps the job right regards rob

First Name
Adrian
I've just got hold of this kit as well, its part made up to planking the hull. I'm daunted by the work I will have to put in !!!! Oh well one day I'll get round to it I guess :smiling3:

Adrian

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
I've just got hold of this kit as well, its part made up to planking the hull. I'm daunted by the work I will have to put in !!!! Oh well one day I'll get round to it I guess :smiling3: Adrian
Just dive right in! ;) Got to start somewhere.

Just do a bit of prep first, there are some experts on here that are invaluable!

Had a few "Oh Sh*t!" moments but there's usually a solution ;)

Paul

S

Screw Loose

Right that's most of the planking done! 6 months or so but got there in the end. Its a little rough so doing the finishing touches now. Got a bit of sanding and filling to do on the detailed bits.

For the keen eyed amongst you yes I have forgotten to cut out the Hatch's on the Port and Starboard side, doing that later :sad: ;)

View attachment 72848

View attachment 72849

Just giving the whole thing a sand down with various grades of sandpaper before a clean and onto paint. Going to do a bit more research before I move on and there are some fittings to attach at this stage, but getting there :smiling3:

Paul

vc3.jpg

vc2.jpg

Last edited: