boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Only get the internet through my copper wire. Telephone has been of the VOIP variety for yonks. (Last two houses so that's gotta be some 12 years now). No difference noticed at all, even SWMBO thinks it's a standard BT phone and I really can't be bothered to start complicating her life telling her otherwise!!
WD40 has its down side too Tim, it dislikes rubber, will perish it earlier than it normally breaks down. End of the day, use the correct lubricant for the job in hand. EG, I use silicon grease for rubber, all my car seals are wiped with a cloth and silicone grease. Hinges - normal grease. Hot metals a lead based or copper grease depending on location!! Horses for courses I guess.
AN YES Doug we are worryied about the phone as where we live our house an next door neibours are the only house for miles so if they do away with our phone line just got to hope they will fit in something to take my broad band an jens phone as she is on there quite a lot talkin to both her sisters an her mum an regards that big radar will have a look tomorrow as i was goin too today but had an ole mate from my younger biker days turn up an he took me to see another mate to talk about our young days on our motorbikes an by god we had some laughs today was there for near 5 hrs chattin an laughin oh to be young again but it cheered us all up talkin about all the crazy things we did lol as its good to talk like we did without any women there lol
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
AN YES Doug we are worryied about the phone as where we live our house an next door neibours are the only house for miles so if they do away with our phone line just got to hope they will fit in something to take my broad band an jens phone as she is on there quite a lot talkin to both her sisters an her mum an regards that big radar will have a look tomorrow as i was goin too today but had an ole mate from my younger biker days turn up an he took me to see another mate to talk about our young days on our motorbikes an by god we had some laughs today was there for near 5 hrs chattin an laughin oh to be young again but it cheered us all up talkin about all the crazy things we did lol as its good to talk like we did without any women there lol
chrisb
My worry is the internet Chris. I still enjoy gaming so a fast connection would suit but my set up is about on par with the old snail mail!! Everyone around me has super fast BB, but the houses left and right of me, a total of 5 have the old copper wire connection. I wouldn't mind but super fast was put in in my area in 2012 for the olympics as just up the road from me was the main hub for all comms. Typical of my luck to buy a property with crepe internet.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
My worry is the internet Chris. I still enjoy gaming so a fast connection would suit but my set up is about on par with the old snail mail!! Everyone around me has super fast BB, but the houses left and right of me, a total of 5 have the old copper wire connection. I wouldn't mind but super fast was put in in my area in 2012 for the olympics as just up the road from me was the main hub for all comms. Typical of my luck to buy a property with crepe internet.
YES Doug i only hope they will put us in a firbe B/B or something but if it for just two people then i dont think they will bother doin all the work for just 2 people AN Garry you lucky devil
Chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't want to make you guys sick, but I have just tested mine and download is 679 Mbps and upload 471 Mbps.
We were upgraded to fibre this year :smiling2:
We have 1Gb up and down so I'm good. Oh and the wife's job pays the bill. We'll most of it.lol.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
YES Doug i only hope they will put us in a firbe B/B or something but if it for just two people then i dont think they will bother doin all the work for just 2 people AN Garry you lucky devil
Chrisb
Thats my thoughts Chris. I've been told the problem is a damaged conduit underground where they wish to run the cable, evidently it has a blockage and knowing Openreach it's been firmly placed at the bottom of the 'Can't be arsed' pile!! We were supposed to get the full deal before the end of 2022 but I notice that has been extended!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Doug i think you are right we maybe left out in the cold as they dont care to spend all that money just for two people so maybe off line then
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
YES Doug i think you are right we maybe left out in the cold as they dont care to spend all that money just for two people so maybe off line then
chrisb
How is your mobil reception there where you live. You can get a 4G maybe even 5G mobil internet these days...My Brother in law has it and its as fast as fiber cable.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
How is your mobil reception there where you live. You can get a 4G maybe even 5G mobil internet these days...My Brother in law has it and its as fast as fiber cable.
HI Ian well ive got a fair reception but i havnt got one of those fancy phones like all you guys as im not teck savy an dont know how to work them an i dont think ive got wifi to work one of them phones as my little phone doe sthe job for me to just txt as i cant hear on them phones so no point havin one as my freind paul was goin to give me his old new one if you get my meaning as he only had it about a yr so new to me but old to him but cheers an thanks for your info
ATB Ian
chrisb

AN Garry starlink i havnt the foggeist idea what you are talking about im afraid but thanks all the same
ATB to you also
chrisb

Reactions: JR

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
HI Ian well ive got a fair reception but i havnt got one of those fancy phones like all you guys as im not teck savy an dont know how to work them an i dont think ive got wifi to work one of them phones as my little phone doe sthe job for me to just txt as i cant hear on them phones so no point havin one as my freind paul was goin to give me his old new one if you get my meaning as he only had it about a yr so new to me but old to him but cheers an thanks for your info
ATB Ian
chrisb

AN Garry starlink i havnt the foggeist idea what you are talking about im afraid but thanks all the same
ATB to you also
chrisb
If you look at www.starlink.com you will see what it is all about.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
A tad pricey for this poor old pensioner!! ;) (Well I'd go for it but the chances of SWMBO giving it the thumbs up is NIL).
I have to agree Doug, there is no way that my lady would agree to that sort of cost, so I'm very happy we were able to get the fibre optic installed.
All copper cable lines are now defunct in NZ, so the everyone gets fibre, except the poor folk in the bush.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL GUYS back to TIGER well i have found out why that big back radar stopped workin after id stripped it all down an found the drive plastic gears teeth have worn down almost flat on the main crown gear but to buy more im not goin to bother as the big radar works ok now with a little thin grease in the shaft tube so its just the height finder radar that wont work but most people dint notise it anyway so not a miss an i had all the pamphatlets laid out in front of the ship with its Tiger NAME in 3inche high letters an then i had a few members of the public comin to me to say what is the ships name an i felt like goin ballistic but i just calmy told them to read the phamplets all about the ship WITH ITS NAME BOY OH BOY seems to me they were just to blo*dy lazy to do a bit of readin an i will post some pics of the show not to many though as the models were mostly the same apart for my Tiger an pauls tiger as last year but i still enjoyed the show though an quite a few people turned up
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well ive been thinking about drilling that bad led out of one of the
6 inch guns that was playin up for about a month now on the best way to go about it so today jen came up to model room to give me a hand as just as well she did i opened up the gun turret so i could see the wires on the led the wires were both black so i dint know positive or negative so i got me truty small dremel drill an procced to drill out the bad led in the gun barrel but unknown to me when i c/a the led in postion in the gun barrel the c/a had run down the gun barrel an gone hard

SO a problem there as the gun barrel was longer than the small 2mm drill bit so i had a thunk an fit an glued in the 2 mm drill into a brass tube which was longer than the gun barrell right / wrong so i stuck the long drill into the gun barrel an carryied on drillin an i hit a block of something hard an i though what can it be but again unknown to me the small drill bit must have been weak drill bit as an jen was lookin in the back of the gun barrell where the wires must come out

AN she found something that i dint exspect an that was a broken drill bit had jammed in the backend of the gun barrell god it took some gettin out but with jens help we managed it but it took most of the day an when we got a hole right through the gun barrel simple matter of threadin the led wires down the barrel right / wrong the bloomin wires wont go through an we tried for hrs to get the wires through an jen in the end got her tiny hand into the gun turret an manged to get the wires through PHEW what a tryin time but then it was just a matter of tryin to find out which wire was positive an neg an wirein the wires an soldering them in an covered in shrink rap to stop any short outs SO NOW BOTH GUNS FLASH AMBER IN TIME WITH THE GUN FIRE UNIT boy am i glad we got that done an as i thought it wasnt goin to be easy an it wasnt
CHRISB AN JEN

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well done mate and to Jen for the fine assistance
CHEERS Scottie yes just as well jen has got tiny hands to get them wires through as i could not get my hands in the turret as they are to big so women have got the edge on us guys Aaarrrccchhhhh but very pleased to have tiger now already to sail again :cool::cool::cool:
chrisb