Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looking forward to this Chris, especially the Marmite sarnies!
Pete
GREAT GLAD you are Pete an :thinking: Aaaaarrrccchhhh i was hopein someone would bite on that MARMITE phrase as you know we hate the stuff where gern an his proff mind bender when you need them lol :rolling::tired::flushed::sick::smiling::smiling::smiling:
chrisb

Hi Chris
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this big bird. The Jolly Rogers option looks cool too.
Good luck with the build
All the best
P
AN HI Steven yes hopefully it should be a good build an yes ive always loved the JOLLY ROGERS SQR after seein them shoot down some jap planes in the film with kirk douglas an martin sheen called the FINAL COUNTDOWN brilliant film that is as ive watched it about 6 times an still enjoy it as a what if film
ATB Steven
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Missed the start of this Chris - sorry. Looks a great kit, certainly a lot of parts. Marmite sarnies as well, yum-yum. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Missed the start of this Chris - sorry. Looks a great kit, certainly a lot of parts. Marmite sarnies as well, yum-yum. I'll keep an eye on your progress.
HI Jim no need to apolagise as we cant all keep up with everthing on this great forum but now you are here good chap an yes there is a heck of a lot of parts thats why i havnt opened the bags yet as i dont want to lose any parts as the carpet monster is sittin an waiting greedy thing lol
ATB
Chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Well, this is certainly something different for you Chris, I will follow along with interest, especially as you plan on some electrics too.
ATB
Garry

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well, this is certainly something different for you Chris, I will follow along with interest, especially as you plan on some electrics too.
ATB
Garry
HI Garry yes im fed up with no model to build as i cant say tiger is finished till i can try her in new yr so months to wait so i thought get out one of them planes an the tomcat was up front first an its a big kit an lots of bits an i want to go ott on it with lights an as i built a small 1/48 th tomcat an that looks good all kit up so the big one should look even better but at the moment i havnt a clue on how to start the build as the last tomcat build was a bout 10 yrs ago an if i remember rightly i built it in two parts done all the top an then the bottom half an that i think is how i will do this big one but still thinkin on it an doin some plannin
hope you an your wife are ok
jen an chrisb

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks exciting Chris; I look forward to watching the build progress

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looks exciting Chris; I look forward to watching the build progress
HI Joe yes im lookin forward to makin a start on this super tomcat but ive looked at no end of pics of night flyin on carrier decks an its looks like the
S-CAT had blue an red nav lights an not green so just as well ive now got some an lights on the tail planes some ive seen but bad angle shots look like the are some white lights fitted in them also as the big upright fins on port side have flashin red in the front of the fin at the top an an a white steady light on the rear an a red flashin on the rear of the starbd side fin an a red flashin anti collichion light just under the nose an also one on the dorsal so lookin forward to fittin all these an more hope you will enjoy the build sir
chrisb

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
HI Joe yes im lookin forward to makin a start on this super tomcat but ive looked at no end of pics of night flyin on carrier decks an its looks like the
S-CAT had blue an red nav lights an not green so just as well ive now got some an lights on the tail planes some ive seen but bad angle shots look like the are some white lights fitted in them also as the big upright fins on port side have flashin red in the front of the fin at the top an an a white steady light on the rear an a red flashin on the rear of the starbd side fin an a red flashin anti collichion light just under the nose an also one on the dorsal so lookin forward to fittin all these an more hope you will enjoy the build sir
chrisb
Nav light were green and red, all beit a bluish green which does appear blue in some photos.

Have you started yet? Desperate to see some progress.
If the kit is a good fit (as the old Tamiya aren't) building in sections would make your life a lot easier as once wings fitted you have to spray and wait to dry and then move and respray the bit you've
missed, which there always is even when they are open you get a small wedge on the leading edge of the hinge.
Also if you keep nose section out it is easier to spray the inside external edge (side next to fuselage) of the air intake ducting.

Looking forward to seeing this one. Have you bought a kit for lighting or is it DIY?

James

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nav light were green and red, all beit a bluish green which does appear blue in some photos.

Have you started yet? Desperate to see some progress.
If the kit is a good fit (as the old Tamiya aren't) building in sections would make your life a lot easier as once wings fitted you have to spray and wait to dry and then move and respray the bit you've
missed, which there always is even when they are open you get a small wedge on the leading edge of the hinge.
Also if you keep nose section out it is easier to spray the inside external edge (side next to fuselage) of the air intake ducting.

Looking forward to seeing this one. Have you bought a kit for lighting or is it DIY?

James
HI James well ive been told that yes on the older tomcats the nav lights were green an red but on the super tomcat they were blue an red like the super hornets so yes ive got the DIY 2mm leds all ready to fit but at the moment the mojo has gone AWOL an life is gettin in the way as i intended to start today but no as had to take jen to hos so hope to make a start tomorrow
an many thanks for your build info but how it will build i dont know as barry said his trumpy 1/32 was not a great fit but i will post all the build on here so you wont miss nothing as ive been tryin to remember how i built my 1/48th tomcat with lights but it was about 10 yrs ago an my memerory anit good now as gettin old oh dear but will post a pic of it lit up if i can find it but watch this space as it will soon start
ATB James
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Again James here is a pic of my 1/144 th scale tomcat an a hawkeye that was fitted on my big USS NIMITZ carrier an they were both lit up an hawkeye had workin engins an sorry pic not great as this was took off my old p/c IMG_4291.JPG

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
HI Again James here is a pic of my 1/144 th scale tomcat an a hawkeye that was fitted on my big USS NIMITZ carrier an they were both lit up an hawkeye had workin engins an sorry pic not great as this was took off my old p/c View attachment 496221
That looks amazing!!
It would be an issue with the sections if the fit isn't great. Just come to the conclusion with mine I just need to make the best of a bad job that I can. Just going to put it in an 8ft wide display case so you can only see it for 4ft away.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That looks amazing!!
It would be an issue with the sections if the fit isn't great. Just come to the conclusion with mine I just need to make the best of a bad job that I can. Just going to put it in an 8ft wide display case so you can only see it for 4ft away.
THANKS James for your kind words on my planes an i will fit on a couple pics of my 1/48 tomcat all lit up when the timer switches on it on with the other planes as they do look good as to me it brings the planes to life but my canon camera has bought the pics up brighter than they really are so its not OTT an my tomcat is an old acdemy kit of the pukein dogs sqr
chrisb IMG_8738.JPGIMG_8739.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN IN case you are wonderin why so many planes there are mirrors fitted all around the plane so they can be seen from all angles an hopein to do the big super tomcat a super hornet a lot better if possible but im lookin forward to seein an havin fun building these as im realy enjoyin lookin at your build James but back to mine i think i built them in two halvfes top an bottom so i could jion up all the wires to the main uptake plug
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
They look amazing! That's some collection you've done!
Many thanks James there only 4 aircraft there but the mirrors make it look more but im really lookin forward to building an lighting my two big kits but they will be fairly slow build an to answer you gestion on the wings fit i think it was a kind of dark sort of rubber
chrisb

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I hope Jen's hospital trip wasn't for anything serious.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I hope Jen's hospital trip wasn't for anything serious.
Pete
HI Pete it was just a check up on her cancer an her foot as it been givin her quite a bit of pain an me also as i took my hearin aid back to hos as its the lastest aid an it had gone wrong an got it fixed an when we got home it went wrong again so got to go back again :tired:
but many thanks Pete FOR ASKIN
chrisb

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
HI Pete it was just a check up on her cancer an her foot as it been givin her quite a bit of pain an me also as i took my hearin aid back to hos as its the lastest aid an it had gone wrong an got it fixed an when we got home it went wrong again so got to go back again :tired:
but many thanks Pete FOR ASKIN
chrisb
I need to take my SWMBO to the hospital to get her hearing aids turned up or replaced, she can't hear me unless I'm less than 6 feet away and we're facing each other..
Pete