Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well ive wired in the leds in behind the I/P's an painted all the switches an such an i had the shakes bad on this so i dont think ive done to bad but im not happy with it but best i can do IMG_8925.JPG

AND I HAVE fitted green acestate in the vid screen but its not come out how i was hopein it would an the camera has over exsposed the lights in the pic so dont think ther are that bright as the poor ole pilot would be blinded lolIMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8927.JPGIMG_8928.JPGIMG_8929.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH DEAR if you guys dont like these pics i'll remove them an i think i will paint the vid screens with tamyia clear green to darken the lights a bit urg well hopefully this wont look to bad once the plane has been built around it
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Great work on the office mate the displays look good to me.
THANKS Scottie i just wish it had come out better as it was a terrible fit an i have not fitted in the bang seats yet as they also are a bad fit an the instruckions showin how this all goes togeather are rubbish as it dont show an afterfit pics an i fitted several pics as there are the cockpit sides added in the last pics
urg
ATB to you sir
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looks good to me, it’s sure to make an impression when you switch it on.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looks good to me, it’s sure to make an impression when you switch it on.
MANY THANKS Jakko for your nice undeservaldy comments as i was hopein the decals would fit in the screens to dampen the lights down a bit more but when i put them in water they all just splintered an i treid to useing a very fine tipped hairy stick to try an paint on the vid screen but not very good as shakes hit bad so i quit while i was ahead Aaaarrrccchhhhh im not used to failure like this
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A thought I suddenly had: do you maybe have some old, cheap sunglasses that you could just a bit of darker material from? Or else give the screens a coat (or two) or Tamiya Smoke?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
THANKS Scottie i just wish it had come out better as it was a terrible fit an i have not fitted in the bang seats yet as they also are a bad fit an the instruckions showin how this all goes togeather are rubbish as it dont show an afterfit pics an i fitted several pics as there are the cockpit sides added in the last pics
urg
ATB to you sir
chrisb
OK, bang seat to be fitted? Can we expect a left over rocket from bonfire night fitted or maybe some left over black powder from a few bangers!!!!! Go well with the illumination!!!! :tears-of-joy:
Seriously though Chris. Smashing work matey, you have the patience of a saint to stay with the led's as long as you have. Well done buddy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK, bang seat to be fitted? Can we expect a left over rocket from bonfire night fitted or maybe some left over black powder from a few bangers!!!!! Go well with the illumination!!!! :tears-of-joy:
Seriously though Chris. Smashing work matey, you have the patience of a saint to stay with the led's as long as you have. Well done buddy.
WELL HI Doug thanks im surprised all you guys think its reasonable work on that cockpit tub as i just think it just scrapes in as bein reanasoble but not how i thought it would turn out as in my opinion its a bit cra**y but if you guys think its salvable then i will carry on with the build
ATB Doug
A thought I suddenly had: do you maybe have some old, cheap sunglasses that you could just a bit of darker material from? Or else give the screens a coat (or two) or Tamiya Smoke?
AN GOOD idea Jakko as ive got some tamyia smoke i'give it a try an see if it tones down the brightness of them leds but dont want to mask completetly or no point fittin the led's is there
cheers all
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN NOW as an after thought i think id have been better to have fitted in green leds oh boy we lean by our mistakes dont we urg
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You would probably need to put on a lot of coats of Smoke to completely black out the LEDs :smiling3: One coat probably won’t do much, but a couple should tone them down fairly well. But I’d test it after each coat has dried, to make sure of not going too far.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You would probably need to put on a lot of coats of Smoke to completely black out the LEDs :smiling3: One coat probably won’t do much, but a couple should tone them down fairly well. But I’d test it after each coat has dried, to make sure of not going too far.
HI Jakko yes you are right i'll try an paint on one coat of Tamyia smoke clear paint an see what the effect is like but will be difficullt to do as now its all fitted togeather in the pit as not a lot of room probeberly have to cut a small paint brush down to do it many thanks for your info sir
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS
well im still havin trouble on this tomcat as spray paintin the bang seats an now found out that trumpy have not given me the ejecshion handles that fit to the top of the seat oh for the money this kit cost boy is it a letdown an im not a happy bunny at the moment Aaarrrrrg an as they are missins makes me think what eles is missin an too be weird even more the handles are not shown in the destruckinos either oh dear
chrisb

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Chris. Because your Tomcat is a larger scale, you can use fuse-wire or similar for your ejection handles. Cut two lengths, paint one yellow, the other black. Then lay them side by side, pinch both ends together with pliers. Twist them until you end up with the desired yellow/black spacing. Cut your desired lengths and bend them to the shape of the handles and fix them to the seat tops with a suitable cement.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looking good Chris. Because your Tomcat is a larger scale, you can use fuse-wire or similar for your ejection handles. Cut two lengths, paint one yellow, the other black. Then lay them side by side, pinch both ends together with pliers. Twist them until you end up with the desired yellow/black spacing. Cut your desired lengths and bend them to the shape of the handles and fix them to the seat tops with a suitable cement.
HI JOE yes i had thought about makin them but it makes me mad that trumppy should have put them in the kit as this was a very exspensive kit but i'll have a go cheers for stoppin an your kind comments
ATB
Chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
What a superb work through. I'd never have thought of doing that.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Despite the problems you are encountering with this build I have no doubt that you will model it into submission.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Doug yes joe says fuse wire but i was thinkin of thin brass rod to make the E HANDLES FROM but he has a very good idea all the same

Despite the problems you are encountering with this build I have no doubt that you will model it into submission.
AN HELLO Stefee
yes im gettin probs all right with this kit as ive never in all my 60 odd yrs of modelin a model as bad as this bar the K/H jag an that nearly went into the bin as well but ive been paint sprayin the landing gear white an the lights work great on them so i feel as though im gettin somewhere on this model an pic of what ive done today an to see that the parts now look accepable to carry on building the model
cheers both of you
chrisbIMG_8942.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Doug yes joe says fuse wire but i was thinkin of thin brass rod to make the E HANDLES FROM but he has a very good idea all the same

AN HELLO Stefee
yes im gettin probs all right with this kit as ive never in all my 60 odd yrs of modelin a model as bad as this bar the K/H jag an that nearly went into the bin as well but ive been paint sprayin the landing gear white an the light work great on them so i feel as though im gettin somewhere on this model an pic of what ive done today an to see that the parts now look accepable to carry on building the model
cheers both of you
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS just a small up date on the cat as ive actually finished i think the 3 undercarts an fitted o the rubber tyres an i think they look fairly good so a step nearer to buildin this cat an all the lights work ok an im pleased IMG_8946.JPG