Box Diorama with a Soviet Self-Propelled Gun SU-122

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good to see your on the move again ,interesting idea ,if not here ill speak through the back burner. Dave
Good to see you mate, yes speak soon.

If the build is as long as the thread title, its going to be epic. LOL
Ian it will probably take some time as well !

Definitely in for this. Your dios are always well worth following.
Thanks Jim.

Seat with Jim please. Its gonna be epic even if do you have no room left on the mantle piece for it :smiling5: ;) :thumb2: :cool:
No room left Steve, can see some going into the attic soon.:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:
Shove along Mr. Jones and Jim!

453, you have my full attention.

Thank you 570 , a seat has been reserved for you at the front.

Yep,
Min too :smiling3:
..... anyone touches the Hobnobs and I'll set Cohan on em ;)

Andy two seats for you a Cohan and a lamp to keep him warm.
SAME as Rick :thinking: an will there be a conflageration as the burner gets out of controll ? as we havnt seen any fires from you for quite a while makes me think i drempt it:rolling:;):smiling::smiling::smiling:
chrisb
Chris , no fires, unless the welder sets fire to some rubbish , look out for Matron, apparently shes in disguise !

Seat in the gallery please.
Pete

Possibly the safest place to be Peter. The Rabble are out in force and squabbling has already broken out over the Hobnobs.

I am in, goes without saying that this will be good.

Andy.

Hi Andy, good to see you.

I'm in, love the idea of welding and lights-are you going for a welding effect?

Hi Neil, yes seen some suitable lights for the welding, with a random blue light.

I’m in JR seated with Steve, Jim and Andrew figured sitting with these guys I’ll be safe. I Think?????
You should be Lee, just keep away from the left hand side door !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
'Panzer Destroyer' by Vasiliy Krysov. I thought I had recommended it some time ago, as it was a memoir of a Red Army commander of a platoon of SU122 & later SU85. Good small unit action w/maps.
Many thanks Paul, I'll see if it's available in Kindle, easier for for eye .Just checked , apparently I bought this in 2021, no doubt when you recommended it. ! Will check my Kindle and find it and reread .:thumb2::nerd:

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
FIGHTING over the hobnobs not me but im at the back well out of the way maybe MATRON against the rabble lol
Yes the Rabble get like that when seated during a build . Your idea is the best bet , but be aware of people who look to be in disguise Chris .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I thought I was sitting by him wonder who it was I’ll move over and try to give him room upfront.
Good idea Lee.

I am aware John in case its Matron with arms like popeye wonder id she smokes a pipe ?
chrisb
Now Chris the muscle's like Popeye might be a clue, but do you think a lady like her woulds smoke a pipe ?:smiling2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Are we sitting comfortably ? then I will begin.

A search of the cave has found a suitable picture frame for the box dio front.
2022.jpg
Shall be using landscape I think, but depends on the hight of the SU .

Also found a workshop kit, not convinced the frame would be strong enough to lift an engine .

The kit for the SU is large, mainly due to the fact that's its a full internal kit. Not all going to be used unfortunately. The main engine and gear box will be fully used. So plenty to sort out as I start the assembly.
Had a quick look at the tracks :flushed::worried::sad:. there appear to be some pins, a more detailed check needed on these. They are not going to confound me this time ! Perhaps some one who has built these Mini Art tracks could help please.

2022.jpg
The SU
2022_9.jpg
The good thing its barrel is short, more like a StuG . ( Sorry Bob :smiling3: )
That's why I suggested Chris !
Sorry for the pause.

Back to the kit

Upon opening the box I was faced with,
2022_2.jpg
Crammed full of sprues.

Soon marked up .
2022_7.jpg
The main box contains some smaller sprues full of tracks, and so,e of those pins, along with shells, fuel tanks etc.

The instructions are superb, very detailed and as far as I can see free of any flash.

2022_3.jpg

2022_5.jpg2022_8.jpg2022_6.jpg2022_4.jpg

The supplier of the foam board kindly rang me yesterday to ask would I accept one black board with the other 9 as they had a shortage. Not a problem as that can go behind a wooden wall .

So a lot to do on the kit its self, the board should be here next week postal disruptions willing.
Found some perfect lights, including a mix of yellow and blue intermitted flash for the welding..

See you soon, thanks for looking in.

John.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Mmm don't think I'll ask she if she smokes Tim, perhaps Chris can !;)
I don’t think he’s that brave John…..I know I’m not ;)
AN NO am i or stupid either better a live coward than a dead hero lol
AN NICE STUG John but a bit of a weird shape though an yes never seen so many spreuse are you sure this isnt two kits lol