Brian's 1/200 HMS Hood

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Thinking about paint atm and am undecided whether to use Tamiya lacquer paints or acrylic, anyone used both ? what's better, what's the difference
Thanks

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
An iconic ship. Looks like a great, long term build. Lots of aftermarket stuff. I'll enjoy seeing how you get on.
I have a 1/700 Hood in the stash. I bought a wood deck and a load of pe but now I'm afraid to start. Your build may encourage me to open the box.
Ditto Jim,
I have a 1/350 'Montrose' destroyer living in the shed (modelling annex)....

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
went to start painting the hull and my airbrush air Vv has seized up stripped it down and nothing obvious apart from a tiny seal damaged, no air can get through so give up and ordered another.
anyway fishing today so back at it tomorrow :smiling3:

Last edited:

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Finding it difficult to choose colours for the superstructure and hull bottom (grey) I would like to use Tamiya acrylic there Isn't a lot of info out there, Help appreciated

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Finding it difficult to choose colours for the superstructure and hull bottom (grey) I would like to use Tamiya acrylic there Isn't a lot of info out there, Help appreciated
I use tamiya acrylic for nearly all my painting very good needs a good stir I always thin mine just upto the bottom of the neck others may have a different take

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Bri lookin good work so far an a qeustion please why does the degussin cable sit so high over near the ankor hole ?
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
From what i can gather it's to keep it away from the anchor chain
Hi Bri, from what I see from photo's of the Hood, that would 'kinda' make sense if the degaussing kept away from both anchors! (As the flukes sit quite high).
What would make more sense if the degaussing sat high where the bump, forward of the anchors where mooring ropes etc would pass through! The problem I can see with my theory is as of now I can't find any images of the Hood with degaussing fitted!!

OK, blown my theory out of the water!! Found a pic showing the degaussing cable and the position. (Ah well - learnt something else today)!!
HMS Hood at Scapa Flow

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Received my aft funnel P.E. this morning from scale warships FOC :smiling3:
IMG20230831154305.jpg

Also anybody know where the cat heads and pulleys go on the degaussing cable
IMG20230831154255.jpg
There tiny :smiling3:

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Guys looking for a Tamiya acrylic match for "home fleet dark grey" could use some help my eyes aren't the best for colour matching XF24 perhaps?