British Cold War jets

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've been having a conversation with Simon ( eddisolo) and he mentioned he's got an EE Canberra to do next and all those old Cold War jets from the 50's/60's I used to make as a kid came flooding back so I want to see how many I can remember and see how many I can get

So here goes

Venom

Vampire

Vulcan

Vixen

Valiant

Javelin

Buccaneer

Javelin

Lightning

Hunter

Harrier

So how many did I forget ?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Supermarine Scimitar

Sea Hawk.

Supermarine Swift.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Supermarine ScimitarSea Hawk.

Supermarine Swift.

Swift and scimitar I remember but sea hawk was that a version of the hawk trainer ?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Swift and scimitar I remember but sea hawk was that a version of the hawk trainer ?
Not sure, thought the sea Hawk was a revamp of the Fury piston engine job.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Not sure, thought the sea Hawk was a revamp of the Fury piston engine job.Si:smiling3:
I know the fury and if it was developed from that then it can't be the BAe hawk so I might look into that one :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I know the fury and if it was developed from that then it can't be the BAe hawk so I might look into that one :smiling3:
I could be wrong, some folk more knowledgeable about such things should be able to give a more heads up about it.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
I've been having a conversation with Simon ( eddisolo) and he mentioned he's got an EE Canberra to do next and all those old Cold War jets from the 50's/60's I used to make as a kid came flooding back so I want to see how many I can remember and see how many I can get So here goes

Venom

Vampire

Vulcan

Vixen

Valiant

Javelin

Buccaneer

Javelin

Lightning

Hunter

Harrier

So how many did I forget ?
Does javelin twice count.

Peter t

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The Bae Hawk looks nothing like the Sea Hawk, http://www.airpowerworld.info/jet-fighter-planes/hawker-sea-hawk.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No this is a sea Hawk http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/61632/wv908-uk-navy-historic-flight-hawker-sea-hawk-fga-6/

And the Phantom

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks for that Ian I remember it now cheers

I'm staying away from the phantom because that was built under license from the yanks so I'm staying with British built by British firms :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Tornado F1/3 - GR1, Jaguar, Nimrod MR/AEW, Sentry, Jet Provost, TSR2, Tristar, VC-10, Victor. All of these jets were in service or recently retired when I joined the RAF in 1991. But what about the turbo props and helicopters?
Cheers I forgot all about the jaguar but thinking about that wasn't that French ?

W

Willi262

I put up some new pics of a Vampire that my local air museum has in it's care.

It's not a terribly wide selection of aircraft but every once in a while (father's day last for example) they open up the cockpits and let the viewing public in to sit at the controls.

The pictures I took were on a different day but the canopy is damaged and needs some repairs, but I was able to slip my hand into the cockpit for a quick series of shots. I tried to do the same with the Sabre we have, but the canopy is whole and the reflection prevents much viewing.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm pleased that someone got the Swift, a typically good looking aeroplane from Supermarine. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Folland Gnat.

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I'm pleased that someone got the Swift,
Yeah, that was me, can have a chocy biccie then?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I'm pleased that someone got the Swift, a typically good looking aeroplane from Supermarine. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Folland Gnat.Cheers

Steve
Yes Steve but again wasn't the Gnat French ?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Yes Steve but again wasn't the Gnat French ?
No, the Folland Gnat was made by the UK company Folland, first flight 1955 IRC. These aircraft were used by the Red Arrows and used by the RAF as two seat trainers.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
No, the Folland Gnat was made by the UK company Folland, first flight 1955 IRC. These aircraft were used by the Red Arrows and used by the RAF as two seat trainers.Si:smiling3:
Well I stand corrected :smiling3: if I'm right the Gnat was the first plane flown by the red arrows

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Just to add Alan that the Folland Gnat was only used by the UK, Finland, India and Yugoslavia IRC. If you're doing a UK version you could do it as a 'Red Arrows' or as the pre-'Red Arrows'-the 'Yellowjacks'.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Well I stand corrected :smiling3: if I'm right the Gnat was the first plane flown by the red arrows
Yep, that's the one.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Just to add Alan that the Folland Gnat was only used by the UK, Finland, India and Yugoslavia IRC. If you're doing a UK version you could do it as a 'Red Arrows' or as the pre-'Red Arrows'-the 'Yellowjacks'.Si:smiling3:
Oh me the yellow jacks is defiantly an idea :smiling3: