British Cold War jets

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Can't remember if the Jet Provost was listed but also the development of that aircraft led to the Strikemaster.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Oh me the yellow jacks is defiantly an idea :smiling3:
Should look superb in yellow mate. Only issue is that I think it is available in 1/72 only, not sure, but cannot find a 1/48 scale.

Si:smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Yes Steve but again wasn't the Gnat French ?
Not at all. It was built by the successor of British Marine Aircraft, the company was re-named after Henry Folland when the company was reorganised in 1937. Folland Aircraft took over BMA's site at Hamble.

The Gnat was desigmed by W.Petter who had designed the Lysander, Canberra and Lightning. The Folland Midge prototype lightweight jet fighter which first flew in August 1954. It was followed by the Folland Gnat advanced trainer in 1955. Both were built at Hamble until the 1960s.

Folland Aircraft was one of the many victims of the post war rationalisation of the aircraft industry eventually becoming part of BAe Systems. I'd have to check with my brother in law but I think that the company still uses the Hamble site.

The Red Arrows flew the Gnat and you can't get a better British endorsement than that :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Edit. S,i I think that the Gnat may even have been built under licence in India, like the Hunter.

The Gnat was the first Red Arrows' aircraft, though various jets had been flown by various RAF display teams previously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Not at all. It was built by the successor of British Marine Aircraft, the company was re-named after Henry Folland when the company was reorganised in 1937. Folland Aircraft took over BMA's site at Hamble.The Gnat was desigmed by W.Petter who had designed the Lysander, Canberra and Lightning. The Folland Midge prototype lightweight jet fighter which first flew in August 1954. It was followed by the Folland Gnat advanced trainer in 1955. Both were built at Hamble until the 1960s.

Folland Aircraft was one of the many victims of the post war rationalisation of the aircraft industry eventually becoming part of BAe Systems. I'd have to check with my brother in law but I think that the company still uses the Hamble site.

The Red Arrows flew the Gnat and you can't get a better British endorsement than that :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Edit. S,i I think that the Gnat may even have been built under licence in India, like the Hunter.

The Gnat was the first Red Arrows' aircraft, though various jets had been flown by various RAF display teams previously.
Thanks for that Steve I've just emailed all the planes in this thread to the wife and she has found the buccaneer and jaguar in 1/48 scale and the jag has been bought and is on it's way but the buc is auction only so I will have to wait and see on that one :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
And while it didn't make operational service, the BAC TSR-2 was a true Cold War icon of British engineering.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
And you have Valiant and Vulcan but the third V Bomber is missing from the list, the Victor (was also mentioned in someone else's post earlier)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
dont forget the one that started it all - the meteor and also the sea vixen and supermarine attacker , then theres the DH Comet 4,used by RAF transport command and the grand daddy of them all the Gloster E28/39 "whittle"

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
How could I forget the victor ! With that distinctive nose and engines next to the fuselage

I was unsure of the comet , I do remember my elder brother buying the civilian version and painting it up in RAF markings but I thought it was just his version of a nimrod

Thanks guys for reminding me of those wonderful aircraft :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Is it just me or are some of these post cold war......

OK officially it ended with the fall of the USSR but was pretty low key from the 80's

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Is it just me or are some of these post cold war......OK officially it ended with the fall of the USSR but was pretty low key from the 80's

Ian M
I agree Ian I wouldn't say we were really in a Cold War in the 80s that's why I want the early types like the vampire , harrier MK 1 and so forth , I'm interested in jets around the Korean and Vietnam wars era

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you'll need a Wyvern then. Maybe a Seafang as well.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well you'll need a Wyvern then. Maybe a Seafang as well.Ian M
Were they British Ian I've never heard of them

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here's my list- Sorry for the US planes. Just ignore them I do- LOL sorry for the last two they had whirly things in the front, as do some of these:

1948 York, Dakota and Sunderlands.

1950 Borrowed some B29-D

1952 Shackleton and Neptune

1955 Vallient

1956 Javelin followed by the Vulcan hot on its heals

1956 saw the start of operation Musketeer. Canberra join the skies.

1957 the EE Lightning and Ill-fated TSR2 The Victor B1 turned up as well

1969 saw the British Nuclear deterrent was handed to the Royal Navy and the RAF tried up in knots and put on home protection standing.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Westland Wyvern

Super marine built the Seafang.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/Aircraftbetween1946andpresent.cfm

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Westland Wyvern

Super marine built the Seafang.

Ian M
Oh that wyvern I have photo of one of them from the fleet air arm museum

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/Aircraftbetween1946andpresent.cfm
Cheers joe most informative , I love the design of those old jets I have a nimrod in the stash I think that could be built very soon :smiling3: