Build a De Havilland Mosquito

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think I got a Tamiya 1/48 Mossie in the stash somewhere. If I can find it, count me in Ian.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sorry ian , normally I’d be on this like a seagull on a tray of chips but i just cant find the time for anything much recently. My two current GB builds ( helicopter and soviet tank ) have ground to a halt , or not even got off the starting blocks so I dont want to commit to another one only to not finish it . Plus ive not got anything in the stash so unless I turn one up at the car boot im afraid im out . I’ll be watching though so good luck , cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well the order is in, have no idea what I'm letting my self in for.Got it in an auction on evil bay for £10 .50.

View attachment 451419

Facts​

Brand:MatchboxTitle:De Havilland MosquitoNumber:40116Scale:1:72Type:Full kitReleased:1989 | Rebox (Changed box only)Topic:De Havilland DH 98 Mosquito » Propeller (Aircraft)

Box contents​

Plastic sprue, Plastic sprue (Clear), Decalsheet (waterslide)

Product timeline​

Matchbox

As its going to be crashed thought it was ok for the money, have no idea about the coast now.
Please tell me you won't be painting it and leaving it in its 3 colour plastic? ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew, apart from not knowing what to expect in the box this is all a mystery to me .
I've tried camo before using that black putty , worked ok. I was thinking this time of a none descript colour 4BO ? with the standard light blue underside. Hoping to find a photo of the said plane , don't expect they photographed the crash .
The only helpful thing is it will be crashed in a field , most likely nose in after an attempted landing .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You're for it JR.........you are just lucky you didn't let yourself get pulled into the Chopper GB! Airplanes are a breeze compared to them whirly twirly flapping machines! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::smiling5: and besides that you plan on crashing it to boot......so what dif do it make if you muck up the camo a little bit, it's all good fun......oh, I also heard that they burn pretty good when crashed.......:thumb2:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You're for it JR.........you are just lucky you didn't let yourself get pulled into the Chopper GB! Airplanes are a breeze compared to them whirly twirly flapping machines! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::smiling5: and besides that you plan on crashing it to boot......so what dif do it make if you muck up the camo a little bit, it's all good fun......oh, I also heard that they burn pretty good when crashed.......:thumb2:
Thanks Rick .
Like the term " twirly flapping machines! " Shan't be able to look at one again with out think of that description.:smiling3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew, apart from not knowing what to expect in the box this is all a mystery to me .
I've tried camo before using that black putty , worked ok. I was thinking this time of a none descript colour 4BO ? with the standard light blue underside. Hoping to find a photo of the said plane , don't expect they photographed the crash .
The only helpful thing is it will be crashed in a field , most likely nose in after an attempted landing .
They did photograph it actually!!

A quick Google has revealed this...... There is also one side on showing the camo and stars...
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/mosquito/mosquito-b-iv-dk296-3/

• Love

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ha not that easy John.
It was the only one they got and it was for evaluation. The only thing Russian about it was the British Roundels and tail flash where painted out and the red star/black border painted on. Still had its British codes. DK 296 An ex 105 sqdn aircraft GB - G
The incident was one of two the first in April the second in May 1944.
Paint would be RAF day fighter . Light grey undersides, DSG and dark green camouflage.
1650694754805.png

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Strange looking crash isn’t it? Almost looks like the wheel collapsed sideways when it was stationary…..the right hand prop is just buried and not even bent?
Good point! Had missed that

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
They did photograph it actually!!

A quick Google has revealed this...... There is also one side on showing the camo and stars...
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/mosquito/mosquito-b-iv-dk296-3/
Ha not that easy John.
It was the only one they got and it was for evaluation. The only thing Russian about it was the British Roundels and tail flash where painted out and the red star/black border painted on. Still had its British codes. DK 296 An ex 105 sqdn aircraft GB - G
The incident was one of two the first in April the second in May 1944.
Paint would be RAF day fighter . Light grey undersides, DSG and dark green camouflage.
View attachment 451518
Thanks for all the photos Andrew and Ian , no excuse for getting it wrong now .
I have looked through one of the lists of the plane,seemed many crashed on landing , veering of runways and landing gear breaking up . At first I'd put the Russian crash landing down to poor piloting but further reading revealed they were to top pilots. Not the easiest if planes to fly from the lists.
Happened quite often Tim .
Strange looking crash isn’t it? Almost looks like the wheel collapsed sideways when it was stationary…..the right hand prop is just buried and not even bent?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Read further down that the craft lost power under take-off skidded and broke the leg leaving the runway. So presumably the props had stopped by the time the leg collapsed. I think it broke the wing quite bad it landing on the wheel.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Also looks like it had stopped moving forward when the wheel collapsed Ian. There is virtually no furrow behind the buried part of the prop in the last picture of the crash on your link. It looks like it literally just dropped when stationary and planted the prop into the ground.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Gear collapse could be due to loss of hydraulic pressure or a busted down lock.....seen it happen both ways.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry ian , normally I’d be on this like a seagull on a tray of chips but i just cant find the time for anything much recently. My two current GB builds ( helicopter and soviet tank ) have ground to a halt , or not even got off the starting blocks so I dont want to commit to another one only to not finish it . Plus ive not got anything in the stash so unless I turn one up at the car boot im afraid im out . I’ll be watching though so good luck , cheers tony
No problem Tony.

First Name
Michael
I have a 1/48 Tamiya Mk. IV/Pr wasting away in the stash so you can count me in, Ian.

Regards,

Michael