Carol Moran

C

Chuck

I'm nearing completion of Dumas's Carol Moran tug. Anybody else built the same model and has experience with powering it?

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm afraid the nearest I have come is a model Slipway Envoy class.

If you are nearing completion I take it you already have the propulsion installed and you tested it out in the bath first?

What have you put in it and what are the specs of the model?

Could you post a couple of pictures of her to give us an idea of what she looks like?

As with all these things there is loads of flexibility and experimentation is usually the best way to determine your optimum set up.

C

Chuck

Some photos already posted in the Gallery. I have not installed power yet, but plans call for using a modified servo for propulsion. Not sure how well this would work. I have no expereince with R/C propulsion systems.

B

Bunkerbarge

I think what they mean Chuck is a motor from a servo.

If you have a look at my Revel U-Boat R/C conversion I used two servo motors to propel that.

Looking at your model I don't think it is too big for a similar set up. I purchased my propulsion gear from SHG, if you want any further details I will find them for you. They supplied my motors, couplings, shafts, tubes and props and they did the job very nicely on the U-Boat.

J

jankers

Chuck,

I don't know the model, how much room inside?

The rudder arrangement is likely to be the most difficult part to arrange. If there is insufficient room to install a (mini) servo for steering you may need to consider the chain type of steering found on early steamers (and the rope equivalent found on sail driven vessels.

Whatever, i would concentrate on this part first, then the propulsion where you wil have much better choice.

If you have not done so already, make up some card templates for servo outlines to give you an idea of what arrangements may fit. see http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/servos.html for typical dimensions.

J.

C

Chuck

Thanks for your comments. Actually, the kit instructions show a process to modify a Cirrus CS-36 standard servo into a propulsion motor. This requires disassembly of the servo and removal of the reduction gears. It sounds like the prop would then be driven directly from the servo pinion. Model manufacturer Dumas claims this works well, but I wondered if anyone else has any experience with this concept. The hull accomodates both this modified servo and an unmodified rudder servo connected to the rudder via a formed rod. Attached photo shows interior space. The model is about 18" long.

View attachment 15428

DSC01849s.JPG

N

new to trains

i built a 1 to 200 scale plastic kit and modified it for RC, i used a standard servo ( acoms i think) for the propulsion, it worked fine, the output shaft from the servo motor was connected via a tiny UJ to the piano wire shaft.... the shaft, prop and coupling all came form SHG marine.... easy for us in the UK !!!1

chuck there must be a supplier in the US who retails something similar....

depending on the prop type you could maybe use fine bore silicon tubing as a UJ for your propshaft, i have seen this done before....

did not operate well in my boat as the tubing kept twisting- causing problems, i think it was just too soft to transfer the required 'drive' but maybe a stiffer tubing would do the trick, good luck anyway !

A

alan2525

Why does the model require such a small motor? I would have thought the hull being 18" long there would be a fair number of motors and gearboxes which would have sufficed.

C

Chuck

I agree it would seem a normal motor would work in this size boat. I think the kit manufacturer wanted to try something new and maybe save customer from having to buy a motor and speed control. I have a couple old motors and speed controls; guess I could use if this concept doesn't work. I wouldn't expect to get much speed/torque from the modified servo, but then it's only turning a 2 blade prop.

J

jankers

I hve never used a servo as propulsion but would expect it to be too slow in that size model. As there is quite a lot of room i think you are right to try the old motors you already have, it's certainly what i would do.

J.

C

Chuck

Just an update on progress with Carol Moran. Have finished assembly - and it floats! The modified servo works surprisingly well and moves her along at a nice speed. This saves the added expense and power requirements of a separate motor.

B

Bunkerbarge

That's a nice neat little model. All it needs now is a barge to tow!!

J

jankers

Nice to see the pic's, and pleased to hear the servo motor is working.

It will be interesting to learn how it fares in open water.

J.

T

Task Force 57

What a great little tug! Always good to see a new ship hitting the water, Some barges would be a very cool addition... Tugs look their best when working.

:peace: ps... congrats on the servo motor, Always better to raid the bits box rather then the bank account!

T

Tug Man

Dumas does make an upgrade to their servo idea. It is a 4.8 volt motor. You can find them on e bay or get one from Dumas. If that isn't to your liking than any small motor will do. Your not looking for a speedboat just a nice scale speed for a tug. I hope this helps some.

C

Chuck

Thanks for all your encouraging remarks. Maybe I'll build myself a barge, but not sure if my little motor/prop has enough HP to pull much. Hope to find out in "sea trials" on our little lake this weekend. I do have a couple of old 6v and 12v motors, but they seem like overkill for this size boat.

C

Chuck

Carol Moran Propulsion

Here's an update on propulsion for Carol Moran. The modified servo worked after a fashion, but didn't develop enough torque to overcome the shaft friction. I installed a large Dumas 6v motor and controller which I happened to have. Although this took up all available space (see photo), I now have power and speed to spare. Anybody have any plans for a simple barge I could build to tow?

View attachment 15823

DSC00620_s.JPG