Centurion AVLB (slow build)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Update.
The base is well underway, got off with good behaviour after I sanded down and re-sprayed the freezer in satin black for SWMBO - she keeps standing in that pose they take up when looking at what you have just finished - should I be worried.... Does that mean I now have to re decorate the kitchen.
I have found that's the way.

Boss comes home with some new cushions
"they don't match the room so we (meaning me) will have to redecorate."

Me :" why didn't you just buy some cushions that matched? "

I still bare the scars from the death glare she gave me!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have found that's the way.

Boss comes home with some new cushions
"they don't match the room so we (meaning me) will have to redecorate."

Me :" why didn't you just buy some cushions that matched? "

I still bare the scars from the death glare she gave me!
Yep! forget Darth Vader or any of the other scaries - when you get that look you know you are in troubleand a cup of tea and her favourite biscuits will not cover up the mistake, and years from now it will be brought up in the conversation...

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
With just the base to complete which will happen in due course. And as the main subject is the vehicle itself, I am now calling this build complete.
Thankyou one and all for staying with the build, your comments and likes. If you did not like it, well there are many more deserving builds on this forum that may spike your interest.
Completed model can now be seen on the 'Completed' section.
Mike.
20230802_143909_HDR.jpg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Jakko, Andy and Paul, many thanks, your support/comments are most welcome.
Mike.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Phew, had to go on a long search to find this one again.
As you may remember I had a disaster with the original base and decided to go at it again....
Well this is where I am today having worked on it along with other subjects...
20230914_160207_HDR.jpg
This is what it will look like once laid out on the display table

20230914_160215_HDR.jpg

There is still the 'water' to add on each section and at the moment I have 'water' from DeLuxe and Vallejo in pill cups to see if I get the problem I had last time, although this time I have sealed around the edges unlike the last base duh!

20230914_160227_HDR.jpg

Close up of the 'river' and the reeds.
The groundwork was the usual 'grass' but after watching YT video's I then re-worked the 'grass' with the airbrush starting with a black basecoat and then mixing up some Tamiya NATO Green and Yellow Green, then applying that lightly over the basecoat. Next I added more Yellow Green to the mix and went over again but randomly. Gave it an hour to dry and then again went over the base with just Yellow Green which added highlights to the grass. The bare earth was then given a light coat of Buff, followed when dry with a mix of Buff ang German Grey which gave me a grey earthy look. This will now be followed today with a dry earth watered down Earth acrylic from Vallejo in random areas of bare earth and once dry a dark wash to tone down the earth some more... Then hopefully the 'water' will have hardened and I can check to see which is suitable.
More later
Mike.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That looks excellent,love the track depressions, about 50% of the times I do that,they come out a bit "squashed" looking :flushed:,
Water is something I've yet to try,(more of a Cider man!!:tears-of-joy:),so I'll be following your progress with that particularly closely :tongue-out:.
Great stuff this:thumb2:.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Phew, had to go on a long search to find this one again.
As you may remember I had a disaster with the original base and decided to go at it again....
Well this is where I am today having worked on it along with other subjects...
View attachment 490645
This is what it will look like once laid out on the display table

View attachment 490646

There is still the 'water' to add on each section and at the moment I have 'water' from DeLuxe and Vallejo in pill cups to see if I get the problem I had last time, although this time I have sealed around the edges unlike the last base duh!

View attachment 490647

Close up of the 'river' and the reeds.
The groundwork was the usual 'grass' but after watching YT video's I then re-worked the 'grass' with the airbrush starting with a black basecoat and then mixing up some Tamiya NATO Green and Yellow Green, then applying that lightly over the basecoat. Next I added more Yellow Green to the mix and went over again but randomly. Gave it an hour to dry and then again went over the base with just Yellow Green which added highlights to the grass. The bare earth was then given a light coat of Buff, followed when dry with a mix of Buff ang German Grey which gave me a grey earthy look. This will now be followed today with a dry earth watered down Earth acrylic from Vallejo in random areas of bare earth and once dry a dark wash to tone down the earth some more... Then hopefully the 'water' will have hardened and I can check to see which is suitable.
More later
Mike.
I've gone for the painted grass method on my last couple of bases, and it was a bit of a face-palm moment as to how much better it looks!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is looking great Mike.i hope you find a satisfactory water.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That looks excellent,love the track depressions, about 50% of the times I do that,they come out a bit "squashed" looking :flushed:,
Water is something I've yet to try,(more of a Cider man!!:tears-of-joy:),so I'll be following your progress with that particularly closely :tongue-out:.
Great stuff this:thumb2:.
It's the Gin that gets me every time :tongue-out3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I've gone for the painted grass method on my last couple of bases, and it was a bit of a face-palm moment as to how much better it looks!
I know, I have all these bases with the artificial grass which when the sun gets on it you can see little red glowing bits - I claim it is the Fairies, and if the person looks closer they can see the magic mushroom houses - had a couple that bent down to get a closer look and then realised.....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good to see this is getting close to the finish line :smiling3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Well we got there, the water turned out clear and the bridge attached to the vehicle without any problems. The end pics will be posted on the completed sectionlater today.
Many thanks for all the kind comments and for sticking with the build.
This has been the longest build from research to finish (3 years) I have done and plan not to repeat it.
Cheers
Mike.