Centurion AVLB (slow build)

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Sorry there has been nothing put here for a few weeks, but when you have seen one section of bridge under construction then like the holiday snaps you do not need to see the rest... Slowly plodding along with the last section of the bridge and getting on with the base(s) for it. This among building a couple of new garden fences 1.1 scale for the neighbours, pet sitting while SWMBO is away for 10 days on Friday visiting a friend in the USA (control of the tv remote now fall to me...) and cutting the grass/watering the plants and fruit trees..... I have been known to kill even the the worst of weeds so do not hold out hope for the plants and trees.
Can someone tell me why the foam I am using, when cutting it you end up with a sand like dust that works its way into every crevice and sticks to everything, what a good job that after cutting the first piece I decided to finish the rest outside - the stuff was everywhere..... Apparently this foam is great for carving shapes etc - I really would like to see the workshop/studio after they had finished....
Anyway back to the build, so the stage is now at the riveting, and soon it will be onto the final assembly of this section and then joining the whole bridge together and ready for primer and paint. so once I get to that stage then I will post more pics.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So found some time to start consructing the base... Made the base from 12mm MDF (wanted 10mm but did not take my reading glasses with me) and the sides came from 5mm plywood. The whole was sealed with a wood sealer and once happy it was primed and the top coated in black (all from car spray paints). The foam as I described earlier behaved itself and was fitted into place - first with the area 'under water' to form the river bed and once happy with that I added some groundwork, weed representation and of course 'Finny the Fish'. So happy with that I then c/a'd in place a piece of 5mm clear perspex followed by the rest of the foam. Once this was dry I masked off the edges and measured out where the bridge itself would sit, the rollers would land and where the vehicle itself would stand on the base.
Once this was done I then cut out some cardboard templates and pinned them where I did not want the 'groundwork' to go. I then used about half a pot of Tetrion filler to build up the final height of the ground (about 2 - 3 mm), and once happy I then removed the masking tape and cleaned up any spots. And this dried in about two days and as I was busy doing some 1.1 work was not worrying it along. I still have the second half of the base to catch up as far as the base as a whole goes. And that is where I am today - here are some pics...
20230528_115146_HDR.jpg
This pic was taken just after the masking tape was removed, the rubber track pieces will come out later....
20230528_115356_HDR.jpg
On the right is the second half of the base..
20230528_115136_HDR.jpg
And here we have 'Fin the Fish about to swim away before some clown drops a great big bridge on him..... The little 'cup' things you can see in the perspex are in fact holes for the reeds to fit through - more later...
Cheers
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking good. I like the idea of splitting the base in two, so you don’t just have a bridge hanging in the air going nowhere, but also don’t need a base a metre long :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wibble looks very neat , for your safety do not let any plants die . Remember to water them during this hot spell every two days .
Wobble .

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Wibble looks very neat , for your safety do not let any plants die . Remember to water them during this hot spell every two days .
Wobble .
Got a dog to do that, on a good day he can hit the centre of the pot 18 inches high, I have to climb on the two-step ladded to get near.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Clever idea that two part base. Looks well thought out and neatly done.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Had a few days away from 'rivetting' and got on with the base. Still some work to do on the main base and just made a start on the second part...
20230619_104925_HDR.jpg
Base frame will get a clean up and polish once complete...
20230619_104939_HDR.jpg
Secondary base underway. The five holes at the top of the 'water' are where the reeds will go. And of course the obligatory 'fish'.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just a quick note, the second base is going forward with 'grass' laid down and the main base has now had the 'grass' brushed out and a black base coat applied, ready for the topcoat of various greens.
Cannot spend too much time at the bench due to a small injury where I find sitting painfull, and no it is not the 'arris....
And a quick word to John in the Model Shop - Compressor arrived, works and is now in residence in the man cave/shed.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
New compressor Mike? Tell us more!
Pete
Sorry Pete, forgot the details.
The old compressor that I keep in the shed/model cave was getting a bit long in the tooth and I was having to lug my other from my room down to the cave where I could quite happily spray all those laquers and other polluting contaminants. So it was decided to get a new one. Had a look around and landed on our own Scale Model Shop as I always do to compare the price of the item I want and always come out saving a few shekkels over the competitions prices.

So the model I purchased was the Sparmax C-AR-ARISM, it met all the requirements and I was happy with that.

Delivery was by DPD, and on the chime of the doorbell I hopped and skipped with my hands clasped to my busom in anticipation. Opened the door and looked straight at the DPD man, we both looked down and there was this little box sitting by the door step shivvering. Now compared to my usual Iwata Great Dane, this one looked like a Chihuahua..... And as I opened the box(s) it got smaller, whay have I done I thought!!! So I sneaked it up to the shed so that the neighbours would not see me and laugh... Very easy to connect up, you have the power cable (obvious), a new airline, a 'Silver Bullet' which is the moisture trap, air regulator and an airbrush holder. So sequence can be air regulator, airline, Silver Bullet and your airbrush... If used in this way the air cut off will not engage. Or you can go the airline Silver Bullet and airbrush, where the cut off will engage. I have an air regulator on the airbrush and notice that a lot of them now appear in this way, but if not you can always use and old peg across the airline and squeeze it to reduce the airflow as opposed to folding the airline in half...

Perfomance, sits on the floor and chugs away quite happily, noise level is quieter than my Iwata, air delivery is straight without any pulsing, on/off air switch works as advertised and on my test runs it paid for itself. Doing close work will require either the air regulator/ airbrush regulator and the peg method.

Overall impression, It will be nice to work and hold a conversation, instead of listening to the rattle and crash of my old one as it walked across the floor and went of exploring all on its own.....
5*****

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Mike, looks a nice compressor. I'm still using the AS-186S that I bought from John 5 or 6 years ago. It's getting a bit tired now, takes longer to fill the tank than it used to and soen't hold the pressure in the tank for long when it's turned off (not that that matters).
I bought a cheap Aerograph/DeVilbiss compressor a while ago from Facebook, cheap because it leaked - I've fixed the leak (I think) so must try using it sometime. It's much quieter than the AS186.
Pete

Reactions: JR

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So at last the riveting has finished, the last section of the bridge is now jigged up and the strengthening plates are being installed to keep it square, will leave this for 24 hours to make sure there is no movement.
A bit more work done on the base with the colour of the 'grass' toned down and the 'Reeds' now in place - just got to seal the holes at their base with a drop of pva and then add the water and the flow effect.
20230715_115350_HDR.jpg

20230715_115413_HDR.jpg

The 'grass' actually looks darker in natural light, these pics were taken under the 'daylight' bench light.
More later.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking very nice Wibble , a lot of work gone into that without doubt.

Wobble

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So what happens when you get over confident and make a mistake that cannot be rectified.....????
I forgot the cardinal rule when pouring 'water' - MAKE SURE ALL THE GAPS ARE FILLED AROUND THE EDGES - I should have realised when putting pva around the stems of the Reeds to seal the holes that I should have made sure all of the edges around the 'river' section were also sealed - I forgot.
I left the mistake to hopefully dry out overnight, but in the morning it looked even worse. So into the airing cupboard it went - same result after 48 hours.
20230717_090235_HDR.jpg
As you can see there is a sandy looking area on the river bead and the top of the 'water' is now a milky white. Not visible here are also air bubbles under the surface...
20230717_090229_HDR.jpg
.... but can be seen in the close up pic. Luckily the model was not fixed to the base, so now it is just a case of a new main base, plus I will check out the Vallejo water effects to see if it will dry clear on a test sheet.
Thankfully I went out and bought some materials for a future build so can divert some of these to the new base.
More later.
Mike.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike,
I feel for you mate, I have done the same. Not sure why it has dried white but I don't use the Valleyo water . I am sure though that a man of your talents will get it sorted.