Centurion Mk.III - Tamiya 1/25

S

Scuff

So here is the finished 1:25 scale model of the Centurion mk.III British main battle tank. It has been built out of the box with no extras, apart from the camouflage netting around the barrel which I made myself.

The paints used were as follows:

Primer was Vallejo grey polyurethane acrylic. This was also used for all of the interior surfaces. It gives a lovely smooth and resilient surface for the following paints.

The main overall colour was Tamiya Dark Yellow Matt XF-60. This was mixed about 40% paint with 60% Tamiya X-20 thinner.

Panel line preshading was done with Tamiya XF-1 Matt Black and overhead light simulation presahding was done with Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown.

Some weathering effects and shadow areas were done with Tamiya XF-49 Khaki.

The matt finish was thinned Vallejo matt varnish.

Chipping was hand painted with MrMetalColor MC24 Dark Iron. Exhaust and metal tool parts were also airbrushed with this paint as were the tracks and tow cables.

Weathering and rusting was done with a combination of Rust and Sand pigments. Various Tamiya weathering master sets for were used for streaking, rusting and staining effects. Lighter colours from these sets were used for edge highlighting.

Once the track pieces were buffed where the wheels ran and also where the locating lugs rubbed between the wheels, the pieces received a dunking in first rust, then sand pigments, with a good brush scrubbing between the two.

The exhaust parts were treated in the same way.

Although this was an old kit that I picked up from ebay for £30ukp, it went together reasonably well. There were plenty of moulding lines that needed scraping off before painting and the instructions had a couple of anomalies. The old decals were very yellow, so the markings for my choice of variant were spayed using a template that I cut out with a laser cutter, from a CAD drawing that I made.

I learnt a lot from trying various weathering methods on this build and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

As usual, and observations or comments are welcome. Enjoy the images.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Bull-***t...this isn't a model, none of your builds are models...that is a bloody real tank!

Of course I jest in the above comment but you see what I mean when I say that, have said it before about your builds Graham , there are so many top modellers on this site and I mean top, then there are the extreme few that just seem to be able to get a model to damn near perfection time after time after time, yours fit into this niche. Superb eye for quality and detailing, outstanding skills and workmanship.

Si:smiling3:

A

andyrobs

That is absolutely stunning, as already said this could easily pass as a real tank!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I say again: Amazing work Graham, I'm lost for words other than fantastic!

C

CDW

I've been trying to find something wrong with it and after an hour of looking I found in the 5th photo down the right (as you look at it) track has a speck of yellow on it.

It needs sorting ASAP!! :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

Now joking aside, I really need to get a new thesaurus because I'm struggling to find suitable words to describe how good it is.

Stunning, brilliant, just don't cut it in all honesty.

S

Stevekir

Very very good. Convincing. The steel plating looks thick and heavy. Really good detail, and weathering. Its good to see some close closeups. The photography is excellent and the background and framing set it off well. Impressive.

P

Polux

As I said in your under construction thread, is an excellent build.

With a perfect subtel weathering.

Polux

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Wow is all I can say an outstanding build and some great photography.

M

mobear

holy santa on his sleigh this is soooo good,the weathering is spot on and the tracks look well used.5*s from me,though it doesnt seem enough some how

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dare I say it... OK Then I will.

That is ruddy perfect.

fantastic work Scuff and one would never guess that you are a Photog. Excellent photos of and excellently built and painted model...

One of these has been taunting me from the shelves for a while now, but after having seen your one. I thing I will let it stay there.

Ian M

S

Scuff

Thanks for all of your compliments, they mean a lot when coming from modellers who can appreciate the time and effort we all put into the hobby.

I've just started a tamiya 1/35 Ausf A Panther. It feels tiny and simple to build after the big Centurion, but I'm looking forward to the painting and weathering stage.

Merry Christmas and I hope Santa is a modeller.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My oh my, what a model. Just perfect.......'nuff said.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I know your pics are first class, but put this model against a suitable background, and you wouldn't be able to tell it from a real one.

Gern

V

Vajled

this is amazing.

One of most beautiful build what I ever seen

Cheers

Roman