Churchill AVLB #2

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
As I have not built a bridgelayer in the last 10 minutes, thought I would give a preview of my next build. Older members will remember I built this before and there it was all on the base ready for the Nationals at St Ives when the shelf in the display case above it decided to give way and you can guess the end result. So here we are again with build #2.
At the moment everything is still in the boxes (Churchill and bridge) and I will combine my build of the Scimitar alongside the start of this one.

20230810_092211_HDR.jpg
More later.
Mike

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That will be one to watch. The mechanisms they used to come up with for launching bridges are always interesting to see :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Interesting. I do seem to remember the demise of build #1. Is this build a totally new effort or is it #1 rising phoenix like from the ashes?

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Interesting. I do seem to remember the demise of build #1. Is this build a totally new effort or is it #1 rising phoenix like from the ashes?
No Jim, this is a totally new build, unfortunately the #1 build had far too much damage to even think about restoration.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Well these are the kits/conversion I will be using...
20230810_095419_HDR.jpg

But! but! I hear you say, that is a waste of another bridgelayer - no!

20230810_095434_HDR.jpg

Here is one I built earlier before the AFV club one was released and was going to join a scratchbuilt bridge, so thankyou to AFV Clib for saving me all that work.
All I will use from this kit will be the Churchill itself as there has to be a little bit of surgery done to it.
More later - Churchill suspension to be built first.... :tired:
Mike

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Aha, that solves my question of which manufacturer the conversion set is by: that box is unmistakably from International Models Asia :smiling3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Aha, that solves my question of which manufacturer the conversion set is by: that box is unmistakably from International Models Asia :smiling3:
You guessed it...
But I now have to wander off and look at images of the real item to determine whet needs to be left off the model side sponsons which I believe were a different fit of parts. The mud shoot is still there but there are other parts that are not.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As I have not built a bridgelayer in the last 10 minutes, thought I would give a preview of my next build. Older members will remember I built this before and there it was all on the base ready for the Nationals at St Ives when the shelf in the display case above it decided to give way and you can guess the end result. So here we are again with build #2.
At the moment everything is still in the boxes (Churchill and bridge) and I will combine my build of the Scimitar alongside the start of this one.

View attachment 488213
More later.
Mike
Blimey, that's one clever bit of weight dispersal there!:anguished:
A very interesting vehicle for sure, I'll snuggle down and follow the fun:thumb2:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Well these are the kits/conversion I will be using...
View attachment 488376

But! but! I hear you say, that is a waste of another bridgelayer - no!

View attachment 488377

Here is one I built earlier before the AFV club one was released and was going to join a scratchbuilt bridge, so thankyou to AFV Clib for saving me all that work.
All I will use from this kit will be the Churchill itself as there has to be a little bit of surgery done to it.
More later - Churchill suspension to be built first.... :tired:
Mike
Look forward to this. I highly recommend the advice from @Jakko's build on how to put the suspension together. Saved me many hours and many swears.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Look forward to this. I highly recommend the advice from @Jakko's build on how to put the suspension together. Saved me many hours and many swears.
Jack you are talking to an old AFV Club Churchill builder. Jakko and myself have worked out our own methods for building up the suspension and we only follow the instructions lightly. The first one I built I followed the kit instructions parrot fashion, got halfway through and thought I was building the wrong kit....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
On my first AFV Club Churchill, I started by following the way the instructions say. I think I decided to deviate from that before I applied the first drop of glue because I figured it just wouldn’t work well :smiling3: I figured you would have reached much the same conclusion, though probably with a different solution.

In any case, IMHO it’s helpful advice to anyone who hasn’t built one of these kits to take a close look at the instructions’ assembly sequence, and suggest an alternative way of doing it. I would be interested in learning how you put it together, Mike — pick up tips for my next Churchill, with a bit of luck :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've got an old Tamiya Churchill that I'm looking forward to doing in the not too distant,do these suspension problems apply to that as well chaps?:thinking:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
On my first AFV Club Churchill, I started by following the way the instructions say. I think I decided to deviate from that before I applied the first drop of glue because I figured it just wouldn’t work well :smiling3: I figured you would have reached much the same conclusion, though probably with a different solution.

In any case, IMHO it’s helpful advice to anyone who hasn’t built one of these kits to take a close look at the instructions’ assembly sequence, and suggest an alternative way of doing it. I would be interested in learning how you put it together, Mike — pick up tips for my next Churchill, with a bit of luck :smiling3:
Lucky you, I got the first frame on and then realised it was on backwards and had to unglue it, had a swear:confounded:, and then started with my own way. I will put up some pics of my method.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I've got an old Tamiya Churchill that I'm looking forward to doing in the not too distant,do these suspension problems apply to that as well chaps?:thinking:
I think you will be lucky in that the springs/suspension are already moulded as one, and all you add are the wheels. It has been some years (1980) since I built my first bridgelayer using the then 'new' Tamiya Churchill and a scratchbuilt bridge with the 1/76 scale plans in the now dead military Modelling magazine, but still have them if you want to try it :tears-of-joy:
Mike

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So as discussed earlier, here is my method of construction....
20230813_101522_HDR.jpg
Right, that's enough of that... You are going to follow steps 1 and 2.
20230813_101803_HDR.jpg
Here are the parts you will eventually require....
20230813_101824_HDR.jpg
But these are the ones we will be working with to start us off...
20230813_105411_HDR.jpg
And do not forget the springs....
20230813_105521_HDR.jpg
If you have dodgy fingers and thumbs, then this is the method I use to seperate the springs - slide a knife blade between the two and then...
20230813_105601_HDR.jpg
... slide them apart. Saves all that grovelling on the floor looking for them.
20230813_105913_HDR.jpg
The springs have been put over the inner spring and slotted into the half hole, they should stay there under tension untill you are ready to join the other half of the sponson for glueing..
20230813_105956_HDR.jpg
20230813_113218_HDR.jpg
The main seam is glued, but with the top we do not want to glue the plastic 'spring' to the sponson, so a small amount of glue is put between the springs as shown above.
20230813_110554_HDR.jpg
The axle holes are then turned ready for the axles.... (The drawings show them opposite way round)
20230813_131111_HDR.jpg
OK. I did forget to photograph the assembly of the frames, I will do this with the next sponson.
But here is the sequence.
I first cemented the side frame to the sponson on the attachment points, which are small raised lines, in two places to make sure I had it correct. I left off the front frame untill I had completed the main frame.
Two of the connecting plates (D17) were put in place to make sure the frame was at 90 degees.
I then cemented the other half of the frame to the sponson and the two cross plates. The reason for this is that it now gives me a better and bigger part to hold.
Once happy with the fit, cement was run along both joint lines.
Next the cross plates were inserted inbetween the side frames one at a time, hel with tweezers and turned and fitted into the slots, now held with a finger and thumb on the outside of the frame while cement was run into the join. The the rest of the plates were positioned and glued.
Once this was complete and the correct plates were in their correct positions, it was then time to insert the suspension arms.
Making sure I had the correct arms for their correct position, I put one hole of the suspension arm into the frame location pin and with a little push the other hole slid into place on the other pin. Then it was a case of making sure the spring location was in the correct position. If not just a little push down on the spring and turn with a knife blade and the spring will rotate.
Last of all push the wheel axle through the hole in the spring and the suspension arm, add a drop of cement into the hole in the opposite wheel and place on the axle. But beware there is a 'key' slot and 'key' on the wheels...
20230813_131150_HDR.jpg
And that is my sequence of building the suspension.
I will post pics of the frames a little later today.
Time taken for one sponson was about 2 hours allowing for cutting off and cleaning parts.
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I see your method of adding the springs and their guide rods is much the same as the one I went for, except I didn’t bother to glue the lower parts of the sponsons between the springs. It hadn’t even occurred to me to glue one frame to the sponson and then add the plates, though. Might just try that when I build another Churchill, instead of building the whole frames off the tank and only then glueing them to the sponsons.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update to the update,
Here are the pics I forgot to take, so you can match them into the above....
20230813_171403_HDR.jpg
These are the slots for the cross plates, notice the difference..
20230813_171507_HDR.jpg
Here you can see the raised lines on the raised plates that the springs sit on..
20230813_171732_HDR.jpg
First frame tacked onto sponson and with two cross plates in position..
20230813_172426_HDR.jpg
20230813_172452_HDR.jpg
20230813_173801_HDR.jpg
The difference between the cross plates front and back, also be carefull of the end frames, they are different..
20230813_174625_HDR.jpg
All cross plates in position..
20230813_174938_HDR.jpg
Now starting to add the suspension arms, first slot into the pin..
20230813_175032_HDR.jpg
... and then gently spread the frame and slot the other half onto the pin..
20230813_175126_HDR.jpg
You will come across this problem - I used a drill shank of the same size to position the spring into place..
20230813_175844_HDR.jpg
And there we are all done and ready for the wheels..
20230813_182235_HDR.jpg
And finally - check for missing parts - only joking - this is what you are left with, they will be used for the spare wheel and suspension unit if you need it later in the build.
Cheers
Mike

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's confirmed then; I'm NEVER going to build a 1/35 Churchill :tears-of-joy:
Sales of AFV Churchills have dropped. It does indeed look to be modelling not for the faint hearted.
Very interesting though. I suppose you don't adapt a build sequence until you have tried the kit approach and found it wanting.