Churchill AVLB #2

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wibble a very comprehensive guide indeed.

Haven spoken to your psychiatrist I agree with him you are truly mad.;)
Yours
Wobble .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Got to be said, you make that look easy Mike, and I’m absolutely sure it isn’t.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've got an old Tamiya Churchill that I'm looking forward to doing in the not too distant,do these suspension problems apply to that as well chaps?:thinking:
Like Mike said, that one is much simpler:

Tamiya Churchill suspension.jpeg

It has the suspension arms, springs and spring guides all moulded in one piece with the main sponson parts, so you just add the outside frame and a small bit on the inside, as well as the wheels, of course. By my count, it’s 46 fewer parts than the AFV Club equivalent — per side! :smiling3:

you make that look easy Mike, and I’m absolutely sure it isn’t.
It’s not actually that bad. The AFV Club parts fit well, they’re just a little fiddly to line up and you have to be a little careful with the glue if you want to keep them movable. As I’ve said before, I would not recommend AFV Club kits if you don’t have a fair number of models under your belt, but if you have, IMHO it’s nothing you can’t handle.

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Sales of AFV Churchills have dropped. It does indeed look to be modelling not for the faint hearted.
Very interesting though. I suppose you don't adapt a build sequence until you have tried the kit approach and found it wanting.
Jim, once you get started it becomes really easy, it is just that initial shock of trying to follow the instructions and get things lined up. That was my downfall on the first one, then I devised my own method.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Wibble a very comprehensive guide indeed.

Haven spoken to your psychiatrist I agree with him you are truly mad.;)
Yours
Wobble .
Wobble,

I am the only sane one on here and I have the paperwork to prove it, just let me unroll a few pages/sheets for you....

Wibble

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Been working away in the background, the sponsons are now joined to the rest of the structure.
The kit turret ring has been removed and the new turret plate installed, the few gaps have been filled and the rivets have been replaced, also the vision block at the side has been cleaned up ready for the vision blocks to be added....
20230817_143313_HDR.jpg
The left and right 'A' frame has been fitted and the new vision block to replace the bow m/g...
20230817_143250_HDR.jpg
20230817_143259_HDR.jpg
And that is it for now, more later.
Cheers
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wibble that is stunning, envy your skill in building.
Wobble.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
The 'A' frames are now attached (pics below) and the build on the hull has come to a temporary halt due to a couple of missing parts and the correct location cannot be attained without them. But! Russell at imaco has sorted that problem and the replacements are on the way.
Meantime - I will start on the bridge so that the build does not lose momentum. And also complete the AFV Club part of the hull build.
20230823_074655_HDR.jpg
20230823_074705_HDR.jpg
More later...
Mike.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's really taking shape now - I made the AFV Club AVRE a couple of years ago - the suspension is a bit of a trial, you only need to mess up one & the whole spring thing becomes pointless!, and unless you have individual working track links is wasted! I'm working on a 3D printed Valentine Bridgelayer, but this has stalled - the equivalent 'A' frame part is proving a pig to print & I've put it aside at the moment. I had considered the Churchill AVLB, but the one piece bridge is a bit too big to fit on my printer, without major surgery. I may tackle the ARK instead;
Are you planning to ballast the hull, so you can display it mid-deployment?
Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That's really taking shape now - I made the AFV Club AVRE a couple of years ago - the suspension is a bit of a trial, you only need to mess up one & the whole spring thing becomes pointless!, and unless you have individual working track links is wasted! I'm working on a 3D printed Valentine Bridgelayer, but this has stalled - the equivalent 'A' frame part is proving a pig to print & I've put it aside at the moment. I had considered the Churchill AVLB, but the one piece bridge is a bit too big to fit on my printer, without major surgery. I may tackle the ARK instead;
Are you planning to ballast the hull, so you can display it mid-deployment?
Dave
Hi Dave,
Interesting about the Valentine, would this be to 1/35 scale? And the 'A' frame on this build still gave me trouble despite building one a couple of years ago. Got one side one the hinge, but could not work out why the other 'A' frame was twisted. Then I stopped and took a long look and realised that I was trying to fit the outside hole between the two holes on the support frame.
As for the suspension on the AFV Club Churchill, I agree it is a bit over the top, unless you want a running model. And like any other model, you struggle along trying your best not to bin the model and along come two smarta***'s and provide you with an easier way.... or a company come out with a model of the one you spent months scratchbuilding, for example Tamiya and their M113, spent weeks scratchbuilding it only for Tamiya to release theirs, and the same with the Command version, some days you just cannot win.
As for the AVLB bridge, it is so light that no weight is required.
Cheers
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
or a company come out with a model of the one you spent months scratchbuilding
Pick a subject nobody will ever release as a plastic kit. Like German E-series tanks. Oh, wait. Like early-war French vehicles. Hang on, wait … Like the M102 heavy tank … Crap. Like … um … I know! A Japanese superheavy tank! Yes! That’s i… wait a sec …

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave,
Interesting about the Valentine, would this be to 1/35 scale? And the 'A' frame on this build still gave me trouble despite building one a couple of years ago. Got one side one the hinge, but could not work out why the other 'A' frame was twisted. Then I stopped and took a long look and realised that I was trying to fit the outside hole between the two holes on the support frame.
As for the suspension on the AFV Club Churchill, I agree it is a bit over the top, unless you want a running model. And like any other model, you struggle along trying your best not to bin the model and along come two smarta***'s and provide you with an easier way.... or a company come out with a model of the one you spent months scratchbuilding, for example Tamiya and their M113, spent weeks scratchbuilding it only for Tamiya to release theirs, and the same with the Command version, some days you just cannot win.
As for the AVLB bridge, it is so light that no weight is required.
Cheers
Mike.
The Valentine is to 1/35 - I've blown it up from 1/56 - it's in several parts - left & right tracks, hull & the two bridge sections being the larger bits - the smalller bits include the 'A' frame being the one I'm struggling with! ( Aside from printing the gearbox to 1/19 scale - brain fade )
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/thre...-making-inclination.40977/page-15#post-689174
I'm still learning the 3D stuff, I only started in January
It's not the weight of the AVLB , but the physical size - my build plate is 220mm x 220mm, which limits things
Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Announcement - The build is on hold for a short time.
No there is nothing wrong, in fact the opposite.
So while waiting for my replacement parts and getting the Scimitar built, I recieved a request if I could build another AVLB as a commission. So as I have to order another Churchill kit and another bridge kit from HK, I have decided to build the two side by side, although I will only be reporting on my build. So a break will be taken... But I will not be sitting idle - one word Warrior....
More later
Mike.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Long overdue update,
As you may have read above there were parts missing and I was waiting for them to arrive, and in the meantime I got on with other builds and this one got shelved.
So, taking another look at it on last week I set to and demolished it (not litteraly)... I looked at the build and realised that I had in fact jumped the gun, I had failed to add the inner plates for the front track guards but added the launch frame, consequently I could not get the side plates fitted. Plus I was not happy with the centre turret cover. The parts from HK arrived at last (thankyou Russell), and that was the incentive to get going again.
As I said on the 'Doher' build, I have taken a break to sort out the builds that have been started never to be completed... And in my sorting out I came across another Churchill kit for the carpet layer (never to be built), so I looked at one and then looked at the other, looked at what required correcting and set to work... and this is where we are today - started a week ago....
20231119_160742_HDR.jpg
So as you can see the main hull has been completed except for the hatches, a new turret plate has been fitted, a new 'foot' for the launch frame and a new support frame for the hydraulic piston tank.
20231119_160752_HDR.jpg
The rear frame and toolbox are in place, the moulded edge plates that in real life fixed the mudguard to the hull have been removed so that the verticle frames could be fitted.
20231119_160840_HDR.jpg
This is the piston rod assembly and in the center aer the guides that were missing from the kit and caused the delay. If you look at the hull a lot of the side frames/fittings are missing, this is because they were not required on this version - and yes, I was tempted to do the version with the round crew entry/escape hatches...
20231120_155122_HDR.jpg
20231120_155143_HDR.jpg
The launch arm has been assembled and the piston rod/cylander are now in place with the front bridge support frames.
Ah! I can here you say - how do the crew get in and out if the slide frames are stopping the hatches opening fully - they used the sponson escape hatches....
Now for the bridge itself.
Mike