COMPLETED: Rolls Royce 1/16 Phantom Continental (1934)

S

Stevekir

Well, here at last is my finished Revell 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom Continental II (1934):

View attachment 90718

It’s a good kit. The only significant fault was with the doors which were too short and I had to lengthen them at the bottom—the first time I had to do surgery on a model. It was a complex kit to assemble. Many parts had to be lined up very accurately with neighbours. For example, the engine bulkhead (the part with the windscreen) had to fit accurately to 7 other parts: the doors, main body, four bonnet panels. There was only a small amount of sanding. At 34.5 cm (13 1/2 inches) it is impressively big, and a large size always offors lots of details which, for me, is important in a model.

Phantom IIs were built between 1929 to 1935, selling at £2,850, approximately £150,000 today. As with all Rollers, Rolls Royce built the chassis in Derby and the customer had a coach builder to complete the car. That is why there are so many different styles of early RR cars. The original car of this model was a Sedanca (a three-position drop-head coupé) built by Gurney Nutting. The name “Continental” reflected the design of the car which was built for high touring speeds on the well-surfaced straight roads of Continental Europe. 70 miles per hour (113 km/hour) could be sustained and it could reach 100 mph (160 km/hour). It was theideal choice for those who thought nothing of finishing work on a Friday and heading down to the South of France for the weekend. Many were built for the United States market. 281 Phantom II Continentals were built including 125 left-hand drive versions. You can buy one today in good condition for £350,000.

The car had a 7.5 litre 6 cylinder engine running at 10 miles per gallon (28 l/100km !) Two sparkplugs were fitted to each cylinder, one fed by a coil and the other by a magneto. This was to maintain reliability. Some had syncromesh gearchanging, and an electric starter was common along with a central lubrication system operated by a foot pedal (including lubricating between the individual leaves of the springs so that the car would not squeak!). Brakes were servo-assisted on all four wheels.

With only 40% of its length for the passengers and the trunk, the rest is accounted for by what makes it move: the engine and the driver. At this time the rooves of cars were made lower because top hats were not being worn so much. I love low long-bonnet cars, they shout power (but they must be very hard to drive compared to modern cars):

View attachment 90719

You’d get out of the way if you saw this coming at you:

View attachment 90720

The trunk didn’t hold much compared to today’s cars. I assume that if a couple (like in Downton Abbey) were driven to visit London from the Home Counties, the lady’s maid would be in the front passenger seat. Although, by about 1934, RR owners were starting to enjoy driving their cars themselves:

View attachment 90721

The Driver’s Compartment. I scratch-built the dash because the one in the kit was a poorly moulded one designed to be painted in gungy brown paint. I printed images of burr walnut from the Internet on to glossy photo paper and stuck it on (also on the tops of the doors). The controls on the steering wheel are “Early or Late” (for ignition advance and retard); “Open or Shut” (for the louvres on the radiator to adjust the cooling of the water); and “Max or Min” (to adjust the rate of charging of the battery):View attachment 90722

Rollers had the top of the trunk occupied by a tray carrying tools but I imagined this car being used for a picnic now and then, with the butler in the left front seat and the basket-work hamper, which I scratch built (or rather just the lid) carrying dainty sandwiches on paper doilies, a bottle of champagne, cut crystal classes and a Victoria sponge cake:

View attachment 90723

Two pictures of the engine:

View attachment 90724

Note the chrome seatback lever (Bare Metal Foil):

View attachment 90725

The build report is at:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/revell-1-16-rolls-royce-phantom-ii-continental-1934.26589/

========================================================================

01 with scenic background.jpg

02 Right side.jpg

03 Front view.jpg

04 Right Rear three-quarter.jpg

05 Dash.jpg

06 Trunk and basket.jpg

07 Engine looking forward.jpg

08 Engine looking backwards.jpg

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
stunning Steve a top build, you have done so very well on the paint work, and looks such a clean

build, and i do like the wood grain on the dash and door trim,s :D

T

Tone M

Fantastic Build Steve, I've really enjoyed watching it come together :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Exceptional Steve. Plus incredible detailing work. The basket inspirational.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Mr Kir!

What a little gem of a car. Classic clean and shiny. Three things I like in a car.

Very well done sir.

Ian M

D

Deleted member 3568

A truly beautiful job of a truly beautiful car bravo absolutely fabulous.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
A true classic in every sense one to be very proud of well done on a great build and a beautiful finish all round

L

Laurie

Just a point Steve. Is that your house in the picture. :eek:

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is a beautiful model and a real credit to your skills Steve, wonderful work on all levels. Stunning just stunning.

Si:smiling3:

P

phikoleoputra

Awesome work Steve, thanks for the information about the car, a piece of history that car.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great build Steve, flawlessly finished. I love the little touches like your walnut veneer idea and the picnic hamper looks brilliant! I agree with Bart too , the green looks loads better than the Maroon revell recommend. What is the building in the picture? it looks very much like Beechwood Hall at Norton not far from me! cheers tony

N

noble

Stunning work sir, my hat is off to you. That is a very beautiful piece indeed.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Absolutely stunning Steve. A lesson in how to finish a car model - perfect. Love the paint, bright work, basket and walnut dash.

5* goes without saying!

Paul

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Just a point Steve. Is that your house in the picture. :eek:Laurie
I wish. If I could afford a house like that I could also afford a Rolls Royce Phantom!