COMPLETED: Rolls Royce 1/16 Phantom Continental (1934)

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Great build! I must say that green looks much much better than maroon recommended by Revell.
Its Tamiya Synthetic lacquer TS 43, "Racing Green" = British Racing Green. I once saw a kettle in our electrical shop with "Colour, British Racing Green" on the box!

Actually, I rather like the colour on your Roller.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Great build Steve, flawlessly finished. I love the little touches like your walnut veneer idea and the picnic hamper looks brilliant! I agree with Bart too , the green looks loads better than the Maroon revell recommend. What is the building in the picture? it looks very much like Beechwood Hall at Norton not far from me! cheers tony
No, not that. It is in Wales I think—I took the photo some time ago. I reversed it left to right to suite the photo of the model. Its quite tricky getting the model's perspective to match.

Thanks folks for all the kind words.

T

tommy1drop

Stunning build Steve, it really is lovely mate, the paint work and finish is fantastic, you can almost imagine the chauffeur polishing that gleaming paintwork and chrome;)

P

Polux

Steve...can I ask, please, why you don't post any photo on our friendly contest..? :oops:

Is clear you like the photography...:eek:

C

Caledonia

Simply stunning build Steve, never had the nerve to try a car with all that chrome, but you certainly nailed it. Derek

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Steve...can I ask, please, why you don't post any photo on our friendly contest..? :oops:Is clear you like the photography...:eek:
Yes, I was thinking of that. Will do.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Simply stunning build Steve, never had the nerve to try a car with all that chrome, but you certainly nailed it. Derek
In case you didn't know, all the chromed parts except for 4 were supplied in the kit. You just glue them on. They use what must be a clever way of covering plastic with a chrome-like surface. The four exceptions are the four little seat-back adjustment levers for which I used Bare Metal Foil, which is simply stuck on. It is good for small parts but not so good for big ones due to an orange peeling surface.

D

Doug Hughes

Brilliant, Steve. Cars aren't my thing at all, but this looks just beautiful, with a flawless finish that's essential for this kind of subject. Plus some fantastic detailing and scratch-building. Well done indeed!

R

rogue-one

stunning model. exterior gloss finish is brilliant, interior paint work is brilliant. lovely to look at ;)

J

John Rixon

Nice one! The Burr Walnut is particularly effective. Excellent photos too - you have a light tent?

S

Stevekir

\ said:
stunning model. exterior gloss finish is brilliant, interior paint work is brilliant. lovely to look at ;)
Well, the right back mudguard in my fourth photo shows slight signs of orange peeling which I tried to avoid. The trick seems to be to get as much flooding on the last coat so that before it dries it looks very wet and with no orange-peeling. I found that it won't polish out.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
While not a car guy I must say Superbly done my friend! ;)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Great work Steve .......... Absolutely stunning. Five Very Big Stars from me Matety.

Peter

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Nice one! The Burr Walnut is particularly effective. Excellent photos too - you have a light tent?
Thanks. I am pleased about the Burr Walnut.

I have a small light tent but didn't use it for these photos. I put a piece of wallpaper lining paper on a flat surface and curved it up at the back to make a seamless join of base and background. Then lit it with a lamp in an umbrella. You can get two outfits in one deal, each outfit having an umbrella, a telescopic stand and a 20W energy saving bulb, and a carrying case, all for £38. Good quality, tremendous value. The bulb is not as bright as a conventional very hot Photoflood bulb of lots of Watts, so I used a manual exposure of about 3 secs. From Amazon:

View attachment 101216

Lamp.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This really is quite brilliant. Very well done Steve.