COMPLETED: Rolls Royce 1/16 Phantom Continental (1934)

S

Stevekir

It's now a year since I finished the model itself. The next stage was to mount it on a base with a transparent cover. I got heavily delayed on that but at last it is finished, completely. The build report :

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/revell-1-16-rolls-royce-phantom-ii-continental-1934.26589/

Car-05.jpg

The base and case came from:

http://www.just-bases.co.uk/

and cost £70. They attend shows such as Telford. The perspex case is made in three parts: two ends, and the top and sides which are one piece, folded. The result is exceptionally good. Quite expensive, so it is good that I am such a very slow modeller. Parts of the model are extremely delicate and without a cover they would disappear and it would get dusty (as models do) and this one would be very difficult to clean.

The base represents gravel (brown limestone chippings) and was made with Silver Sand got from a garden centre. After a coat of PVA (from a builders' merchant - the type sold for modelling canopies etc. is far too expensive for big jobs - the sand was sprinkled on generously and when dry brushed off. The first two experiments were unacceptable because many white spots appeared which was puzzling. At last I twigged: the sand probably came from a beach and was contaminated with salt. A thorough wash cured that. The sand adhered very strongly.

The model was fixed to the base by making a "T"-shaped soldered end to some stranded brass picture wire fed through a hole in the base and fixed to a screw under the base. For fixing, access to the underside was tricky without the model sliding off, so I secured it as shown and held the base vertically in a vice:

Car with strings.jpg

Rectangular trenches were cut for under the wheels to make them sink into the gravel and also to look flattened as tyres do, some more glue and sand being added to fill in any gaps. Without the trenches a model looks like it is plonked on top and not fully part of the scene.

After thoroughly cleaning the inside of the case it was fixed with two tiny scratchbuilt brass angles which can just be seen at each end. The handles came from the Internet. They clash slightly with the chrome of the car so perhaps I should have used chrome handles. It looks good on the shelf. Next is an enormous 1/24 road tractor with long timber trailer.

Last edited:
First Name
barry
Great work Steve like how you have painted the wheels .

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Lovely job Steve. A real Gem. Faultless..... I like that a lot

First Name
Robert
An awesome build of a fantastic looking RollsRoyce everything in tip top fashion...... Top hole geeves!!!

Fantastic

Robert

First Name
Mike
Looks brilliant, Steve. Nice work on the base too, I like the sunken tyres. thumbs.png

M

MK Academy

Nice one Steve..I know it's a hard build, it took me a while to complete mine..I attached a couple of images..different colours..FB_IMG_1453591176883.jpg

FB_IMG_1453591132038.jpg

and the Ford t model :smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Absolutely beautiful Steve, not a car builder but I can imagine you fussing over the paint and other details..... A1 job!...............Jim:smiling3:

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Absolutely beautiful Steve, not a car builder but I can imagine you fussing over the paint and other details..... A1 job!...............Jim:smiling3:
Yes. I was determined to get a good shine, up to R-R standards. I can imagine myself driving this elegant car in my local town, giving a "Queen Mum" wave to the awestruck masses. You can buy one in good condition from £120,00 -250,00, but where could you keep it safe?