compressed air??

S

stuart.c.82

Forgive my stupidness if this is insane.....

Talking to my neighbour (who dosent model) I said I was getting an airbrush for modelling and how expensive compressors are... He immediatly walked to his garage and said.... "I've got an EMPTY pressure tank (like a calorgas canister), I could fill it up from my compressor. if you buy a regulator you can have it and I'll refill it free anytime"

Has anyone ever heard or used this method?? would it work??

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
ive heard of it done with scuba tanks.......make sure you have a moisture trap as well as a pressure regulator....and all the thread sizes are compatable

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
id also make sure that canister can hold the pressure you re going to need.....no idea what calor gas pressure is

S

stuart.c.82

Ok that sounds promising. Let me do some research then regarding pressures and such.

Thank you.

D

dubster72

A Calor gas tank will easily hold more than enough pressure for airbrushing. A chap at my local model club uses one. People have even used tyres as a reservoir for compressed air!

As Paul said, a moisture trap is essential & a decent regulator will save money in the long run. The ones most usually fitted to modelling compressors are prone to leaking due to cheap parts.

S

stuart.c.82

I did wonder about a tyre (got loads of them knocking about) and can refill it from the car pump thing.... Was thinking the gas bottle although empty might still have fumes in it.. Don't want to be getting all high or anything:confused:

That's a completely different hobby ;)

S

stuart.c.82

What kind of pressure will the airbrush take if I use the tyre method? 40/50 psi?

Or do I still get a regulator for that method?

Would this kind of thing be correct?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moisture+trap+and+regulator&tbs=vw:l&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&ei=g-SpVsq4KMKOa8O9gbAL&start=20&sa=N&biw=527&bih=295&dpr=1.5

Last edited:
S

stuart.c.82

I Will buy a propper compressor at some point but just want to get started. Bought a good airbrush (£100 worth) so don't want to be blowing it up

D

dubster72

Any residual gas fumes are more likely to get you blown up than high Stuart! Just flush the tank with air a couple of times to clear it out.

Tyres have one main drawback - a lack of capacity. You'll be forever filling it up if you don't have your own industrial compressor. Also the risk of contamination is higher - dirt, dust, rubber flakes don't make good bedfellows when spraying.

Most tyres in good nick will take 50 PSI. But you'll always need a pressure regulator, whichever route you take for the air reservoir.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that filling a tank tyre is similar to using a can of compressed air. You've got to keep an eye on what's remaining, because it's quite easy to keep spraying without knowing that the pressure is almost gone. That can cause all kinds of problems, most of which will ruin a paint job!

S

stuart.c.82

Ok I see. Maybe I'll just spend the £75 and be done with it. First model or two I'm gonna grab some car spray paint. Don't want to be breaking a brand new airbrush.

M

Mark P

\ said:
Forgive my stupidness if this is insane.....
Talking to my neighbour (who dosent model) I said I was getting an airbrush for modelling and how expensive compressors are... He immediatly walked to his garage and said.... "I've got an EMPTY pressure tank (like a calorgas canister), I could fill it up from my compressor. if you buy a regulator you can have it and I'll refill it free anytime"

Has anyone ever heard or used this method?? would it work??
My brother in the past has done exactly the same for me and it works really well! I do now however own a airbrush compressor as they are smaller.

S

stuart.c.82

Thanks Mark... I'm now re thinking the tank.... As I can get it refilled free all I'd need is a good regulator/airfilter combo which I could get for around 10/15 quid.... Fumes are my worry as I have small kids tho. Let me see if he fills and empties it a couple of times if I can smell anything

M

Mark P

The problem is Stuart if its an old gas bottle there will be liquid gas in it for quite a while! Mine was an old air compressor tank so I didn't have to worry about that side of it but in the end a £50 compressor from on here has been running great and does all that I need it to do and as said earlier its smaller and lighter ;)

S

stuart.c.82

Yep think your right. A basic compressors the way to go. Gonna bite the bullet and get one.... Worth it in the long run... Spray cans and brush paint in the mean time.

J

John Rixon

We used to use inner tubes back in the day when a small compressor with a tank would cost circa. £300 (minority interest, so not mass produced). Don't bother, its more trouble than its worth, and my £50 comp

41P6fZHzklL.jpg

has been going for over a year with no issues whatsoever, it also came with 2 airbrushes which, although are cheapo chinese copies, they spray varnished fine!

I doubt it would cope well with prolonged (hours) of contiuous use, but your airbrush will clog well before that happens! ;) ;)

S

stuart.c.82

Excellent! Thanks fellas. I'm knocking the cheapo option to the curb and gonna get it done proppa! That way I'm committed to the hobby...... And you lot are stuck answering my stupid questions forever.... Mmmmwwwaaahahahaha! :P

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

I switched from a compressor to a Co2 cylinder a couple of years ago and never looked back. The small bottle I use holds almost 2000 psi. I bought a Co2 regulator with an adjustable valve to show what the bottle pressure is and what the pressure is going out. There is zero moisture, so no need for a moisture trap. It is compact and 100% quiet. The only sound on the whole rig comes from the airbrush itself as the brush is used. And since I use acrylic paints exclusively, I can paint in my hobby area in the house, rain or shine.

S

stuart.c.82

Back and forth I go from choice to choice... Got a paintball shop in town I might see how much a co2 cylinder will cost... The fact I won't have to plug anything in appeals to me! so no moisture trap on co2?? Just a plain regulator with psi controll? What size cylinder do you have?

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Here is a photo of my setup. The bottle is a 5lb (here in the states anyway,) and I made the shelf you see specifically for this. The bottle itself is about 18" tall, or thereabouts. When I empty it I take it to the local gas/welding supply and exchange it for a full bottle. Costs $14.00 USD.

The dial on the right of the gauge shows tank pressure. The one on the left shows outlet pressure which is controlled by the handle in the middle. When I am done with the spray job, I close the valve at the top of the bottle, then hit the trigger on the airbrush until the residual air has been bled out of the regulator.

It really is one of the best upgrades I have made in this hobby. And there is zero moisture. Because it is CO2 and filled by the gas shops apparatus, there is no condensation build up regardless of the weather/humidity.

Another benefit, by the way, is that it is completely portable. If for some crazy reason I wanted to spray enamels I just take it out to the shop. no muss... no fuss.

20150630_202410_zps1xioy46w.jpg