compressed air??

B

Benhur

Save and buy a decent compressor. If you have a good airbrush it deserves a good compressor. I have never found trying to cut corners to save cash has worked but I know for some it is OK.

S

stuart.c.82

I really like this idea.... If I can find somewhere to supply me FILTERED air with no moisture the silence and portability (as I will have to set up each time in the conservatory and then pack up each time) really appeals to me. Still gonna look for a nice small quiet compressor too as I think the air refill might be hard around here.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Stuart, if you have any more questions let me know. If I weren't in the house I would be using one of the two air compressors I have. Both have tanks and moisture traps.

\ said:
Save and buy a decent compressor. If you have a good airbrush it deserves a good compressor. I have never found trying to cut corners to save cash has worked but I know for some it is OK.
Not sure if this is directed at my method, but if one can save money and do the job, why not. And it is hardly a "corner cutting" method, just a different one. If a person can have a compressor in the house, splendid. I like the quiet nature of the CO2 cylinder. I have a window between my hobby room and the living room. If my wife and kids are in the living room (which is most of the time) I can still carry on a conversation with them while I am building or painting. And if my wife or kids are reading in the next room, a noisy compressor won't bother them. Happy family all around!

And cheap airbrush or expensive, a CO2 cylinder does not discriminate. Equal rights for all!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Stuart, if you have any more questions let me know. If I weren't in the house I would be using one of the two air compressors I have. Both have tanks and moisture traps.
Not sure if this is directed at my method, but if one can save money and do the job, why not. And it is hardly a "corner cutting" method, just a different one. If a person can have a compressor in the house, splendid. I like the quiet nature of the CO2 cylinder. I have a window between my hobby room and the living room. If my wife and kids are in the living room (which is most of the time) I can still carry on a conversation with them while I am building or painting. And if my wife or kids are reading in the next room, a noisy compressor won't bother them. Happy family all around!

And cheap airbrush or expensive, a CO2 cylinder does not discriminate. Equal rights for all!
That's certainly a different set up from an inner tube, looks good!

Is that a Paasche single action your toting there? I have a hankering to go back to a single action, for my needs, they are perfect!

D

dubster72

Sounds to me like your ideal setup would be using a fridge compressor. It's whisper quiet & you can fit it into a desk which could be kept in your conservatory.

You'd need a tank as a reservoir (I cannibalized my old AS 186) and some fittings. All of these are easily found via the net or on eBay.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Indeed it is. I generally use it for primer or base coats. I use the .5 tip for that. I have also used it to good effect spraying mottling and the fine swirls seen on the German Ta-152s. As long as the paint cooperates it works very well. Oh, and the .3 tip.

Sometimes a point and shoot single action is just the ticket.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Indeed it is. I generally use it for primer or base coats. I use the .5 tip for that. I have also used it to good effect spraying mottling and the fine swirls seen on the German Ta-152s. As long as the paint cooperates it works very well. Oh, and the .3 tip.
Sometimes a point and shoot single action is just the ticket.
Couldn't agree more! If Iwata had released their amazing new M2 brush when I was shopping for an airbrush, I'd have jumped at it. It's easier to clean than even the H&S ultra, and that's saying something!

S

stuart.c.82

\ said:
Here is a photo of my setup. The bottle is a 5lb (here in the states anyway,) and I made the shelf you see specifically for this. The bottle itself is about 18" tall, or thereabouts. When I empty it I take it to the local gas/welding supply and exchange it for a full bottle. Costs $14.00 USD.
The dial on the right of the gauge shows tank pressure. The one on the left shows outlet pressure which is controlled by the handle in the middle. When I am done with the spray job, I close the valve at the top of the bottle, then hit the trigger on the airbrush until the residual air has been bled out of the regulator.

It really is one of the best upgrades I have made in this hobby. And there is zero moisture. Because it is CO2 and filled by the gas shops apparatus, there is no condensation build up regardless of the weather/humidity.

Another benefit, by the way, is that it is completely portable. If for some crazy reason I wanted to spray enamels I just take it out to the shop. no muss... no fuss.

View attachment 144870
Charlie... How long does your tank last? And what psi do you fill it too? .. I've just been offered a diving bottle and as I want to "set up shop" in the room nextdoor to my youngest and model whilst he's asleep the silent tank is a must (according to her that must be obeyed)

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Stuart, I am not sure how long it lasts. Quite awhile. For instance, I have primed, painted, and clear coated three models, not to mention all of the little stuff and smaller parts in between plus thorough cleaning every time. Also the 1/25 scale Tiger took a lot of paint inside and out. I don't fill the tank myself. I take it to the local gas supply and trade it for a full bottle. It is right at or just below 1000 psi when I get it from the supplier. After all of what I mentioned above, it is still at ~800 psi. I generally spray from 12 to 18 psi depending on the material I am using, and what I am using it for. Mostly 15/16 psi is what I use. it cost me $14.00 USD when I take it for exchange.

I would be hard pressed to go back to a compressor.

S

stuart.c.82

Great. Thanks! The dive bottle I've been given is a big ish one but it needs a new regulator valve so just got to get one, if i get a valve with a moisture filter my neighbour thinks he can fill it up free with normal air???? (Is that right), and as it'll be silent the mrs will be happy! Gonna use Vallejo air, I don't want any bad odours floating around.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

I don't know what kind of equipment your neighbor has, but I am pretty sure it takes some pretty specialized stuff to get pressures that high. Is there a place you can check to see how much it would cost to have it done professionally?

S

stuart.c.82

Yeah probably... Theres a paintball place so that's probably my best bet

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

There you go. And Co2 will allow you to run it without a moisture trap. Also when you get a regulator get one for Co2. When I got mine they had different regulators for different gases.

First Name
Robert
Well I got a cheap chinaese £49 compressor from eBay a few years ago, worked well from limited use but then I joined this forum and well 1 thing after another went wrong with it ( brother in law ) fixed it a bit but there was no reserve tank on it ( now I know very little on compressors but I saw one in John ( Scale Model Shop ) so ordered that one AS189 I think and it has two airbrush ports and a big tank on it ( I think ) once it comes into port and I get it I'll do a review on it ( in my own way )

Robert