Compressor/Airbrush troubles

0ne48thtel

Can anyone help please?

I am having a problem with my compressor/airbrushes. Everything has been going swmmingly Until yesterday. when using the airbrush it started phutt phutting so I stripped it down cleaned it and then tried to carry on. The same thing happened again so I changed brushes but the same thing happened. So again I stripped the brush cleaned it and tried again. No joy again so I drain ed the tank of air and let the small amount of water in the bottom. I then tried again again with no joy.

I tried thinning the paints down again as it seemed ok with just water or thinner going through but again it seems to do the phut phut. Any help would be really appreciated.

The compressor isn't that old so I am really hoping it isn't a case I need another.

D

Deleted member 3568

Well I don't know much about air brushes but if you tried another brush which was working before it seems logical that it's the compressor or maybe there is a leak somewhere in your hose

0ne48thtel

I forgot to say both brushes were used on separate lines. That is why I thought it was the compressor it self.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Terry , I'm not sure exactly what's going on.

You describe the brushes as "phut-phutting" and I think I know what you mean. You also mention that you have a compressor with a reservoir/tank on it. If the tank is charged I don't see how any irregular air flow can be emanating from the compressor, it's the whole point of having the reservoir. This makes me suspect the problem lies with the airbrushes.

Are the two airbrushes you used different types? What are You say that they worked normally with water but not with your paint?

0ne48thtel

Yes Steve they are both gravity fed I am quite perplexed as to what the problem is. I could reason with one not functioning properly but to have two go down one after the other made me think it was the compressor.

I am using vallejo paints through them and as stated before have thinned them down. tried them and thinned them down some more.

0ne48thtel

\ said:
Terry , I'm not sure exactly what's going on.You describe the brushes as "phut-phutting" and I think I know what you mean. You also mention that you have a compressor with a reservoir/tank on it. If the tank is charged I don't see how any irregular air flow can be emanating from the compressor, it's the whole point of having the reservoir. This makes me suspect the problem lies with the airbrushes.

Are the two airbrushes you used different types? What are You say that they worked normally with water but not with your paint?
this is the set up I run Steve nothing fancy but up to now has given no problems.

View attachment 83661

View attachment 83662

018.JPG

019.JPG

D

dubster72

I'm inclined to blame the paint Terry. I find Vallejo inconsistent & quite prone to atmospheric conditions.

I was having similar troubles yesterday, with a lot of spluttering & clogging which I think was due to the heat.

Today it's been fine & The only difference is that it's slightly cooler.

One thing to try - if you usually mix the paint in the airbrush cup, put the thinner in before the paint as that stops a glob of thick paint passion through the nozzle before the thinned stuff.

Or mix the paint in a separate container.

0ne48thtel

Patrick I mix the paint in small bottles prior to to spraying to stop that blob effect in the cup bottom. I did notice the paint was gathering around the tip and I had to keep removing it. That was another reason why I thinned down the paint even more.

D

dubster72

Oh the joys of airbrushing! Well, I'm going back to spraying with Tamiya paints - flow improver helped with Vallejo, but their inconsistent behaviour is just too annoying for me.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I had a similar issue, turned out it was the airbrush seals that had slightly perished so the air was hissing more, new seals stopped this.

0ne48thtel

Funny you should say that Si that thought had crossed my mind but soon left when the second brush went down.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Well, it isn't uncommon for both to fail. Also check your connectors from the compressor that no junk has got in, even small particles could cause a leak. If they're working fine with water then I would say that paint is drying too quickly at the needle/nozzle end and then when you use again it is having to push harder and you're getting that spluttering.

Si:smiling3:

0ne48thtel

I have stripped them down and cleaned them thoroughly Si and still get the same issue hence the reason I am at a loss.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Is the paint spluttering out of the nozzle? That is, is it spurting intermittently? Also are there any air bubbles appearing in the paint cup?

I'm having difficulty seeing how this can be the compressor. If the compressor is working and filling the reservoir, meaning the pressure to your brush is being set by the regulator, I don't see how that supply can be intermittent. I bet if you charge the system and them detach/unscrew the airbrush a constant stream of air will flow out of the disconnected hose until the reservoir is empty.

Of course I might have completely misunderstood the problem :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

0ne48thtel

You are spot on Steve it does splutter and yes bubbles do appear in the cup. Usually I can resolve my issues with this sort of thing but this has me stumped. Or it could be I am not seeing what is in front of my eyes.

Thanks for yours and every ones time with this it is much appreciated.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm even more convinced it is the airbrush(es). The first thing to check is that the nozzle and nozzle cap are both tight and sealed.

Steve

L

Laurie

If this happened to me, and it has, I would have a look at the nozzles. If it is spluttering in the cup then the air cannot get through the nozzle area some where and is backing up through the paint in the cup. Perhaps sometimes the paint finds a way through the partially blocked nozzle and then it re-blocks again. Have you tried putting cleaner through the brushes. If it will not go then this is I would guess again at the nozzles.

Clean them then sight through against a bright light to see that there is a good clear orifice.

Be interested to see what needle/nozzle you are using Terry. Vallejo advice .35 or .4. I have a H & S with .4 and an Iwata with .35. The only problem I have had is due to poor cleaning. Vallejo has worked perfectly for me and never had to use a retarder and that is in Jersey which is considerably warmer than the UK.

Is the room you are in Terry hot does it face the sunside ? Also where are the paints stored ? They should be kept in the cool.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
These are double action internal mix brushes?

Steve

D

dubster72

\ said:
Vallejo has worked perfectly for me and never had to use a retarder and that is in Jersey which is considerably warmer than the UKLaurie
Funny how London topped 26° yesterday & Jersey was 19° hmm