controversial statement

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Chores - given at breakfast time to go down with the Wheatabix....
Tea - when stomach tells me, or if it is a roast meal I can tell by the curses and the crashing of pots and oven door slamming, bit like Animal the demented drummer on the Muppets....
Animal isn’t demented, he’s like every drummer I’ve ever met or played with LOL….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
......but never as strange as base players.
Actually, you might be in to something there……but I think that’s because they get fed up with everyone saying how much easier bass must be than guitar because it has less strings…..funny that no one ever says that about violinists isn’t it.

Reactions: JR

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As a returnee to the hobby, I do not understand "The Stash"
You are not alone, though certainly in a minority.

I have never maintained a stash. I currently have exactly one model (and Xmas present) awaiting my attention and I don't believe that I've never had more than a couple of unbuilt kits at any given time in the last....errr....lots of years.

I do think that there is a slippery slope. Once you've established a very modest stash of, say, half a dozen models it will be almost inevitable that before you can say boo to a goose you will be building shelves and making at least one room look like and old and now almost extinct 'bricks and mortar' model shop :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Like octopi, alien in nature and seemingly wise & all knowing.

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
I'm amazed at some of the numbers on here but when you consider the various reasons they sort of make sense. Personally I'm at the most I've ever been which is about 12 unbuilt and 3 on the go. (Is having a few on the go at one time the norm or the exception?).
With this number I know I'm definitely not in a hurry to buy anything the rest of this year, unless something I must have pops up, or I see a great offer somewhere for something I like.
If money/space was no object though, would I have the huge numbers that some folk on here have?
Ya damn right!!

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I build WW2 Russian vehicles in 1/35 recently started on lend lease as well. Done a few 1/72, too small to see properly. Have a reasonable stash, took offers of good discounts. Have a fair amount of figures ,In both Russian and German . Am interested in the Battle Of Kursk so have a few German as well .
Takes all sorts in the modelling world.

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
A few moths ago, I decided to get back into this hobby, after an absence of many decades. I then posted this thread as I could not understand why modellers created such huge stashes of unmade models. As I have not yet finished the workshop we are building (will it ever stop raining and dry up?) I still have nowhere to work. I have been buying the odd tool and some modern paints etc. (acceptable!?) However, I can now see how 'The Stash' develops. With every sinew in my body, I have tried to resist the temptation to buy kits... It did not work. I now have a stash of four!

I will not buy any more until my workshop is ready... Honest!

Ralph

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yea right LOL……I find every time I think that I develop a problem with my credit card…..I can’t keep it out of the model shop.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I got back into the hobby around 6-7 weeks ago and in that time I've gone from a stash of 0 to a stash of ..let me check.. 10 ..I may have a problem already eeek!
Steve, keep that up and in about five years time you are going to need a bigger house LOL.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
A few moths ago, I decided to get back into this hobby, after an absence of many decades. I then posted this thread as I could not understand why modellers created such huge stashes of unmade models. As I have not yet finished the workshop we are building (will it ever stop raining and dry up?) I still have nowhere to work. I have been buying the odd tool and some modern paints etc. (acceptable!?) However, I can now see how 'The Stash' develops. With every sinew in my body, I have tried to resist the temptation to buy kits... It did not work. I now have a stash of four!

I will not buy any more until my workshop is ready... Honest!

Ralph
Ha! That's how it starts, Aunty buys you a kit for Xmas, then the other relatives who have no idea what you like, cotton on to the fact that Aunty bought you something that kept you quiet so the adults could talk.... Then the 'hobby' goes away as you develop other 'interests' or work and a family get in the way... BUT! in the back of your mind is that little voice, that nagging, that lustfull urge as you pass by the model shop, or the model magazine on the newsagents shelves, it has never gone away, it has always been there, even when having the craft snog in the model shop doorway, lips all puckered up but one eye roving over all those goodies on display on the shelves... Then you reach the age of real adulthood, the little darlings have all grown up and flown the nest (big sigh) the house is empty, work is no more, golf has lost its pull after you pulled the last six balls though the chairmans greenhouse windows.... Gardening offers no challenge except you wonder why Smiggins next door can grow anything and all you can do is kill every living plant, weeds and the grass as you mow it... So you dicuss it with SWMBO and she agrees but only that it does not intrude into the house, and that the kitchen table is cleared for when Mother comes on Sunday for dinner.... Eventually Mother goes to the land of all Mothers and there is just the two of you, SWMBO happy in her little circle of friends, tea visits, gardening and other mysteries that women can discuss with not a word said but an eyebrow lift here or a glance there and communication is made, while you are left to kick a stone around on the patio because you are not into their circle of mind talk... Eventually you broach the subject again of making models, and there is that spare bedroom full of junk, and how you could clear it out and the models would remain in the room and how you could go there when the females are having their pow-wow and be out of the way, only to appear at the bottom of the stair for the goodbye air kiss as they leave, and they all comment on how pasty you look and that you should be out more, try taking up golf!!!!
But there you are, all in your own little world, the model is under construction, and as you lock yourself in the tiolet with that magazine you sneaked into the house you sit there shuddering and sighing at the pages of models in all poses, showing off the little touches and parts you would normally not see, and you lust for more, and cry out in pleasure YES!!!! as you realise that you can afford that model and the etch brass set to go with it....
And then the deception starts, you have that empty cupboard in your room, you sneak about like a thief in the night, mumbling excuses like you need to check your tie is straight, but really we all know that you only need to hide that bottle of Duck Bottom Pink paint....
And that is how it starts, blame Aunty for plying you full of lust and the drug of the dreaded plastic kit, the first sniff as you take the lid of the box, that first caress of the decal sheet, the raised rivet detail, you cry over the box art and only wish you could replicate that artwork in three dimensions.... And how you need to fill that cupboard because that etch set looks very lonely laying on that shelf all on its own....
Yes! Dear, Just coming, had to check my tie was straight, what time are your friends arriving.............

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HOW WELL you know all us rabble Mike but its because it hits you the same LOL so yes we know aunty is to blame trouble is i now havnt any to blame LOL
chrisb

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
In my case it was my grandson PJ wot started it all. Somebody gave him a 1/72 Airfix kit of some US jet which his mom promptly gave to me and asked if I could build it for him. 2 weeks later I saw one of the Revell Ju52 kits in the window of a Modelzone shop as I was passing to go to Argos - me being a big fan of Where Eagles Dare and it only being £10 that was it. I gotta be around £15000 worse off but at least I've kept myself occupied and away from those nice young men in their clean white coats at the funny farm.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I reckon model kits should include "tokens". If you collect a certain number you can get a free session with a therapist of your choice. The more kits = more tokens = more therapy. Eventually all the treatment might, just might, stop the adding to the stash.