corrugated sheets

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
For the old farmhouse in my current dio I need some 1/35 scale corrugated roofing sheets. Found a few YouTube videos etc on how to make your own. I had a go and it worked well. Many of you will know how it's done but some might find it useful. Certainly a lot cheaper than ready made sheets or buying the tool to make your own.

Start with a rectangle of thickish styrene. Stick lengths of 1.2mm styrene rod onto the base leaving 1.2mm gaps. My rods were 8cm long. You'll also need a wooden stick, kebab skewer, with a rounded, pointy end. Stick your jig to the bench with tape.
P1070266.JPG

Raid the kitchen or have a take-away 'cause you need a foil food container. Cut a strip of foil to size. Less than 8cm high in my case and the length doesn't matter. Tape it on one side across the jig and weigh down the other end. You need to keep that end down but it has to be able to move because as you make the grooves it kind of slightly scrunches up. Run the pointy stick up and down the grooves. Be careful not to make holes in the foil when pushing the stick!
P1070265.JPG

Trim the edges and hey presto :tongue-out3:
P1070267.JPG

The only downside is that the sheets tend to curl a bit because of the pressure making the grooves. Straightening them out is easy but it's a nuisance.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
lol...youve watched the same youtube vids that i have

certainly works well

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work Jim. Beats corrugated cardboard any day….

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’ve tried this in OO scale model railways. A bonus is you can replicate holes using a pin or simulate severely corroded panels by piercing with said pin closely together to make bigger holes or missing sections.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice sbs Jim.
You mentioned raiding the kitchen if you were thinking of kitchen foil I have and it tears if using a former method. ( the one with a two part mould pattern )
Does it work with this method please.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You mentioned raiding the kitchen if you were thinking of kitchen foil I have and it tears if using a former method. ( the one with a two part mould pattern )
Does it work with this method please.
The short answer John is "No". Ordinary kitchen foil is too thin. It doesn't hold it's shape, it is just too thin.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The short answer John is "No". Ordinary kitchen foil is too thin. It doesn't hold it's shape, it is just too thin.
I would think wine bottle foil, copper or pewter sheet would be best for this application.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
If you have any self-adhesive silver foil tape like heating engineers use it might work well joined back to back.
It made a good temporary flag for my Fusiliers
IMG_20220607_160625618.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It seems that food containers are the only real material due to their thickness to use. I search the web for a thickness like them in sheet form but found nothing.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It seems that food containers are the only real material due to their thickness to use. I search the web for a thickness like them in sheet form but found nothing.

Foil takeaway containers worked best for me.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you can’t get those 4D modelshop do both thin pewter and aluminium sheet that would be suitable.

Reactions: JR