Decal problem.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Afternoon guys.
Heeeeelp!!!!!!!
I am having an immense struggle to source some 1/48 'BLACK' decals for my Sea King. For over 10 years the RN flew with a dark sea grey livery sporting black writing on the sides of its aircraft. (1982 until I left in 1992). This was to assume a more tactical visualisation post the Falklands.
Trying to source suitable decals is proving difficult at best - nigh on impossible at worst.
All I can find is;- SK decals That setting is missing a fair bit.
Doug

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Doug,
I've stuck my nose in this thread a few times and noticed that there hasn't been any resolution.
Maybe I'm being thick and missing the point but couldn't you scan the 1:48 decals in an existing kit, change the colour in a photo-editing program and re-print on Mr Decal Paper?
John

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not quite what you are asking but are there any stencils available, allowing you to spray the markings in your choice of colour?

Or scan & print as John suggests, but onto masking paper so you can cut them out and make your own masks?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug,
I've stuck my nose in this thread a few times and noticed that there hasn't been any resolution.
Maybe I'm being thick and missing the point but couldn't you scan the 1:48 decals in an existing kit, change the colour in a photo-editing program and re-print on Mr Decal Paper?
John
John I thank you sincerely for your reply. I never even knew that you could do such a thing. You have given me a mission tonight. I may try downloading GIMP tonight which is a photo editing program but only after seeing if it can't be done with existing Apple or Epson software. (Less time on PS5 scheduled).
It would be really good if I can copy the decals from the kit as it has the PW for Prestwick and Rick, (@rickoshea52) has given me a pair of 819 NAS crests so that would really make my day if I can print my own black decals.
Mighty big thumbs up from me. :thumb2:
Doug

Andy. Thank you too, I'll have a look for the masking paper too. :thumb2:

Mike. I'll get back to you if the two options above don't work out. I did have an idea of using letraset but somehow the idea was lost in the fog of domestic chores!!!

Brilliant guys, I'll let you know how I get on. I have already seen Amazon do decal sheets for inkjet printers so it's just a case of choosing the right one!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
OK, question Re printing own decals.

Q1 As I primarily wish to print alpha numerical 'stuff' I assume it's possible to draft it on a blank sheet and then simply print off on waterslide decal paper?
Q2. Regards decal paper, clear of white or does it matter?
I guess there will some experimentation regards font and font size but as most of it will eventually covered in my version of oil contamination the font style won't be as much an issue as the size?
Doug

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
1) That's about it, but a test print on plain paper is a good idea before committing to the decal paper

2) Most home printers can't print white, so if you want any white in your design you'll have to use white decal paper. Otherwise clear is fine.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I can recommend Ventura decals. Letters and numbers specifically for British, Australian and NZ subjects, Second World War and Post War versions. Various sizes and fonts offered in 32nd, 48th and 72nd scales, including scaling data for use on another scale.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
1) That's about it, but a test print on plain paper is a good idea before committing to the decal paper

2) Most home printers can't print white, so if you want any white in your design you'll have to use white decal paper. Otherwise clear is fine.
If you need white, you can print a very light grey onto clear decal sheet.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
It seems, using my Image manipulation program, (GIMP), I have, is going to take me weeks to get around its workings. Way too complicated. Or I'm just overawed by its complexity!!
Methinks, designing my needs in Pages! (Macs version of Word). testing sizings and then printing off on my inkjet printer. I mention inkjet because that kicks up another problem. Being inkjet, the inks would be washed off when immersed in water!!!!

However!! Browsing as I have been I learn that the work round for that is to spray 3 coats of gloss varnish, layered in different directions solves that particular problem.

My current issue is now is when printing off how one keeps words together or do I have to print what I need as separate letters.
I.E. Royal Navy printed as one waterslide decal or will I have to print out 9 separate decals to produce the same two words?
Until I start dabbling with its production I'll find that out in the next few days I guess!!!
Any ideas or comments - please, feel free to add your own feelings comments.

Doug

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
GIMP is an easy program — if your baseline is Linux … For the average Mac user, a better idea if you see yourself needing a program like this more often, is to spend what you would on one to two kits, on Pixelmator instead, which works straight from the app store and is much easier to wrap your head around than GIMP is.

But if you just want to do text and simple graphic (like RAF roundels), then Pages is a very good alternative. Set it to layout mode on the Document settings and then just add shapes, text boxes, etc. as required.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sadly I have no advice to add but I wish you all the best and hope you get them printed asap.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
GIMP is an easy program — if your baseline is Linux … For the average Mac user, a better idea if you see yourself needing a program like this more often, is to spend what you would on one to two kits, on Pixelmator instead, which works straight from the app store and is much easier to wrap your head around than GIMP is.

But if you just want to do text and simple graphic (like RAF roundels), then Pages is a very good alternative. Set it to layout mode on the Document settings and then just add shapes, text boxes, etc. as required.
Thank you Jakko. It has been years since I last dabbled with GIMP and when I looked at it yesterday I realised exactly how much I had forgotten. (All of it).
However, your advice on Pages is duly noted and very grateful for the tips. Simple graphics are all I need so Pages it will be. (I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle - Keep It Simple - Stupid).
Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Sadly I have no advice to add but I wish you all the best and hope you get them printed asap.
Cheers Steve. Not in a rush. What I am learning about getting back into the hobby is; slow down and check once, twice and maybe even a third time to avoid monumental errors. Of which I've made a few all through rushing at a problem.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle - Keep It Simple - Stupid
That is exactly why I much prefer Pages and Numbers over their MS, LibreOffice etc. equivalents: they have the functionality I need but not all the bloat I don’t really, and they’re much more intuitive to use. (But at the same time, I know my way rather well around Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and to a lesser degree Photoshop :smiling3: )

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That is exactly why I much prefer Pages and Numbers over their MS, LibreOffice etc. equivalents: they have the functionality I need but not all the bloat I don’t really, and they’re much more intuitive to use. (But at the same time, I know my way rather well around Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and to a lesser degree Photoshop :smiling3: )
I used to use PS years ago. I think it was PS6. A very long time ago. A transition to Linux for a while moved me over to GIMP but due to no real interest in 'doctored' images I gave them both up. I had the time and the patience then to learn its functions. A photographic mag of the day, Amateur Photographer, produced some useful training video's/tutorials on PS which was very useful.
(GIMP will be removed from the SDD later tonight.) No point having unnecessary software taking up space!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I hate to see a man in pain....
PM me your address and I will put you a decal sheet in the mail on Monday....
Do not argue - already in the scanner.....
Really really appreciate the offer Mike. But I feel this is something I can master. Already ordered the decal sheets and have made a start in Pages! Going to play with sizes today as the weather is crepe again!!!
Going to beat this or - or. Whatever I do will include lots of naughty words of a nautical flavour.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Really really appreciate the offer Mike. But I feel this is something I can master. Already ordered the decal sheets and have made a start in Pages! Going to play with sizes today as the weather is crepe again!!!
Going to beat this or - or. Whatever I do will include lots of naughty words of a nautical flavour.
Make sure you are working in mm and not pixels...