Doug's 1/48 Airfix Sea King

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Cheers Rick!! I’ll have a look!!! I wonder how I missed that! More surgery when I find it. Still, a good exercise!! (And another lesson learned - check and double check)

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Cheers Rick!! I’ll have a look!!! I wonder how I missed that! More surgery when I find it. Still, a good exercise!! (And another lesson learned - check and double check)
Actually Doug, I wrote that comment then double checked and found I was thinking of the 1/72 kit. I didn’t delete that draft statement so when I replied to Andy it was still there. I’ve edited it now.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I had to re-read this thread a few times and YUP!!!....Doug is doing some fantastic scratchy and for the first time too!!! Wonderful work Sir and knowing very little about whoop whoops, I can only say, you are doing an excellent job on it!!! Most of all, you're having fun too...

I'm in on this and please keep it coming!!!...

Prost
Allen

PS, don't forget to clip the tube back up when you're done Buddy..................

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Actually Doug, I wrote that comment then double checked and found I was thinking of the 1/72 kit. I didn’t delete that draft statement so when I replied to Andy it was still there. I’ve edited it now.
Problem is!!! I have found the part!! F49!! Trouble now, well not really trouble, I now cannot find any reference to F49 in the destructions. Not even an image!!
Too late now anyway, it’s fitted!!
The scratchery was a good way to practice. Going to re- scratch a sonar foot brake using my newly acquired plastic sheet!!
Onwards and upwards!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
A maybe silly question: isn't the P tube a tad high?
Considering its name, shape and position, I came to the conclusion its function is to ease the crew bladders, heavily challenged by the vibrations and cold during long flights.
If I'm right, then or the users had to bend their head and raise on their feet to reach it or the tube is not fixed but detachable to be bent to the needed height...
If I'm wrong and the P tube has a different use, then this is a first class silly question :smiling6:
Hi Andrea, as Rick said, the 'P'tube is the correct height and help in place by an open ended clip. The length gave the user a wee bit of flexibility to move around a little. After struggling with your doings on your immersion suit you needed the extra length!!! It was the responsibility of the user to clean the thing after use. (Needless to say - it wasn't used too often).

On certain flights and depending on the passengers, we used to tell the pax it was the emergency comms device to talk to the pilots. Like the voice pipes of older ships. Amazing how many people fell for it!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
A very quick update.
Spent much time searching the instructions for a part that is on the sprue but no mention on the plans. Note to Mr Airfix - Buck up!!!
Did some painting, the Ron way. Better results today. Happy, I now have painted passenger seats and the internal cabin and cabin floors have been hairy brush painted. Still to humid, (and cold), for the AB.
However, the bit I am really chuffed about is the transducer. (The dangly bit that goes in the water). Attached the Eduard PE transducer face. Which in the real world is 4 strips of 13 small transducers, which sends out enough power to boil water when transmitting! (For those without 'O' Level sums, that 52 individual transducers.) Hopefully the PE version is better than the decal Airfix supply!!

Pic - Transducer.
IMG_1237.JPG

And now one in focus!!!!
IMG_1238.JPG

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Hi Andrea, as Rick said, the 'P'tube is the correct height and help in place by an open ended clip. The length gave the user a wee bit of flexibility to move around a little. After struggling with your doings on your immersion suit you needed the extra length!!! It was the responsibility of the user to clean the thing after use. (Needless to say - it wasn't used too often).

On certain flights and depending on the passengers, we used to tell the pax it was the emergency comms device to talk to the pilots. Like the voice pipes of older ships. Amazing how many people fell for it!
Thank you, Doug and Rick. I saw a P tube on a C130; I didn't examined it from close distance (guess why! ;)) but it looked as if it was fixed, that's why I had that doubt. :thumb2:
:tears-of-joy: I never trusted air crews when talking about weird on board objects... I have always known they have a peculiar sense of humor ;) and sometimes with a vengeance if the passenger deserved it!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
:tears-of-joy: I never trusted air crews when talking about weird on board objects... I have always known they have a peculiar sense of humor ;) and sometimes with a vengeance if the passenger deserved it!
Very sensible!!
On board, embarked with the Wasp, I was always using my Blue Peter skills to produce dummy weapon systems. (Just for our Soviet friends).
I was also known to manufacture a huge key which fixed into the on board flare receptacle. Pilot used to slowly start a very slow descent. I would then ask the passenger(s) in the back to wind the key to put some more tension in the elastic band that powered the engine. If they didn't wind the key the pilot would start a quicker descent. It was amazing seeing them wind it up before the aircraft went into a full Auto-rotation!!!
I also developed, (and sold the plans on board), a hand held bazooka made from baked bean tins and fired soft projectiles. Sadly, the skipper banned it after getting clocked with a sock wrapped in black masking tape!!! Was fun while it lasted!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I guess there's a thick dossier at GRU HQs in Moscow with your name on its cover, Doug! ;)
I offset that by wearing a Soviet fur lined hat sporting the Hammer and Sickle!!! The captain used to tell inspection staff I was getting inside the old Soviet mind!!! It did keep your head warm too!!!
I used to take enough pics of them being the ships int photographer!!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Progress is slow at the moment. Little dab of paint here, a dab there!!!!
Last night I sat down and decided to have a bash at the cockpit detail courtesy of Eduard!!!

Pic 1
Sorting out the troop seats that run fore -aft on the starboard side. Seats Oxford Blue, with light grey support struts.
Detailing on the pilots instrumentation and upper cockpit switching.
IMG_1241.JPG

Pic 2.
Another picture of the cockpit IP, centre & right.
Hole on the bottom of the SU, (submersible Unit) intentional!! That's the housing for the temperature sensor that feeds the bathythermograph in the back above the sonar display.
IMG_1242.JPG

Little steps!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
More little steps today!
Thought I'd have a go at some etch on the back seat equipment. (The Office). Amazing how much time was spent on it.
Pic1
First time I've encountered etch on top of etch!!
IMG_1243.JPG

Pic 2
Diferent angle with the sonar foot brake now added. Wonder how Mr Airfix missed that one? (Still to be painted black!!)
IMG_1244.JPG

Pic 3
Fitted one seat harness. I chopped off the attachment ring as that would be inside the inertia reel which has been added!!
IMG_1245.JPG

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
A maybe silly question: isn't the P tube a tad high?
Considering its name, shape and position, I came to the conclusion its function is to ease the crew bladders, heavily challenged by the vibrations and cold during long flights.
If I'm right, then or the users had to bend their head and raise on their feet to reach it or the tube is not fixed but detachable to be bent to the needed height...
If I'm wrong and the P tube has a different use, then this is a first class silly question :smiling6:
That is what the ex orange box was for....

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
You do realise that I am saving all of this build for when I eventually get my SK, this will save me hours of searching and looking, my analyist says i am getting lazy, don't you agree.
Brilliant work by the way.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
You do realise that I am saving all of this build for when I eventually get my SK, this will save me hours of searching and looking, my analyist says i am getting lazy, don't you agree.
At the pace I'm going Mike you'll probably overtake me. SWMBO has already announced tomorrow's job list!!!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Had to re-read that!!
Pic 2 in post 91, the drivers instrument panel. The upper sensor that sits centrally at the top of the console is called 'Orange Crop' effectively a spectrum analyser!! Covers all the radar bands. Gives/gave!! A 360 deg picture of who's looking at ya!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
The Senior Service provide a jump seat for those of us who a vertically challenged!
On a serious note Mike, any help with anything RN Sea King related just holler. I don't have notes or anything and I have a few images on the computer and loads in a box somewhere.

The etch is looking good:thumb2:
Thanks Mark, first time I have used etch in this format. Certainly brings out more detail than the decals do by the looks of it. I'm happy with it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work on those seats Doug. Time well spent .

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi all, still here!! and the Sea King hasn't flown its last sortie - yet!!!
Had a busy week or so what with one thing or another. Internet issues, furniture arriving and a mad dog!! Fingers crossed, the last of SWMBO's projects, (means I do all the work), has been completed, barring a visit to the skip!!
I have managed to grab a few minutes here and few there though to be fair!
I did some weathering on the seats and finally learned/understood the new settings on the H&S Ultra AB. (I thought the'I' setting would be a fine setting with 'III' being a broader spread!! - WRONG. It is in fact the opposite. Lesson learned - to my advantage!!
With my new AB settings hopefully etched into what is left of my brain cells. I attacked the interior of the King. Initially masking off the bottom two thirds and spraying the top a light grey. Then today, after a few days away from it, I masked off the top third and sprayed the lower sections a darker blue grey.
With luck, the modelling gods will be in my favour and I'll be able to get some more etch harness' on the seats soon.