First Build... Back To Basics!

A

Andy Mac

Well I've finally sorted out a space for modelling, and installed a worktop and made a paint rack.

Soooo, it's time I started to make a model, this will be the first one in about 33 years so I've decided to keep it basic so as to re-learn any old skills that I might of had back in the day.

I decided the first model should be an 1/72nd Airfix Chipmunk, my thoughts being that this should be a basic build with a basic paint job to match.

There's only 2 sprues of parts and 1 sprue of clear parts (2 choices of canopy), the typical Airfix instructions and some basic decals.

Upon inspection there'a a fair bit of flash (not too much of a problem), and I notice on the inside of one of the wings is the date of the mould... 1969! Boy, this is an old kit, and it shows, the canopy is like looking through the bottom of a jam jar, lol.

I'm now thinking that maybe I should have chosen one of the "new tooling" options from Airfix, but I've got it out so onward I plunge...

I'll give it a scrub up in some mildly soapy water to get rid of any nasties...

A

AlasdairGF

Nice methodical approach! I think you're right about having a crack at a 'new tool' - suggest you try one of the easy new tools next, perhaps one of the ones Airfix chose for their starter kit range. Aabout this time last year I started with the Spit Mk.II and then did the Messerchmitt 109E, they really go together well and would be a joy, while the paint jobs will be slightly more difficult though not by any means beyond you.

Have fun!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice little kit to start on not too many pieces straight forward colour scheme I think it's a good choice :smiling3:

New tool is great but then you miss out on the fun of filler and trimming flash :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looks like a great little kit and the Chipmunk is such a delightful simple plane. You have done what everybody, well most, folk do. Give it a good clean to get rid of any release agent. Great start.

Just one question: Does the wife know you have used her toothbrush?

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Richard
Hi Andy,

nice approach on your first model, but I don't no what you mean by New Toolo_O

But nevertheless I will follow you on this build.

Cheers Richi

M

MPal

Airfix have recently revamped several kits since they moved under the Hornby umbrella.

The moulds and machinery used to make the kits would be known as the tooling.

The new kits have been made using new tooling, so are known as new tool kits.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
New tool simply means they have got rid of the old injection moulds and had new ones re-tooled with better detail and tighter fit to stop things like flash and warping of parts so you get a better fit

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i remember building this back in the day when i was a nipper

its one of those kits i want to do again, i grew up under the flight path of RAF Newton so all i can remember is red and white Chippies and Bulldogs buzzing overhead,...happy days :D

O

omi1966

Good luck mate, just have fun I think everyone on here likes to go back to basics now and again, i know I do, just to get a kit finished, some of my best finishes are on the ones i just throw together.

Martin.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice Andy, i too remember doing this one as a kid and I still like this kit today, Ok its very basic but its got nice rivet detail and should go together quickly . cheers tony

W

Willi262

My Airfix Bf-109F has the year 1978 stamped inside one of the body frames. I wasn't sure at first...

A

Andy Mac

Thanks for the encouragement guys, some aspects of the kit are a little challenging due to the age of it, but I'll soldier on and see what I can achieve from it.

I'm not after perfect results at this early stage, especially from such an old tooled model, I just want to see what I'm capable of after all these years and if I have any chance of being able to get some spray out of my airbrush, lol.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
glad to see you have a spot for a work table and can get hands on,realy cannot add more than what the guys have said ,just enjoy

making your 1st kit in so long and dont be over hard on yourshelf if things go a bit side ways on you,

one think i have read about retooled kits but dose it say so on the box as newly tooled ?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think this is a good choice for a few reasons Andy. First, it is a simple build with a simply scheme which will look nice when completed. Secondly you have to deal with all those little old-Airfix niggles like flash, ill-fitting parts, lack of detail etc. When it comes to building a new-tool or modern kit it will be all the more easier to build and you will have some good basic skills to overcome little problems you encounter along the way. I've said it before, but these old kits can be very good for learning on, and as others have shown, can produce a great builds which rival anything the new kits can produce. Look forward to seeing the Chippie develop :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys, some aspects of the kit are a little challenging due to the age of it, but I'll soldier on and see what I can achieve from it.I'm not after perfect results at this early stage, especially from such an old tooled model, I just want to see what I'm capable of after all these years and if I have any chance of being able to get some spray out of my airbrush, lol.
I think you'll surprise yourself Andy , the challenges you face will only make the build sweeter when you overcome them and look back when its finished. Let battle commence! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
I'm another one who built this in their youth.Should be fun and quick to put together.Personally I like building old kits.Filling,sanding and rescribing detail is all part of the hobby for me.

A

Andy Mac

I gave the interior a coat of Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black, although there is no detail, not even any form of instrument panel. I thought about having a go at scratching something up, but with the canopy the way it is it won't get seen anyway.

With the seats being glued to the wings, the fuselage is glued together.

Next the wing tops are mated to the lower halves.

:smiling3: