First Build... Back To Basics!

First Name
Mike
I built this kit a couple of years ago and found it reasonably straightforward, but like you Andy I was disappointed with the canopy – very thick and distorted. In the end I just Future'd it and left it at that but next time I'll have a go at plunge-moulding a new one. At least I didn't feel obligated to super-detail the cockpit since I was pretty confident nothing of it would be visible through the canopy! Looking forward to your progress, Andy.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice progress Andy, looks like you are enjoying yourself.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Andy , must be nice to get to use your new paints and tool, hope you are enjoying yourshelf, and we all

must start some were again , keep up the good work

Moni

A

Andy Mac

A bit more progress...

I've filled in a few gaps, just the usual suspects.

And I decided to open up the air intake at the front of the cowl as it's closed off in the kit, I didn't really have suitable tools for this and made a bit of a pigs ear of it, but it'll have to

do for now.

All masked up and ready for some primer...

After a few coats of Vallejo 73.615 Surface Primer...

The primer went on easy enough, so started misting on the Vallejo 71.057 Black.

And after a few light coats things are looking a little, well, black!

At this point I realised that after the grey primer the plan was to mask off and spray the white bands on the wings and fuselage, but I've forgotten, DOH!

Well, I'll have to mask it off now and see if I can get the white bands to go over the black, perhaps if I go to the grey primer first, should be interesting...

:smiling3:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking real nice for your return to this great hobby look forward to seeing more of this build

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice job Andy. Good luck with the white bands. As for that intake, I have opened up these on old kits before. I use a small drill bit to open up the area one little bit at a time, then smooth around the edges with a modeller's round file. Finish off by wrapping some wet and dry paper around the file and rubbing down the surfaces. You can easily adjust the shape if you need to. Best done prior to painting though.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice going Andy, just tape up were you wont your bands to be, maybe use gray 1st to lighten it down then a couple off coats off white

look forward to see how she turns out

you are a brave man, to be useing your AB, well done , i have had my for 2 mths and only taken it out off ,the box and looked at it :oops:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great Andy, glad to see youve managed to preserve those lovely rivets! In the case of this aircraft , sanding them off and re-scribing would be far more inaccurate , the actual aircraft was covered in em!! , cheers tony

A

Andy Mac

Thanks guys.

And Moni, I spent the best part of 4 months waiting to use my airbrush (mainly because I didn't have anywhere to do any modelling, lol), it's best to just go for it, I spent 5 mins practicing on a bit of card to see what happened if the airbrush was too close or too far away, set my compressor for 20 psi and went for it, and to be honest I'm very pleased with the results so far. I thinned the Vallejo Primer 50/50 with thinners, and added about 10% thinners to the Vallejo Model Air Black, and they went on just fine in thin coats.

I've read that White can be tricky to spray and get a decent covering, but I can't find the thread where I read it.

Being new to airbrushing (this is my first attempt) I want to try and get a half decent effort.

I have "Vallejo Model Air 71.001 White" and "Xtracrylix XA1141 White" in my armoury, but what do you guys find is the most satisfactory White to airbrush?

I don't mind buying another brand of white if it's worth it to get a good finish. ;)

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking good Andy, all my models are on hold until I can get a larger work area (bigger shed). Then it will AB properly...hopefully :smiling3: It is daunting trying to figure out how to AB and the best distance, but as you say, you have to just go for it.

Si:smiling3:

A

Andy Mac

Cheers Si, good luck with the shed, I know I was really impatient waiting for my work area to be ready.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Andy thank you for the tips ,what size needle are you useing i think i have a .3 , i know i just need to bite the bullet and give it a try,sorry i cannot help with the white, for you

hope you get your new shed soon Si , and alls well with it

A

Andy Mac

\ said:
glad to see you've managed to preserve those lovely rivets! In the case of this aircraft , sanding them off and re-scribing would be far more inaccurate , the actual aircraft was covered in em!! , cheers tony
Yeah, you're right there Tony, they're a bit "agricultural" in size, but essential to the Chippy's character, plus I haven't got the tools to re-do the rivets at present, and every photo I've looked at of the full size Chipmunk the rivets stand out and you struggle to see the panel lines. Best left as they are for now I think.

\ said:
Hi Andy thank you for the tips ,what size needle are you useing i think i have a .3
Mine's a .5 in an Iwata Revolution CR Moni, I think the slightly bigger size needle makes it "less fussy" with paint thinning (if that's a correct term). You can still go quite fine with it (apparently) but I've yet to try fine airbrushing.

First Name
Dave
I've got the same airbrush and same size nozzle as you Andy.Works fine for me.Ive also got a 0.3 nozzle but rarely use it.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thanks guys , well my AB just came with the compressor i got so was a freebee, i do remember when asking before about them most said they use a 3.5,

but then it all comes down to what you feel good about using :confused:

First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, well you made a great comeback in this beautiful hobby of ours, it looks great so far.

As for the white stripes over black, you need to be carful not to build up the white paint to much, a light grey dusted over 1 or 2 times and then 2 or maybe even 3 times very thin white layers. Point of it is, that if the layers are to thick, you would get a ridge on your white paint going over to the black, you know what I mean?

Cheers Richi

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Lol, yeah, give it time though.... ;)
Ah yes, I wonder if I can just turn mine upside down, then it might look new as well. Anyway, yes new tool is great but, when you have kicked this one into shape, the satisfaction levels will be so much greater. Good luck.

A

Andy Mac

I've made a little more progress, not too much to do now.

I've added the white bands, I put a couple of coats of Klear on to seal the paint, and then masked off with some Tamiya Tape. I put a couple of fine coats of grey primer followed by about 4 fine coats of Vallejo Model Air White 71.001, and the white went on surprisingly well.

Then another coat of klear to seal it all in then on with the decalling.

:smiling3:

C

cryton 5

;) nice project looking clean it's them small detail's we all like too show give's realistic look nice one ! cry