Going big

T

T. van Vuuren

I was lucky to be given this 1/24 Heller (Airfix) JU 87 B2 kit yesterday. It might be old but the decals and the moldings actually still look very crisp, I understand that it builds into a very nice model straight out the box :smiling:

Theuns

View attachment 75890

models 097.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

The focal point of such a cracking kit has to be the huge canopy and the detail that you can cram into it. The fact that you were given it will make it all the more enjoyable to build as well!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Theuns, I built all the Airfix 1/24 kits many moons ago and in my opinion the Ju 87 was the best of the lot.

If there is a temperate option in the box and the colour call still shows a one colour green upper surface it's wrong !

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx guys,

Steve, yes it does show a France 1940 all gree, I did think it was wrong.

I will give you the sqn codes and maybe you could point mi into the rite didrection re the correct scheme.

I assume it would be a standard splinter camo?

Were there any airframe differences between the trop and the mainland ones?

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

The trop is A5#BH and the "green one" is T6#KL.

A little more info would be very welcome.

Thanx

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The trop is A5#BH and the "green one" is T6#KL.A little more info would be very welcome.

Thanx

Theuns
T6+KL would have been in the standard splinter scheme.

The markings would be for 3./St.G 2 at a guess. T6 is definitely StG 2 anyway :smiling3:

A5+BH was from 1./St.G 1. There is a picture in one of Smith's books of this aircraft in flight. Of interest is that it too is in the normal splinter scheme. The white individual aircraft letter is repeated on the upper surface of the wings. I have other pictures of aircraft from this unit which have had tropical camo applied (A5+HL and the wreck of A5+EL) so it must be possible that A5+BH also got repainted in a tropical scheme.

The two aircraft are actually a B-2 (T6+KL) and an R-2 (A5+BH) but externally they are so similar that you can build both from the kit. The R-2 had more internal fuel tanks and could carry under wing drop tanks.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Mike
That's a useful camo diagram Steve, which book is it from?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
That's a useful camo diagram Steve, which book is it from?
I scanned it years ago. Maybe Merrick or Ullmann ?

Edit. The same diagram is on p 84 of Eddie Creek's Ju 87 book too.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi theuns ... will keep a close eye on this one ...just finished a 1/48 version and it's a great looking aircraft once finished ..... cheers

lindsey

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This will be a cracking build Theuns, lucky chap.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Steve, I don't think I could ask for anything more exact as that! :-D

Hard or soft edges on the demarcation lines?

Lindsey, where you based? I am up in the "big smoke" JHB.

Theuns

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
\ said:
Thanx Steve, I don't think I could ask for anything more exact as that! :-DHard or soft edges on the demarcation lines?

Lindsey, where you based? I am up in the "big smoke" JHB.

Theuns
Hi Theuns .... same town .... right by northgate ... i end up paying the aviation shop and esswex regular visits ... cheers

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
In 1/48 it's going to be a hard. I've never heard it said that masks were used in the factory, rather that diagram I posted was used to mark out the scheme which was then sprayed. A good sprayer can achieve a very tight demarcation.

The contrast between RLMs 70 and 71 was very low. Most modellers make it more visible than it actually was. This makes it quite difficult to even see the demarcation in many black and white photographs, but here's a couple where it is visible.

I think that in the first image you can see where the outline of the pattern was sprayed before being filled.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Hi Theuns, I built all the Airfix 1/24 kits many moons ago and in my opinion the Ju 87 was the best of the lot.If there is a temperate option in the box and the colour call still shows a one colour green upper surface it's wrong !

Cheers

Steve
The 1/72 Airfix B-2 Stuka had this same error. The new tool version has details for the splinter scheme for the very same aircraft depicted in the old kit set.

As an aside and apologies for detracting temporarily from the original thread Theuns, but does anyone know if the Italian B-2/R-2 models had splinter or overall green schemes? I think they were splinter schemes as they may have been former Luftwaffe machines.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
does anyone know if the Italian B-2/R-2 models had splinter or overall green schemes? I think they were splinter schemes as they may have been former Luftwaffe machines.
That, Sir, is a very good question. I might have something on that.....somewhere :confused:. My gut reaction (or guess) would be the same as yours. The problem is exacerbated by just how hard it is to see the two colours in many B+W photos. I'm sure that is why Airfix, all those years ago, gave us the monotone scheme.

I also remember the debate raging a few years ago about the colour, or colours, applied to the Bf 109s built for export.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Joe, I'll PM you to avoid derailing Theuns' thread any further :smiling3:

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

No,please do continue ! I think we can all learn from this, besides it is not "my" tread, we all contribute ;)

Theuns