Going big

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
BTW, what is up with all the sheep?!
Nature's lawn mowers. Perfect for keeping the grass short on your airfield !

\ said:
No,please do continue ! I think we can all learn from this, besides it is not "my" tread, we all contribute ;)Theuns
Well, essentially in 1940/41 the Italians got a bunch of second hand B-2s and R-2s from the Germans. There were two orders, the first for 50 Ju 87s around June 1940 (not completed until July 1941), the second in February 1941 for another 50 (not completed until October 1942).

They asked for 50 Ds to replace these old aircraft, which were clapped out or lost, two years later (October 1942 I think, on completion of the previous order). Between 5th September 1940 and 19th October 1942 the Italian Ju 87s had sustained 61 combat losses.

This time they got 17 second hand or surplus aircraft from Luftflotte 2, 29 newly built aircraft and 9 from various other sources.

The new builds were pulled from current production so it is reasonable to assume that all the aircraft received by the Italians would have had a standard splinter scheme when delivered. It seems unlikely that a special exception would be made for just 29 aircraft. What happened subsequently is another question.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Steve, can I build an Italian plane with my kit? Might be an interesting idea, if I can get decals somewhere.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi Lindsey, I sent you a PM mate, check it out.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Steve, can I build an Italian plane with my kit? Might be an interesting idea, if I can get decals somewhere.Theuns
I've seen 'modifications' mentioned for the Italian aircraft but I don't know what was done. In photographs and profiles the Italian Ju 87s look externally just like their German counterparts, except for their markings obviously.

I can tell you some of the Italian units which used the Ju 87 but I don't really know anything about them. I don't know much about Italian aircraft and units at all :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
BTW, what is up with all the sheep?!
Theuns the photo shows french resistance sheep , attacking a german stuka , and forcing it to submit by tickling its feet , if you look you can see him smiling:D

T

T. van Vuuren

Ah yes. the oldest trick in the French resistans's book!

Theuns