H.M.S Warspite

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
What's the quality like ?
Not too bad really, the plastic is good quality and the detailing is okay for Airfix. The box is battered slightly and the contents bag has been opened to have a look at the pieces then it was boxed up and put away. To RC this you're looking at £80 so is way out of my price range.

Just checked and it is a series 10 and the catalogue number dates it to either 1977 or 1978, so not before 1976, my mistake. It is over 17'' long when made up so a fair size.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Not too bad really, the plastic is good quality and the detailing is okay for Airfix. The box is battered slightly and the contents bag has been opened to have a look at the pieces then it was boxed up and put away. To RC this you're looking at £80 so is way out of my price range.Just checked and it is a series 10 and the catalogue number dates it to either 1977 or 1978, so not before 1976, my mistake.

£80 can you buy the components separately ?

I reckon it's a classic :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
£80 can you buy the components separately ?I reckon it's a classic :smiling3:
That is separately, you need all those to get the thing to work, can be done as Dean's Marine have a you tube vid of the same model bombing around a pond.

I am thinking of getting shut as I probably won't make it up, dunno as it a new version is £25+, these versions go for anything from £20 upwards.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
That is separately, you need all those to get the thing to work, can be done as Dean's Marine have a you tube vid of the same model bombing around a pond.I am thinking of getting shut as I probably won't make it up, dunno as it a new version is £25+, these versions go for anything from £20 upwards.

Shame your selling it but stick it on evilbay you never know some modellers co for that classic look even if they never build them they collect them you might make a pretty penny on this :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Shame your selling it but stick it on evilbay you never know some modellers co for that classic look even if they never build them they collect them you might make a pretty penny on this :smiling3:
It is doing nothing in the stash,so can sit there a bit longer.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
It is doing nothing in the stash,so can sit there a bit longer.Si:smiling3:
Like most of us we build a stash of builds , I started about 18 months ago and I still have kits from then I don't know if I will ever get to build most of them but maybe my son will take up the mantle once he has kids of own :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks joe glad you like it it's much appreciated

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the Warspite looks superb. Multimedia kits like this are a real challenge to get right but the mixture of wood on the decks, PE for the detail and turned brass barrels looks absolutely stunning but they all have to be dealt with in thier own special way. Throw in some very carefull weathering and put it on a decent seascape and you have an amazing model. A real credit to you and a pleasure to share the building experience with you. I'm looking forward to the next one.

If you fancy a U-Boat I can highly recommend a Revell 1/72nd Type VII with a wooden deck set, some white metal figures and a PE set for the detail. Get some RC gear in it and really enjoy seeing it in a realistic setting!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I think the Warspite looks superb. Multimedia kits like this are a real challenge to get right but the mixture of wood on the decks, PE for the detail and turned brass barrels looks absolutely stunning but they all have to be dealt with in thier own special way. Throw in some very carefull weathering and put it on a decent seascape and you have an amazing model. A real credit to you and a pleasure to share the building experience with you. I'm looking forward to the next one.If you fancy a U-Boat I can highly recommend a Revell 1/72nd Type VII with a wooden deck set, some white metal figures and a PE set for the detail. Get some RC gear in it and really enjoy seeing it in a realistic setting!
Thank you bunkerbarge I have a 1/72 type VII but one with pe and a wooden deck wood be fantastic thanks for letting me know about that and with such a big kit you can put more detail into the weathering :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

It's always interesting to dig up old threads:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/revell-1-72nd-type-vii-u-boat.2410/

P

Polux

Wow!

That's what I call a great build!!

Lovely work Alan, and isn't a easy kit, that seems with all those small,small pieces......

So hope you are really pleased with it mate. ;)

Cheers

Polux

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Wow!That's what I call a great build!!

Lovely work Alan, and isn't a easy kit, that seems with all those small,small pieces......

So hope you are really pleased with it mate. ;)

Cheers

Polux
Thank you Polux to say I'm pleased is an overstatement if I'm being honest :smiling3: personally I think this is my best work todate

Again thank you for your comments :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Looks great Alan, hope mine turns out as good as this
Cheers graham I'm looking forward to seeing yours , I have trumpeters Queen Elizabeth and there is a bit of pe with it but not like this but I can get things like the wooden deck , Orelikons and 40mm pom poms and railings are easy to come by so I get them :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Cheers mate I appreciate it , I worked out that it's taken me three months to complete this but it was well worth it for the experience of pe :smiling3: Thanks again mate
Now you know how to do the PE, how about a 'how to' for the rest of us? There are some videos around on bending and making stuff like cranes and masts, but how do you bend and fit those long handrail sections? I tried with a section just a couple of inches long on a U-boat and couldn't even get close to fitting it.

Gern