Halfords Primer

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just trying to get a couple of hours in before the kids and grandkids arrive.
Have tried acrylic primer and didn't like it. So going to get some Halfords as seems a lot use it. However, is it the enamel primer or cellulose. If cellulose does acrylic paint take OK on it.
Happy Christmas to everyone.
Andy

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I use Hycoat from Azon this is a cellulose based primer and works ok. The other I use is the Mr Finishing Surface with their levveling thinner on a 50/50 mix. Got really tired of the acrylic primer and the cleanup, same with the paint and now turning back to enamels and lacquers.
Happy Christmas to you
Mike.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Andy

I have used the Halfords plastic primer a lot, very good. One bit of advice if that's ok.

I use to fill up a old glass jug with warm not hot water. Then put the can in, leave to warm the can and of course the paint. Give good shake and repeat, worked a treat!

I now use Mr surfacer 1500 thinned 50%, but no problem with Halfords.

By the way Andy, about to order 3 D stuff, looks superb but could spend a fortune lol.

That's it dinner in 10!!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
In the past I've used aerosol primer. I find the aerosol tends to flood if not very careful and is difficult to prime intricate areas with.
Like Mike I don't get on with acrylic primers, Stynylrez being the exception, and have moved over to MTP lacquer.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Hi Andy,

I use Halfords primer both etch and non etch on metals and plastic and have used acrylic, enamel and lacquer onto it with no issue at all. It's a great base particularly for items you want to be more durable such as wargaming figures or model trains etc.
I would echo what Jim says re flooding, be patient and slow as it very quickly goes wrong if you're impatient. If spraying outside be careful as wind can change and greatly affect coverage so the same distance away suddenly floods to detail areas.

ATB,

James

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Hi Andy

I have used the Halfords plastic primer a lot, very good. One bit of advice if that's ok.

I use to fill up a old glass jug with warm not hot water. Then put the can in, leave to warm the can and of course the paint. Give good shake and repeat, worked a treat!

I now use Mr surfacer 1500 thinned 50%, but no problem with Halfords.

By the way Andy, about to order 3 D stuff, looks superb but could spend a fortune lol.

That's it dinner in 10!!!
Going to try this with the warm water

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi guys, just about got rid eh humm, nearly all gone, will try and answer everyone but not got the hang of multi answers.
Bob: like the idea of the warm water, will be in the garage to spray, another reason i want to use rattle cans. Yes can spend a fortune, but the stuff is well worth it.
Mike: interesting, will try the Halfords, but bear in mind what you've said. Plus can gat the Halfords Wednesday. Yes I'm impatient. lol
Jim / James: as I say will be spraying in the garage then bringing things into the house to dry. The old adage 2 or 3 coats are better than 1.
I did try the Army acrylic primer, supposedly AB ready, damned stuff wouldn't go through the AB no matter how thinned it was. So decided to go with enamel.
Thanks everyone for the help. Hope you all had a good day and looking forward to a happy modelling new year.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
No, it would use less paint as you would be putting on more controlled, thinner coats, and drying time shouldn't be affected.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What I’ve never worked out is how you go about decanting paint from an aerosol can.

I’m sure it can be looked up online, but I’ve never actually bothered doing that ;)

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What I’ve never worked out is how you go about decanting paint from an aerosol can.

I’m sure it can be looked up online, but I’ve never actually bothered doing that ;)
I assume (oh you do do you) I assume you spray into a suitable container. Perhaps Mr Bowcat would come back to us both on that one. Please.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I used Halfords Plastic Primer for a long time. I've fairly recently switched to the Hycote Plastic Primer, mainly due to easier availability. In all honesty there's not much in it, though I think that I get a smoother initial finish with the Hycote. That might be in my imagination!
In any case, both worked fine with acrylic and enamel paints as well as lacquer based media like Alclad. Make sure you shake the can thoroughly, really thoroughly, and allow time before painting over the primed model. I always leave at least 12 hours to make sure that the primer has properly 'gone off', give it a once over with a very fine grit paper (2500 or greater) to get that glassy finish, and then spray whatever is needed.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I assume (oh you do do you) I assume you spray into a suitable container.
That’s what I’m picturing people doing too, but it always has me wondering how they do that without getting covered in spray coming back out of the container.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I used Halfords Plastic Primer for a long time. I've fairly recently switched to the Hycote Plastic Primer, mainly due to easier availability. In all honesty there's not much in it, though I think that I get a smoother initial finish with the Hycote. That might be in my imagination!

Halfords plastic primer, will get some tomorrow. Though won't be any sanding as its a tank interior.
That’s what I’m picturing people doing too, but it always has me wondering how they do that without getting covered in spray coming back out of the container.
Yep, with you all the way there. Really can't see spraying into a 60ml bottle. Humm, rewind, really can't see spraying paint into a 60ml bottle.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ok, so get a straw or a piece of shrink tubing, and fit it over the nozzle. Put the other end in a suitable container (I use old tamiya paint jars, cleaned obviously, then spray out as much as you want. Leave the lid off for a few hours so that the propellant can off gas, then you are good to go.
So, as simple as that. Thanks will give it a try.
Andy

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike

Jakko, it involves using a tube from a disposable drink sachet which is about the same size as the rim around the nozzle. The top of the jar is sealed off with tape and you then push the tube through a small hole in the tape and gently spray into the jar from the can. Then you let it bleed off the gas.
Only tried it once, spent the rest of the day wiping myself down as I forgot to hold the tube in place..... But there are plenty of tutorials on YT explaining the process.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
There's probably a simple answer but why use Halfords primer rather than a dedicated modelling primer. Is it better or cheaper?
MRP (lacquer) or Stynylrez (acrylic) are airbrush ready and work very well. Even if an airbrush isn't available there is Tamiya fine surface primer in aerosol which is very good.
I know many swear by Halfords but I just wondered.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
There's probably a simple answer but why use Halfords primer rather than a dedicated modelling primer. Is it better or cheaper?
MRP (lacquer) or Stynylrez (acrylic) are airbrush ready and work very well. Even if an airbrush isn't available there is Tamiya fine surface primer in aerosol which is very good.
I know many swear by Halfords but I just wondered.
Just a case of giving it a try. As you say many swear by, so why not. Yes there are many dedicated ones so will probably get round to trying them as well.