HASEGAWA SPITFIRE Mk VI 1/32 SCALE KIT Canopy

Hello i don't know if this is the right place to post this but i am just wondering if anyone has a full spare HASEGAWA SPITFIRE Mk VI 1/32 SCALE KIT canopy that they could sell me?

i think there is about three pieces i have recently purchased a hobby boss VB kit and the canopy is apparently the wrong shape or something.

Thank you

Rob

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Check which Spitfire you are building. The problem is only with the windscreen part. The Hobbyboss kit screen has the external armour which is quite obvious and many of the decal options in fact had the newer screen with internal armoured glass fitted.

I have the same problem with my Hobbyboss kit. I'm going to take a windscreen of an old, built, Hasegawa kit and see if it will fit.

There is a very good review of the tropical version, though much applies to other versions, here.

http://scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-things-aviation/132-135-scale/132-kit-reviews/1139-132-spitfire-mkvb-trop-from-hobbyboss

Cheers

Steve

Hello stona thanks for the reply the version i have is the tropical version i have ordered some after market decals for it but i think ill still have the external armour problem i have looked at a few auction sites to buy a hasagawa spitfire but it seems a waste just for the canopy thats why i was hoping someone had a spare one

cheers

Rob

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's the most serious "problem" with the kit. I expected to find a Spitfire windscreen amongst all the spare bits and pieces I've accumulated over the years but failed to do so.

I don't know how well the Hasegawa part will fit.

I haven't looked to see if anyone does a vac-form after market part yet. It might be worth looking into.

Cheers

Steve

i found this http://wwiimodeller.co.nz/tag/hph-models-resin-upgrade-set-for-the-hobbyboss-132-spitfire-mk-v/ but it works out too expensive to post to the uk

cheers

Rob

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Rob the costings of the HPH kit work out at around £20 + P&P

http://shop.hphmodels.cz/5000%7C.d.AP32006R.opravny-set-spitfire-mk-v-132-hobby-boss.html

Si:smiling3:

I nearly purchased the set but the postage is about the same price again as the parts it would work out about 42 euros delivered i would get one but i already have resin wheels the correction for the stabilizers and some exhausts as well as the Eduard Biged set and decals so it it would be alot just for the canopy its a pity i didn't see the correction set before i purchased the other bits and pieces and another pity that i couldn't purchase just the canopy.

cheers

Rob

i have just opened my spitfire to have a look on the clear part sprue the front canopy and its armour are separate could i just leave the armour off could some one explain to me what is wrong with the canopy on the hobbyboss spitfire?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If your windscreen does not have the armoured glass moulded onto the front of the windscreen, i.e. external armoured glass but has a more or less flat windscreen then it is okay for most of the decal options in the kit. I imagine that Hobbyboss have made a correction, unfortunately since I bought my kit ):

Nick Mayhew explains it well, with some photographs, in the review I linked to.

Edit: How many windscreens are in your kit? I'm pretty sure mine only had one (the wrong one). If you've got two, and a separate part for the internal armoured glass, it looks like Hobbyboss have issued a correction, particularly if the two are on separate sprues.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
i have just been reading this review http://scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-things-aviation/132-135-scale/132-kit-reviews/1139-132-spitfire-mkvb-trop-from-hobbyboss and mine is the same as in the review and he says it is wrong but i dont see how the canopy cannot be made to look like the right one

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't have my kit to hand, but I bought it shortly after it came out and I'm as certain as I can be that the windscreen in my kit has external armour which is an integral part of the windscreen moulding, that is it is in one part.

I have to agree that from the picture you posted, it looks as if you could fit the windscreen on that sprue, without adding the external armoured glass, to represent the correct internally armoured screen.

Cheers

Steve

the only thing is it is a different shape from the proper vb trop windscreen so even if you left the armour off it would look like the spitfire vb normal version spitfire with its armour left off as it looks like the tropical late version windscreen was a different shape and the windscreen in the kit would be right for an early tropical version and for the non tropical version of the VB so it looks like ill have to wait for a correction set or splash out on the one from czech republic

i have attatched two pictures from the review it really does show the big differences

cheers

Rob

View attachment 69430

View attachment 69431

C9SquadronLeaderJJLynchCommandingOfficerofNo249SquadronRAFSpitfireMarkVCIWMCM5096.jpg

C11IWMCH3757 (1).jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Shame. I'm going to do mine as the well known AN-V seen here.

I've got the same problem!

Cheers

Steve

I am quite surprised someone hasn't made a replacement vacuform canopy from what i gather the earlier VB Tropical used the external armour so you think hobbyboss would have picked up on that i wonder if anyone does decals for a earlier version i cant beleive i have spent double the price of the kit on after market just for the canopy to stop me

Does the normal spitfire VB have external armour? if it does is there anyway of converting the tropical version back to the normal one.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The external armour was a "rush job" and not the final solution. Once it got figured out the wind shield part of the canopy was build ab factory with the armoured panel inside the cockpit.

To use the Hobby Boss just go for some after market decals of any Early Vb trop. If you dont have to build a British one, I believe that The Aussies flew some of the early ones, with the external Armour. Some thing a bit different from the usual suspects.

Agree that it's a bit odd no one has offered a vac canopy. The after market was pretty quick to pick up on the tail planes...

Steve. I'll look forward to the patchwork spit...

Ian M

just another quick question if you all dont mind

most of the spitfire vb's builds (non tropical) i have seen had the external armour was that the case? (on the real ones)

I have just read that many mid to late b's had the modified armour i was jus wondering about converting it back to a non tropical version but it wouldnt really be worth it i might just go for the conversion or buy a hasagawa vi to see if i can get the canopy to fit because to me the conversion set would need a bit of modification anyway.

cheers

Rob

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can't find the date that the modification to the windscreen was introduced, but it wasn't a tropical/non tropical split. It was introduced sometime in the Mark V production.

Cheers

Steve

I cannot find any decals in 1/32 for an early spitfire vb trop so i can use the supplied canopy if anyone has any suggestions id appreciate it i have purchased an Xtradecal 1/32 Decals 32042 set but unless i can remedy the canopy i wont be able to use.

would the AB262 Aircraft off the Xtradecal X32041 have the external armour ?

Cheers

Rob

Last edited by a moderator: