HASEGAWA SPITFIRE Mk VI 1/32 SCALE KIT Canopy

i cant believe one or two little mistakes by hobby boss could cause so much hassle

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
When this internally armoured windscreen was fitted has been bugging me!

I've trawled through Morgan and Shacklady (Spitfire the History) and have found a reference to the Spitfire III windscreen and hood being fitted to earlier Marks. The drawing for the Mark III shows internal armoured glass so I'm guessing that this is the relevant windscreen. It was to be fitted from 26th April 1941. When it went on to production Mark Vs I still don't know. You'd also need to check where an aircraft was produced. Not all plants started modifications simultaneously.

At this point I give up :smiling3:

You are right, it's a load of grief which could easily have been solved by simply including both versions in the kit!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What we need is Edgar to drop by and put this in order.

Ian M

I know the money i spent on the kit and then all the extras for a extra £30 ish pounds i could have got the tamiya spitfire even then i probably would have got all the extras for that and i dont think the wife would have like that i am probably going to have to order the correction set at least then it will be a bit more accurate

cheers

Rob

I have been trawling the web and apparently the windscreen on the spitfires vb was upgraded to the internal armour in 1941 before the tropical vb's came in i might be wrong but thats what i have read and if that's the case then there will be no option for a tropical version with external armour so the only option is to fix the hobbyboss windscreen.

cheers

Rob

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I have been trawling the web and apparently the windscreen on the spitfires vb was upgraded to the internal armour in 1941 before the tropical vb's came in i might be wrong but thats what i have read and if that's the case then there will be no option for a tropical version with external armour so the only option is to fix the hobbyboss windscreen.cheers

Rob
That would fit in with what I posted above too. At the moment that could be an expensive fix.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Could this kit be a good base for a MkI or MkII...Hmm

Ian M

If i converted it to another mark would the BigEd Set and the other parts i bought be useless ? im not that up on spitfires i usually build Luftwaffe subjects.

And could someone tell me how i quote someone i have no idea

Thanks

Rob

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The hardest thing to alter is the wing. The kit has a B type wing. There is an excellent site here, I've linked to the explanation of the different wings.

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html

There were other slight differences between Marks or even within production of a Mark (as exemplified by the V). You really need to pick an aircraft and check what wing/canopy/intake/rudder etc it was fitted with. Alternatively you'll have to dig to find one to match those bits.

Cheers

Steve

I think ill push the kit to the bottom of the pile until someone brings out a correction canopy that doesn't need too much hacking and slicing at i was looking forward to building it after the little seafire i am doing at the minute but it is going to be a hassle

cheers

Rob

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Stick to the Luftwaffe.......I usually do. I'm certainly no expert on Spitfires! The Luftwaffe is easier :smiling3:

Steve

i have managed to sort my problem instead of buying the correction set i bought the standard HB Spitfire VB model instead because what i can gather most of them had the external armour and all the extras i bought will fit on the new kit and i can give the tropical version to my brother for christmas as by the time he builds it there probably will be a vacuform canopy

thank you all for your help

Rob