Help required on a paint product .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well said Jim, learned that the hard way in my wallet....
Hi Wibble , been there too many times .
Come to think of it I haven't tried any other primer paints other than the ones I mentioned for as long as I can remember so Tim's advice is spot on.

Cheers,
Wabe
Wabble . It is indeed, the grass always looks greener on the other hill.
Words said to me when I joined the army !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
All paint has its foibles though. You are better off staying with one or two brands and really learning how to use them. Changing brands to the latest shiny new kid on the block simply doesn’t help you grow as a painter. Once you really know how that brand works you will know what to look for to address the bits you are not happy with. :thumb2:
Very sound advice. Only thing is it does not help when the primer you have turned to for a good many years is suddenly victim of the cancel culture/EU rules/postal restrictions/Heath and safety/add pet hate here.

I was looking at the Mr. Surfacer (plus the 50 other similar products with confusion) .
So Mr. Surfacer and Mr.Color leveling thinners? Will that work? I want a primer that is safe for any paints and dries hard and smooth and can be sanded/flattened with out having to wait a week.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very sound advice. Only thing is it does not help when the primer you have turned to for a good many years is suddenly victim of the cancel culture/EU rules/postal restrictions/Heath and safety/add pet hate here.

I was looking at the Mr. Surfacer (plus the 50 other similar products with confusion) .
So Mr. Surfacer and Mr.Color leveling thinners? Will that work? I want a primer that is safe for any paints and dries hard and smooth and can be sanded/flattened with out having to wait a week.
Yes it will. Mr Surfacer primer 1000 diluted with MLT are my go to at the moment. Failing that, the Tamiya grey spray can is excellent as well, though a bit long winded to use in an airbrush. Decant it into a bottle, let it gas off the propellant, and dilute with MLT to taste and you will get similar results. Both are cellulose based primers so dry relatively quickly (I usually leave them overnight), are sandable when dry, and are impervious to any following paint.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Mr Surfacer has been my primer of choice since I first tried it. There are many types, allegedly the higher the number the finer it is but I've never found an appreciable difference between the 1000/1200/1500

Black Finishing 1500 is what I use 90% of the time as it has enough build for what I need, sticks well, and dries lovely and smooth with leveling thinner. Good luck finding it though :smiling5:

Mr Primer Surfacer is a slightly different animal which I'll use on mixed surfaces like metal or resin as it's adhesion and durability are even better. I can strip any paint or primer in my methylated spirits bath but Mr Primer Surfacer just won't budge!