Heng Long 1/16th tanks

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
I guess these came built so I can't do a lot about that but I thought after seeing some online I would give them a bit of a paint job.

The Challenger has sat idle for 2 years and needed power switches cleaning and I also found the right joy stock broken so this was unsoldered, disassembled, fixed and resoldered so now all working.
This is going to be done in a desert type camo scheme, probably make the view ports out of holographic film and probably try some weathering on this after.

As for the King Tiger I don't know as yet, pondering snow camo but I also like the beige desert base with red and green camo lines on them.

Hopefully they will look better than when they arrived.

IMG-20210819-WA0010.jpegIMG-20210822-WA0007.jpegIMG-20210822-WA0003.jpegIMG-20210822-WA0005.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope Bob see theses James, think he's going to build the StuG , but not a radio controlled version.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI James some nice 1/16 tanks there an R/C as well any working features ? as i had one in this size a few yrs ago as it was a bought one an the gun fired with the recoil an sound systems an i loved the turret turning groaning sound very realistic an had great fun drivein it over an assult coures up up's an downs but in the end the plastic tracks streched to much an they just went lossley over the main drive gear cogs so i stripped it all down an the motors out of the tank have been fitted in tiger for radar motors so they dint get wasted be nice to see more of yours
ATB chris

Reactions: JR

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
HI James some nice 1/16 tanks there an R/C as well any working features ? as i had one in this size a few yrs ago as it was a bought one an the gun fired with the recoil an sound systems an i loved the turret turning groaning sound very realistic an had great fun drivein it over an assult coures up up's an downs but in the end the plastic tracks streched to much an they just went lossley over the main drive gear cogs so i stripped it all down an the motors out of the tank have been fitted in tiger for radar motors so they dint get wasted be nice to see more of yours
ATB chris

Hi Chris,

They both have sound, smoke and fire BBs which is quite fun.
The challenger has plastic tracks and wheels, tiger has metal wheels and plastic tracks.
I am not sure what to do with them once done.

James

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris,

They both have sound, smoke and fire BBs which is quite fun.
The challenger has plastic tracks and wheels, tiger has metal wheels and plastic tracks.
I am not sure what to do with them once done.

James
WELL havnt you a mate to have a go with him on one tank an you on the other an have a mini battle as they are R/C or try drivein em close togeather an see if you can keep information an have fun as thats what we try an do with our ships on the pond but its a heck of a job if the wind is blowin the models about but still fun or sell them on ebay
chris

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
WELL havnt you a mate to have a go with him on one tank an you on the other an have a mini battle as they are R/C or try drivein em close togeather an see if you can keep information an have fun as thats what we try an do with our ships on the pond but its a heck of a job if the wind is blowin the models about but still fun or sell them on ebay
chris

I have almost no mates Chris, hence I'm always modelling or ripping apart motor bikes

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Missed this! 1/16 RC tank-I-poos, love em.

That is looking very, very nice James. Liking the colour and the pin detailing from doing the black coat, really sets it off. I have a collection and do 1/16 parts for our clubs village.

My Panzer kitty approves :smiling2:

Attachments

• P1012821.JPG
    P1012821.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 21

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Missed this! 1/16 RC tank-I-poos, love em.

That is looking very, very nice James. Liking the colour and the pin detailing from doing the black coat, really sets it off. I have a collection and do 1/16 parts for our clubs village.

My Panzer kitty approves :smiling2:

I like that!! Love the wire ropes on the sides and the added little details.
I need to paint my tracks, maybe just a dry brush with gunmetal and then a brown wash just to give depth.

Apart from that need to spray the squadron markings etc on.
I was really pleased with how it came out with the black base and then doing individual panels. Will likely give it a brown pin was in panel joins etc.

I have to source a MG for it as it broke off and I suspect the carpet monster ate it.

Looking forward to doing the king tiger, wondering whether to do it in white of the 3 colour scheme at present.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like that!! Love the wire ropes on the sides and the added little details.
I need to paint my tracks, maybe just a dry brush with gunmetal and then a brown wash just to give depth.

Apart from that need to spray the squadron markings etc on.
I was really pleased with how it came out with the black base and then doing individual panels. Will likely give it a brown pin was in panel joins etc.

I have to source a MG for it as it broke off and I suspect the carpet monster ate it.

Looking forward to doing the king tiger, wondering whether to do it in white of the 3 colour scheme at present.

Glad you like the T1. The colour scheme you have used has worked really well, as you say, a slight pin wash in the panel lines should make it pop. Know all about the carpet monster, or in my case, the workshed monster=I think the spiders eat the stuff.

The picture shows my KT scheme I did, I went for the dot ambush pattern, came out okay.

Attachments

• P1012744.JPG
    P1012744.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 20
  • P1012736.JPG
    P1012736.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 21

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Glad you like the T1. The colour scheme you have used has worked really well, as you say, a slight pin wash in the panel lines should make it pop. Know all about the carpet monster, or in my case, the workshed monster=I think the spiders eat the stuff.

The picture shows my KT scheme I did, I went for the dot ambush pattern, came out okay.

Wow that looks brilliant! Might have to steal some inspiration from that!
Are your tracks metal or plastic?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Wow that looks brilliant! Might have to steal some inspiration from that!
Are your tracks metal or plastic?

Not sure on this version, I also had the Porsche turret variant, one had metal the other plastic, both would have been painted though.

Attachments

• P1012738.JPG
    P1012738.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 15
  • P1011689_zpss3y9uoed.jpg
    P1011689_zpss3y9uoed.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P1011690_zpsyngrocv2.jpg
    P1011690_zpsyngrocv2.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 14
  • P1011697_zpsmmp6u7pa.jpg
    P1011697_zpsmmp6u7pa.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 14
  • P1011701_zps3bfuezhe (1).jpg
    P1011701_zps3bfuezhe (1).jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P1011702_zpsq9lvcczl.jpg
    P1011702_zpsq9lvcczl.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 16

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I was thinking I may have a MG for you, then I realised, it's a Chally...only modern I have is a Chinese ZTZ and too cold war T-72 and T90. Will see if any of the lads at the club has a spare when I go Sunday, if they have, I will let you know and send it you.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Not sure on this version, I also had the Porsche turret variant, one had metal the other plastic, both would have been painted though.

Finish you've got on those is just great! Real depth to the camouflage.
I am really looking forward to the KT painting but will finish the challenger 3
2 first.

I have some 1/35 KTs to do as well which I'm looking forward to.

What's the difference between the Porsche and Henschel turrets? I have both in smaller scale and they look very very similar.

Thanks on the MG front, that would be great!!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Finish you've got on those is just great! Real depth to the camouflage.
I am really looking forward to the KT painting but will finish the challenger 3
2 first.

I have some 1/35 KTs to do as well which I'm looking forward to.

What's the difference between the Porsche and Henschel turrets? I have both in smaller scale and they look very very similar.

Thanks on the MG front, that would be great!!

No worries on the MG, that's what us members do, if we can help out with a bit, then we do it-don't hold your breath but, it's worth a shot that one of the fellas in the tank group may have a spare.

The Porsche turret is rounded at the front, this is a early type and they realised that the front of the turret caused a shot trap-I.E incoming shells could be deflected downward causing a turret jam or damaging the turret ring. The later variant is the Henschel type and this replaced the Porsches' rounded part with a slab, flat front, your KT is the Porsche turret.

Glad you like the camo schemes, I wanted to try something different with the two tone coloured one, worked rather well.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
No worries on the MG, that's what us members do, if we can help out with a bit, then we do it-don't hold your breath but, it's worth a shot that one of the fellas in the tank group may have a spare.

The Porsche turret is rounded at the front, this is a early type and they realised that the front of the turret caused a shot trap-I.E incoming shells could be deflected downward causing a turret jam or damaging the turret ring. The later variant is the Henschel type and this replaced the Porsches' rounded part with a slab, flat front, your KT is the Porsche turret.

Glad you like the camo schemes, I wanted to try something different with the two tone coloured one, worked rather well.

Ahhh I see! Good to know these things, I want to go and see the KT at the tank museum at some stage as I've never made it down there as yet.

I am tempted by the scheme the Mauss appeared in, base of desert yellow and then red lead and green sines on it.

Need to get my act together and get some progress on the challenger doing. Tracks are top of my list as I think it will add depth as pain black doesn't work.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I paint tracks and then just run them to get wear, looks okay. If, like me, you run them then there is no point is overdoing it as you lose 50% in the first few runs. If, she is to be a shelf queen the more detail on the track looks better.

The Mauss never actually had a camo scheme applied as only two made and the only survivor is the lower hull of one in a Russian museum, the top is not real and a mock up. The Russians did the paint job.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So not a lot done to the Challenger but the KT is coming along. Really enjoyed painting it though I'd like the green to be darker. My plan is to spray white over it as I think I've seen some like this, as though it's had a quick snow camo job done on it.

Though now all my photos seem too large to upload .......

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
So not a lot done to the Challenger but the KT is coming along. Really enjoyed painting it though I'd like the green to be darker. My plan is to spray white over it as I think I've seen some like this, as though it's had a quick snow camo job done on it.

I would swap your Chally for the one I am attempting do at the moment...a 3D printed M41 155mm howitzer, the chassis is a bulldog, should be a Chaffee but, they don't do one. It will be my first and last, pain in the bum.

Anyway, James, I wouldn't worry about the colour too much, the paint used would fade with weathering. I am using Tamiya olive drab and has used a light olive drab to give that sort of effect. Saying that, you do not see many snow camo Challies, so might work rather well.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark

Website issue! Lower the picture size setting on your device and should be OK.