I have had it with dedicated primers!!!

F

Fenlander

Weird isn't it how some work for some but not others. I think the answer is that there isn't an answer o_O

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Weird isn't it how some work for some but not others. I think the answer is that there isn't an answer o_O
I reckon that's true. I think the oft repeated advice to find what works best for you is also the best advice.

When I switched to acrylics for a couple of years I managed to get Xtracrylix to work quite well but never got on with Vallejo, for most the opposite seemed to be the case :rolleyes:

In the end I just got hacked off with having to add retarders, flow enhancers etc to paints to get them to work even vaguely properly and gave up!

Cheers

Steve

S

Stevekir

I had terrible AB blocking about 1 year ago. Every single session, within a few seconds. Circumstances changed and I did not need to airbrush, until a few weeks ago. Following the discussion here about two weeks ago, the conclusion being that the problem is the paint not the AB, I did a small amount of test AB spraying by first thoroughly shaking a Vallejo bottle (with nut rattler) and poured it out on to a gutter (made from plastic card) before letting it enter the cup, and lo: a lump of paint appeared which I could remove from the gutter. Spraying occurred without trouble.

I always shake the paint. I always wipe the nozzle before returning the top. I always make a fettish of thoroughly cleaning the AB after every use (including a final bath in an ultrasonic cleaner). I always thin. Yet I got lumps EDIT: blockages. In fact, once, when cleaning a near empty bottle of Vallejo acrylic (to use again for some purpose), I used a bottle brush inside the bottle and in and asround the nozzle, a nail brush on the rim. Used hot water, soapy water as well as fresh. I then looked inside and found a strand of dried paint about 7 mm long!!! So, for me, its the damn paint. Variability in viscosity (for some reason), coagulation forming the lumps. The only way for me now is to watch the paint flowing in the gutter and catch any lumps. (That additive ("Flow Improver"?) has, I think, helped.)

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
P.s. Stainless Steel does rust, I've seen it, a lot. So think on before chucking a ball into your hard earned little pots of paint!
MIG and AKI produce steel balls specifically to add to pots as agitators. I got some from John.

S

Ssasho0

\ said:
If 95% alcohol is the best thinners for vallejo, how come their dedicated thinner is not this? I think a lot of folks buy the paint, buy the dedicated thinner etc? Tamiya thinner is ideal for their paint, are you saying vallejo's isn't?
I have never said that 95% alcohol is best for Valejo. I never thin with alcohol anything, I just clean the airbrush with it! What I am saying is that Valejo is not compatible at all with Tamiya/Mr Color thinners and for Valejo and similar paints, water should be used or the dedicated thinner! Sorry if my far from perfect English caused this misunderstanding.

F

Fenlander

I have found something about my H&S Ultra that is not the cause of this issue but does not help. I was watching a video of someone using it and I could clearly hear the air coming through on the video. Now, I know that some sounds do appear louder when on video but I remember when I got mine thinking how quiet it was.

Compared to the 'fire extinguisher' sound of the new budget airbrush, my Ultra is like a baby sleeping. So, I had a bit of a play about with it last night and I don't think there is enough air getting through. I have adjusted the valve under the trigger a bit which has made a distinct difference but I think there may be paint blockage inside the brush so the body is having an IPA bath tonight and I think a full seal set needs ordering.

The small white seal in the air valve is 'crimped' but that one does not affect air in, it is the seal just below the trigger to stop air going into the rear body which it doesn't.

This could explain why it won't spray anything thicker than water lol.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I have never said that 95% alcohol is best for Valejo. I never thin with alcohol anything, I just clean the airbrush with it! What I am saying is that Valejo is not compatible at all with Tamiya/Mr Color thinners and for Valejo and similar paints, water should be used or the dedicated thinner! Sorry if my far from perfect English caused this misunderstanding.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you!

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I had terrible AB blocking about 1 year ago. Every single session, within a few seconds. Circumstances changed and I did not need to airbrush, until a few weeks ago. Following ......
I forgot to mention that now I use a spray can whenever possible: Halford's spray primer, Tamiya spray gloss lacquer, etc. Apart from avoiding possible remaining AB problems, there is no cleaning involved.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
All this is fascinating graham and everyone seems to be having the same problems with the eye dropper type acrylics. I must admit that i too used to almost exclusively use tamiya acrylics and never had a single problem spraying them. Brushing them was a different matter though so i started to use games workshop and the newly available vallejo for this. I was amazed at the range of colours vallejo did , compared to the fairly small range tamiya do so gradually built up a big stock of vallejo and started spraying thrse too . I experienced ( still do) the blocking , splattering , varying viscosity problems most other people have mentioned and must agree its likely a paint problem rather than a thinning or airbrush problem . Im grateful to you graham for making me re appraise tamiyas paints , they have always worked beautifully for me and maybe its time i started using them more again , cheers tony

J

John Rixon

\ said:
All this is fascinating graham and everyone seems to be having the same problems with the eye dropper type acrylics. I must admit that i too used to almost exclusively use tamiya acrylics and never had a single problem spraying them. Brushing them was a different matter though so i started to use games workshop and the newly available vallejo for this. I was amazed at the range of colours vallejo did , compared to the fairly small range tamiya do so gradually built up a big stock of vallejo and started spraying thrse too . I experienced ( still do) the blocking , splattering , varying viscosity problems most other people have mentioned and must agree its likely a paint problem rather than a thinning or airbrush problem . Im grateful to you graham for making me re appraise tamiyas paints , they have always worked beautifully for me and maybe its time i started using them more again , cheers tony
Totally agree, I started off with them, then felt a need to go towards what everyone else was recommending. And I still love them for fine detail brushwork, so they'll always have a place on my shelves!

Last edited: