I see no ships....

D

deakon

hi all..im Deakon...usually im into everything else except ships and cars..

but ive recently been discharged from hospital and as part of my convalescence. i decided to build revells 1:146 HMS Victory...

ive completed the build now its ready for undercoat..ive got a few pics to post..so once ive found the USB cable ill post some....this may sound a little strange for a newbie to nautical modells especially large sailing ships..but im really looking forwards to rigging her!...no im not insane.. just slightly strange [according to my wife]..please be kind ..as im left handed and i smashed up my left side in a motorcycle accident in may...so if it looks like its been thrown together by a class of hyperactive three year olds ..its because im not quite ambidexterous........YET...

cheers all........D

IMAG0005-1.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Deakon and a very warm welcome to the forum. I have to say taking on such a model as a first ship kit is quite a leap of faith but I am sure that if you finish it you will get tremendous amounts of satisfaction out of it.

Obviously with the major challenge of loosing your left side taking on such a project will help you develop the right side but whatever you do don't knock your efforts. They will almost certainly be better than someone's with full faculties but the point is that you are making it for your own satisfaction. I can't wait to see the pictures and hope that you become a regular contributor.

Unfortunately I have to disagree on one of your points though, Gods own Country is, always has been and always will be.....Yorkshire!!!

By the way there are a few motorcyclists amongst us here, including me, so I am sure that your story will hit home hard. I hope you will eventually fully recover but modelling will provide you with many hours of enjoyment and enable you to get to meet all the people on here!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Deakon,

Welcome to the forum, we are really glad to have you here. I am sure you will find the people here to be some of the nicest people in the world.

I came to this site from www.cardmodels.net which is a forum dedicated to Card or Paper models. I still visit both sites and both sites have great people. Anyway, I dont happen to know anyplace on the internet that you can download a plastic model ship, However, I do know several places where you can download cardmodels of ships, here is one place : www.digitalnavy.com/html/downloads/html here you will find models that you print out on your own comnputer onto "card stock" (heavier than reg. paper), cut out and glue together like you would a plastic model. See photos below of some of the free downloads:

ambread1tmb.jpg

dread1web.jpg

Admiral5.jpg

v108300.jpg

Here is what I like to call the "Ultimate Modern Naval Ship Download site", http://home.kimo.com.tw/yukiyuji/downl1.htm Here you will find guided missile cruisers, destroyers and even a cardmodel of the USS NIMITZ Aircraft carrier, complete with aircraft models. See photos:

DSCF0026.JPG

DSCN0620.JPG

slava.JPG

DSCN0816.JPG

DSCN0810a.JPG

Anyway, each model seen above is made from 100% paper printed on your home computer. I have links to other cardmodel ships so if you like them and want more, just hollar.

Again, welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here,

Greg

K

killick

..as im left handed and i smashed up my left side in a motorcycle accident in may...so if it looks like its been thrown together by a class of hyperactive three year olds ..its because im not quite ambidexterous........YET...cheers all........D
Wow--that model looks better than the first sailing ship I ever built! And it sure wasn't anything like The Victory ... As I recollect it was some sort of Pirate Ship. Don't knock your work: you'll get better at modelling and hopefully you'll get better from your accident...!!

I also used to ride Motorcycles. A lot. And, welcome to the Forum: you don't have to be "insane" to get into this hobby but it doesn't hurt to be a little "off bubble"....!

Paul-from-Canada

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Deakon,firstly a big welcome here to the fastest growing scale models forum on the internet,the great thing here is that we have literally all walks of life and a huge variety of models between us,I take my hat off to you sir for what you are doing here with your restrictions,it sure is the best form of therapy in the world to make things with your own hands,you have successfully tackled something that many others would shy away from,well done and stick at it,she will look splendid once painted up.

M

moonraker

hi deakon nice model i hope you recover soon mate keep on modelling is the best therepy in the world

moonraker

D

deakon

ok ok ok ....ive just finished laying on the undercoat..and so far all is well.

i notice from the idiot guide .that the lower hull [under the waterline] is copper..has anyone got any experience of airbrushing metallics?..i am thinking of handbrushing..! airbrushes are still quite new to me..[believe it or not]..and there is quite a large area to cover..i envisage this as a display model ..so demarcation lines..and the proper look are important..

any comments appreciated...D....

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Deakon,

Have you ever thought about "gold leafing"? You can buy the gold leaf here in the USA for about $10 (US) and then you could hit it with some dullcoate or other flat laquer, thus giving you a copper look. And if you wanted to add some oxidation to it, (green is the color copper oxidizes), then you could hit it with the airbrush.

just an idea, have a good day,

Greg

D

deakon

yeah man like .....youre' drunk right!.. gold leaf..jings man .im'scottish...!

B

Bunkerbarge

The old Humbrol Copper paint went on my old Airfix Victory very nicely and when I gently rubbed it up with a cloth the plate and rivet detail came to life very effectively.

The Tamiya acrylic copper is good stuff as well. You can paint them or spray them as you would any other paint. Just ensure that it is very well mixed and keep it mixed to ensure the metallic particles do not settle out.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Deakon,

Well, you know how us rich "Mericans" are. But there is a model at the hobby shop I frequent of a ship, it may be the victory, but it was gold leafed using this "gold leaf" I am taslking about.

Like I said, you get a bag of the stuff for like $10 (US), apply a tacky spray of some sort to the item to be leafed, apply the leafing with tweezers and then apply a sealant.

The one at the hobby shop looks like real metal, but I reckon thats cause it is "plated".

I go back to the Dr.'s office tomorrow and will be going to the hobby shop I will try to get a photo.

Have a good day,

Greg

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Deacon,

Hope you make a speedy recovery, another fine model too and yet another one I have built many years ago...we seem to have something in common with our choice of models.

When I did mine I used thinned Copper paint from the Humbrol range for the lower hull and it came out fine...not really tried airbrushing metallics but there is no reason why it should not work and will probably give a very nice even finish too.

Regards.......Mark

D

deakon

nice one GW ....id like to see a pic if possible..as for my quandry..i think ill go with handbrushing..in enamel..its' the medium im most familliar with..and i think ill tackle it last after laying down the rest of the hull colours...

thanks.all

D

deakon

hey ho...here are a couple o piccies of Victory .undercoated and ready for basecoats...should be able to get cracking day after next..once the undercoat has cured...

IMAG0004-6.jpg

IMAG0003-6.jpg

IMAG0002-4.jpg

IMAG0001-1.jpg

N

new to trains

i love the paint brush holder, - its good stuff that 'leapfrog' - the best of the 'classic malts'

nice model too !

D

deakon

ahhhh yes ..the laughingfrog..one of my favourites..i see you are also a man of exquisite tastes...

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The base coat has really pulled things together,really look forward to seeing some colour added.

Pringles crisp boxes also make excellent paintbrush holders,drop a few coins into the bottom to make them stable on the bench.

B

Bunkerbarge

I prefer a nice drop of Rum myself, goes with the job really. You can't beat a 12 year old Bajan Rum, on its own.

I've actually got two large glass sweet jars, one with dried apricots and the other with prunes, which have been soaking in Bajan Rum since 1990. One day I'll make a puree with them for pouring over ice cream.