I see no ships....

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Bring them along to Cosford Richard,we will polish them off !!

I prefer a nice drop of Rum myself, goes with the job really. You can't beat a 12 year old Bajan Rum, on its own.I've actually got two large glass sweet jars, one with dried apricots and the other with prunes, which have been soaking in Bajan Rum since 1990. One day I'll make a puree with them for pouring over ice cream.

B

Bunkerbarge

The Victory model reminds me of the Airfix one I did many years ago and the second attempt that has been in the attic for about the last 12 years!

The thing that put me off was the over excessive plank lines on the hull and the fact that the bands of buff colour do not follow these lines. Painting accurately was going to be very difficult with having to mask at an angle arcorss the plank detail.

The trouble is when you look at the real ship the planks are actually quite flush so the detail on the Airfix and the revel kits are a bit over the top. One day I might feel brave enought to tackle it, after I retire!!!

Have a look at the pictures of the real Victory in the gallery for some colour scheme ideas.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

Well, I fell down on the job, I got up this am to go to the dr's office and drove off withoiut my camera to take a pic of the gold leafed ship, but....I will try again next week. The camera was just the last thing on my mind at 8:00 am this morning.

Have a good day,

Greg

N

Nigel.D

Richard the only kit to buy of the Victory is the Heller 1/100 scale 2000 odd parts and builds to a museum quality replica ! Ones on ebay now for£64.00

D

deakon

ive got downloads from the HMS Victory..website..i think the hull planking was knocked out line..so to speak..when she was refitted back in 18?? when they fitted the copper-plates to the lower hull? im sure i read somewhere recently.that the paint work doesent follow the planking..per se..as is prevelant in most kits..i may be wrong..so a little more research is in order before i commit a humble opinion on this matter......Ahem...

please send some of those Rum soaked preserves...ive gotta freezer full of ice cream begging to be smothered in the stuff..........

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

You can see from these shots just how flush the hull surface is and how the buff lines generally follow the plank lines.

On the Airfix kit the plank detail definately do not follow the correct lines. Maybe the Revell kit is better but I notice the detail is once again quite deep.

As you say something to investigate. There is loads of info and some really good books available. To me though a walk around the real thing is an amazing experience and to soak up the atmosphere is quite something. It still amazes me that it is only 200 years old yet it seems like it is from an entirely differrent age.

View attachment 14644

View attachment 14645

15-04-05-19HMSVictory7.jpg

15-04-05-20HMSVictory8.jpg

D

deakon

Progress on the Victory so far...most of the top deck base colours laid down.

SSsssssome-body.......KkkiiiiiiilllLL.......MMmmeeeeeeee....

IMAG0003-7.jpg

IMAG0002-5.jpg

IMAG0001-2.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Marty,you are making a great job here,well done and I can also see that you are enjoying your modelling.

B

Bunkerbarge

This reminds me of how much I enjoyed making the Airfix one many years ago.

I think the Victory is a great ship to build and a very satisfying showpeice when completed.

This is coming on really nicely Marty and I am looking forward to seeing how you decide to tackle the hull.

By the way love the stand!!

D

deakon

victory progress...God do i ever hate painting yellow..if i ever have to paint yellow again itll be too soon and it aint over yet...

IMAG0002-7.jpg
IMAG0002-7.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Marty at least you have the white undercoat,yellow can be a difficult colour needing lots of build up coats,looking really great,stick at it.

R

rjwood_uk

was there not an issue we discussed about the yellow they told you to use in the kit a while back? and there is a company that specially make paints for the old ships?

lovely model so far there mate. that model is on my long wish list so this is a great thread to watch!

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard there is a company that produces a speciallist range of paints for period ships.

Jotika Admiralty paints, supplied through Caldercraft, were discussed in a thread in February however I suspect that Deakon isn't going to thank us for suggesting an alternative colour scheme after he has just painted his ship!!

R

rjwood_uk

oh no i wasnt saying that Richard, i think it looks brilliant as it is!

and Deakon i must say your use of bulldog clips is totaly and uterly amazing. I dont think i would ever have thought of that!! its amazing what a modeler can make use of out of simple house-hold items.

will have to remember that one Deakon.Thanks!

D

deakon

nggggggggnnnnnnnn bites knuckle.. swipes chin in your general direction..

only kidding...im keeping to the guide..this is a test piece as far as im concerned..to see what i can and cant do.. due to my injuries..so im not too bothered about super accurate colours. or whatever..im trying to the best of my current ability..which is difficult enough..the muscles in my arm, are regaining some strength so my hand isnt shaking so much ..still im painting her by hand with a no2 sable brush and im pretty much ok with the results so far..and its great practice

IMAG0001-4.jpg

D

deakon

putting Victory on hold for the moment...ive got other things that require my attention.and i must admit to becomming a little frustrated, with the way the painting is progressing...almost a whole 14ml of yellow so far..it almost got stomped into the carpet yesterday...so ive put it up on the shelf out of harms way.....ill return to it soon as ive calmed down a bit.....D.....