Ian M's Mitsubishi F1M2 Zero PETE. Hasegawa 1/48

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As Luck would have it this GB collided midi-air with a plan I had to build a 1/48 scale model of the spotter planes on the Battleship Yamato. So here is the kit that will be on the receiving end of my knippers !
20230626_210530.jpg
Not sure that the decals are the right ones...For the Yamato that is...
20230626_210631.jpg
The destructions are simple and clear 'old fashioned' Black and white fold out sheet.
20230626_210737.jpg
20230626_210728.jpg
Here's the bits you want to see! The Plastic:-
20230626_210803.jpg20230626_210934.jpg20230626_210946.jpg20230626_211004.jpg
It even has a beaching trolley! Yeah!
20230626_211020.jpg20230626_211049.jpg
My first serious venture into Japanese aircraft. The first was the obligatory Airfix Zero dive bomber at age 10. and a Huge flying boat a few years later. Mary? it was big and I ran out of paint. Twice.
I will endeavour to do a better job this time. lol.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Different! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

ATB.

Andrew

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Interesting subject: I do like the Japanese flying boats and float planes. I shall enjoy watching this come together.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh nice Ian :cool:,
I do like a float plane....and unless I'm mistaken,the only one in this GB,
This is going to be fun to watch :thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
OOOO!!! A floaty wing thingy Boss!!! Looks like Hasegawa has a few kits in this GB. What are you going to use for the rigging Ian???

Uh, sorry, I didn't mean to shoot the Mojo down with the 'R' word, Sir.......

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wait! What? it has rigging. Oh crop!

I will have to look into that a bit more but I have loads of that elastic stuff used in ships and airyplanes.
If its heavy gauge then might be stretched sprue or even wire!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I knew it wouldn't be a prob for an old pro like you, Ian......Now sing after me, "I am the Rigman, I Built a Walrus.......Coo, Coo, Ca Choo!!!"...........

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice Ian , always liked the look of these . Not a lot of rigging either , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps,
Nice choice Ian , always liked the look of these . Not a lot of rigging either , cheers tony
Found out that a good few parts can be substituted with PE but that has to be bought as an option. Typical Hawegase I have heard. Pity you can't get them most of it is in the pit so I'm a bit 'meh' about it. Was ticked me off was the rigging wires with the end covers are a part of the PE and No optional plastic part. Bummer.
Any how. Plastic has been cut and glueing has occurred.

20230701_121123.jpg
Started with something large as simple. But still only saw by chance the ADD 20g weight.
20230701_121104.jpg
Bit of the nicely detailed and soon impossible to see cockpits. Mostly one colour so quicker th build up, paint, touch in the other colours and assemble çompletly.
20230701_121008.jpg
Need to sort the seams on the floats before painting those...

Comments welcome.
Oh Bismark is shelved for a while...

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers chaps,

Found out that a good few parts can be substituted with PE but that has to be bought as an option. Typical Hawegase I have heard. Pity you can't get them most of it is in the pit so I'm a bit 'meh' about it. Was ticked me off was the rigging wires with the end covers are a part of the PE and No optional plastic part. Bummer.

View attachment 485185
Started with something large as simple. But still only saw by chance the ADD 20g weight.
View attachment 485184
Bit of the nicely detailed and soon impossible to see cockpits. Mostly one colour so quicker th build up, paint, touch in the other colours and assemble çompletly.
View attachment 485183

Comments welcome.
Certainly does look nicely detailed there Ian.A couple of questions if you don't mind,(probably dumb ones!!:nerd:)....
Firstly, what's provided for the ballast,if anything? ..... And...
Once finished,how is it displayed...due to having the single,large,float in the centre, not just balancing on that is it?:thinking:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Certainly does look nicely detailed there Ian.A couple of questions if you don't mind,(probably dumb ones!!:nerd:)....
Firstly, what's provided for the ballast,if anything? ..... And...
Once finished,how is it displayed...due to having the single,large,float in the centre, not just balancing on that is it?:thinking:
Only dumb if you don't ask them Andy.
There is no ballast provided just tells you to use 20gram. I had a old 3/8 inch brass bolt that tiped 25gram and just fitted. I have a collection of unusable fishing weights I normally use as I used to get loads of them just don't use the lead weights with CA glue say the wise.
As for a stand...the kit includes a beaching trolley so it can stand properly.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Meanwhile due to pouring rain! (Yeah real rain, the first for almost 6 weeks). I got some paint on the cockpit
20230702_140235.jpg

20230702_140432.jpg
An odd way to do the cockpit, in two halves, made it fiddly to put it together and in place, but got it there.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cheers chaps,

View attachment 485185
View attachment 485184
View attachment 485183

Comments welcome.

Looks good Ian......more importantly, good to see I'm not alone in hoarding used bamboo BBQ skewers!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Meanwhile due to pouring rain! (Yeah real rain, the first for almost 6 weeks). I got some paint on the cockpit
View attachment 485262

View attachment 485263
An odd way to do the cockpit, in two halves, made it fiddly to put it together and in place, but got it there.

That's coming on very nicely Ian. A nicely detailed cockpit!

ATB

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good Ian......more importantly, good to see I'm not alone in hoarding used bamboo BBQ skewers!
Lol. I bought them for just the hobby, along with two packs of the thin round bamboo skewers.
And thanks.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lol. I bought them for just the hobby, along with two packs of the thin round bamboo skewers.
And thanks.

LOL!!! My wife despairs at me......every BBQ skewer possible get's recycled for the hobby!