Ideas welcomed !

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Chaps,
I`m considering getting a certain kit from Evil Bay,however,before i decide whether to or not,i`d like some advice please........
Does anyone know of a decent U.S. Howitzer crew set,(Vietnam era),in 1/35th.... apart from the Academy set,(which seems to be impossible to get now!),
Any thoughts would be more than welcomed!:thumb2:
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It don`t matter now..........
I couldn`t resist and bought one anyway!!:dizzy:......
52 minutes between first post & purchase! No-one could call you indecisive - I do hope that a much superior figure set, at half the price, isn't referenced....................
Dave :smiling:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ha,no need to worry a
52 minutes between first post & purchase! No-one could call you indecisive - I do hope that a much superior figure set, at half the price, isn't referenced....................
Dave :smiling:
Ha,no need to worry about that Dave,
It was the actual Howitzer that I bought..... Still haven't found any crew for it yet,as I said,that academy set is impossible to find!! ;)
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Academy figures are nothing to write home about anyway. They tend to be on the small and thin side (probably closer to 1:40 scale than 1:35) and much of their equipment kind of resembles the real thing but not if you actually compare it to photos.

That said, I don’t know any 1:35 scale American artillery crews suitable for Vietnam. I suppose you’ll have to convert some, for which your best starting point would probably be lightly equipped infantry, because artillery crews in Vietnam tended to wear little beyond jacket, trousers, combat boots and perhaps some headgear and/or a flak vest. You can also go for bare-chested figures, as long as they’re wearing the right trousers and boots, which expands your options because US Army jungle fatigue trousers are pretty much the same cut as the later BDU trousers of the 1970s–2000s.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Academy figures are nothing to write home about anyway. They tend to be on the small and thin side (probably closer to 1:40 scale than 1:35) and much of their equipment kind of resembles the real thing but not if you actually compare it to photos.

That said, I don’t know any 1:35 scale American artillery crews suitable for Vietnam. I suppose you’ll have to convert some, for which your best starting point would probably be lightly equipped infantry, because artillery crews in Vietnam tended to wear little beyond jacket, trousers, combat boots and perhaps some headgear and/or a flak vest. You can also go for bare-chested figures, as long as they’re wearing the right trousers and boots, which expands your options because US Army jungle fatigue trousers are pretty much the same cut as the later BDU trousers of the 1970s–2000s.
Hi Jakko,Hope you`re well :thumb2:,
Thanks for the info,I`ve not done any Academy figures before,so that`s worth knowing:smiling:
I`m pretty sure that i can "Adapt" some figures to suit,(AS long as it`s not TOO complicated!!),,i shall seek out some kits like you mentioned.
Andy.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Typically so busy pants were worn to have something to wipe your sweaty hands on.
View attachment 432407
View attachment 432408
So young.
Hello Paul,
That`s a couple of awe inspiring pictures you`ve put up there mate.... and,as you say...... "So young":disappointed2: ... Heroes, one an` all mind.
I`ve actually bought a Self propelled 110 ,but i shall certainly try to model/shape some of the figures to represent those guys.... when i find a donor kit that is!!
Thanks for taking the time to post that up,i really appreciate it:thumb2: ,
Andy

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You didn't say if 8" or 175mm, so here are a couple dio ideas. Auto rammer on these were so unreliable & time consuming (had to lower barrel to use rammer) that motivated crews used old school steel pipe with rubber tip to hand ram projectiles.
Hillbilly armor added.
8in M110 VN.jpg
Retube 175 process.
175retube4.jpg
Photographer caught this moment perfectly.
american-gunners-of-b-bty-6-bn-27th-artillery-fire-an-m110-8-inch-howitzer-during-a-fire-suppo...jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you want to make an even more impressive diorama of that, there are also photos of M88 ARVs being used instead of the wrecker trucks in this picture.

View attachment 432464
And notice the empty propellant container chained to the right rear of the vehicle, for holding the swab for the chamber (at least, I assume that’s what it is that the chap on the right is holding onto).

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Best introduction to armour in this war, if you ask me, is Vietnam Tracks by Simon Dunstan. The original edition is from 1982, off the top of my head, and it was reprinted sometime this century. I read that that edition has some minor changes, but I couldn’t tell you what as I saw no need to buy it after having had the original for decades by now :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You didn't say if 8" or 175mm, so here are a couple dio ideas. Auto rammer on these were so unreliable & time consuming (had to lower barrel to use rammer) that motivated crews used old school steel pipe with rubber tip to hand ram projectiles.
Hillbilly armor added.
View attachment 432463
Retube 175 process.
View attachment 432465
View attachment 432464
Hi Paul,
Thanks again for the top notch pictures :cool: ,
The kit has actually arrived today,(It`s the Italeri M110 Self Propelled Gun,and that one which you said "Hillbilly armour" added is actually one of this kit`s options!!):dizzy:
Excellent footage there thank you Buddy,gives me some good scope for Diorama ideas....... although i STILL haven`t sourced any crew for it that look any good!!:sad:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
View attachment 432485 evil bay , unfortunately from outside the UK
Nice figures there John,thank you:thumb2:,
I have seen them before,during my many sweeps of the internet for "U.S. Vietnam Figures",at some point i`ll probably succumb as they do look great......however,they ain`t the "Howitzer crew" members that i`m after!:sad:
Andy

• Sad

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy, cool they included the option, crews prolly stole or swapped stuff with 155 howitzer crews for hand rammers. Hobby Fan has a selection of VN era GIs & Masterbox has a USA WWII Long Tom artillery crew that might be modified for use.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes indeed Jakko,
I haven`t decided exactly which version i`ll do yet:thinking:,
however,if i do go down that way then i think i may be ok,as i`ve done a little scratch building recently......
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/tonight-long-stick-goes-boom.36328/
If you`re interested then go to page 2 and have a look from about the 4th post down onwards;),
Be warned though,it`s a bit of a lengthy read!!
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes indeed Jakko,
I haven`t decided exactly which version i`ll do yet:thinking:,
however,if i do go down that way then i think i may be ok,as i`ve done a little scratch building recently......
If you`re interested then go to page 2 and have a look from about the 4th post down onwards;),
Be warned though,it`s a bit of a lengthy read!!
Andy
Andy you'll have no problems scratch building , I remember the search light.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::nerd:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
i think i may be ok,as i`ve done a little scratch building recently......
It looks like I missed (or not remembered) that thread, but I gather you scratchbuilt a lizard? :smiling3: I’ll have to read the thread now, I suppose …

By the way, you can link directly to a specific post by right-clicking (or tapping-and-holding on a tablet or smartphone) on the icon with the three linked circled, and then choosing to copy the link.