Is this Silvering?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
I was going to ask a question that Laurie just touched upon above.When you get the colour charts, are they adjusted to account for the different visual effect you get when at scale?

I.E. if I make a model saab 9-5 and spray it in cayenne red it'll look "wrong" to the eye.

So are the colour charts "actual" colours or "adjusted" to account for scale?
No, not all but some do. After all the models the paint will be used on will be all different scales.

I did see a chart showing what percentage to lighten the colour at various scales. Here it is, just found it.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/scale_effect.shtml

T

tecdes

Cannot categorically say Colin but I am sure they are the actual colour. If they had to grade for scale they would have to take into account all the scales 1/72 to 1/24.

Edited bit. Missed Barry's reply but on the same wavelength.

Laurie

C

CDW

Thanks Laurie, it's just something that's puzzled me for ages and I've never asked, I mix all my own paints just to look "about right" and don't use an airbrush for modeling so some things evade my pea brain. Only time I've used an air brush was to do mural/art work on a car and to touch up damage and exact 1-1 scale colour match was easy.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think those lightening factors should be taken as a rough guide to scale effect. There really is no formula. I do it by eye until it looks about right. For example on my current Lancaster build in 1/72 I lightened the 'black' under side colour considerably more than the Dark Earth or Dark Green to go on top. It's down to experience I guess. I would say that on small scale models you can lighten a lot more than you might expect and find that it looks fine. You also have to allow that varnishes tend to darken colours too.

Cheers

Steve

A

Antler Fallen

\ said:
Unfortunately, after spraying with Vallejo Matt varnish (a different bottle from the one last used and which caused white spots—another post), the effect returned more strongly although different, with white patches. I bought some Model Colour (because more opaque than Air) black and Dark Sea grey (to give a matching "off black" for the Lancaster) and painted it on the affected areas: forward of the "A"; between the "A" and the "J"; and aft of the "J". Then re-varnished. The result is much better although not perfect (please see below). I'm not sure why I got silvering in this model (Revell) and not on the other two (Airfix). Apart from the manufacturer difference, I think that the gloss varnish I put on before the decals was not thick enough:View attachment 73935

BTW, Model Colour Dark Sea Grey is much lighter than the Air version, despite the same English name. That caused a bit of confusion:

View attachment 73936

BTW x 2: Does anyone know why Air colour patches are graded while Colour ones are not? Can Air paints be applied thinly to give a paler result? Not in my experience, so far.
The Model Air Patches are graduated because model air is classed as semi transparent and model colour is classed as opaque

:smiling3:

T

tecdes

Interesting assessment but apart from those difficult yellow colours one coat of Model Air I have found obliterates. Even with a thinner of 33% the coverage is dense.

Possible I suppose that with a mixture of priming colour and top colour you may get shining through. As said Yellows are the devil and some blues.

Laurie

A

Antler Fallen

quick little test is to brush paint some over some black text, do a single brush stroke with the colour straight out the bottle. and see how many it takes to hide the text, some colours will cover better then others, we know this from colour theory. but you will be supprised that it can take upto or over 2 coats sometimes. This is also the theory and working behind pre shading models. it only works because the colours are now semi transparent from over thinning to allow them to spray. Do the same with some model colour and i think you will be supprised.

:smiling3:

A

Andy Mac

\ said:
I did see a chart showing what percentage to lighten the colour at various scales. Here it is, just found it.http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/scale_effect.shtml
That's a brilliant reference and source of info, thanks for sharing it Barry.

\ said:
Yes. It is 99% finished and will post some pics soon.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures Steve.